Panic

→ in
Tools    

The incredible William H Macy, Donald Sutherland and Neve Campbell in the same movie. Who could resist that? So I rented it. Turns out little David Dorfman steals the show!
He's the little boy who plays Macy's son in the film. The movie starts out with Macy, a hitman, going to see his shrink. Hmm... interesting. In the waiting room he meets Neve who is cuter than words. From there the story progresses. I won't give away the plot but it's like something I would write... only with different dialog. Tracy Ullman, no slouch herself plays Macy's wife. While her acting was fine I could tell she improved her lines because she messed them up. Lol, she says some stuff that totally doesn't fit her character or the movie. I would probably give this movie a solid C. I was hoping for more really. I mean, no one does quiet panic better than Macy, but we don't really get to see that. And the stuff with the shrink (John Ritter) doesn't really tell us much about his character, instead we learn of his childhood through flashbacks. Donald Sutherland gives the best performance out of the adult stars. He is totally believable as Macy's dad. This movie had a good plot and great actors but it could have done so much more.

The dvd commentary was very interesting. The director, Henry Bromell, says the movie only took 25 days to shoot! And he keeps saying how he wanted a vertical, claustrophobic look to the movie. He also hinted that the little boy can't act. All I can say is wtf?? It's not vertical or claustrophobic and the little boy stole the show! There are times when the boy looks into the camera but it works. Little kids do that. The look right at you. Like when you're in the supermarket and the lady in front of you is holding a child, then the child stares at you. Perfectly normal, and in the movie it makes you feel like you are right there in the scene with the boy at his birthday party. I didn't notice until I heard the commentary but the little boy looking at me through the tv made it like I was there. If I ever make a movie I'm going to let the kids look in the camera. Anyway, I don't think the director knew what he was talking about, but he managed to make a pretty decent movie anyway.

I'm gonna have to rent this DVD. I'm intrigued with how that little boy affects the movie viewer by staring at the camera, as you say, Sun. I like Macy but it may have been the prospect of seeing John Ritter that caused me to avoid this picture . . . I truly do not remember this film in the theater! Weird

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
My boss has seen it and said it wasn't bad, just haven't had the time to watch it for myself.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I liked Panic. Not a great movie, but it certainly deserved a wider audience than it got. Here in the Baltimore/D.C. area it played in two arthouses for a total of about two and-a-half weeks. You really had to be looking for it to find it. I did find it, because with that excellent cast there was no way I was going to miss it.

I think if it had gotten more exposure Sutherland could have wrangled a supporting actor nod or two. Between his work as the low-key but destructive father in Panic and the horny near-sighted astronaut in Space Cowboys, I was really pulling for him. But the supporting categories are always overflowing and there are plenty of annual snubs. Sutherland's work fell into that snubbed category last year. Too bad.

I'd watch William H. Macy in anything, and he's mesmerizing as always. Neve Campbell is quite sexy, I've had a thing for he since I first saw her on screen, and she was surprisingly good in this role. I've never had a problem with John Ritter, and here as with Sling Blade he shows he has more range than the bumbling moron he became famous for on TV. I wish there had been more for Tracy Ullman to do, but that's usually true. The little boy was good, though I wouldn't say he's the best thing about the movie.

Anywho, Panic is one to look for in the video store. I liked it enough in the theater that I went out and immediately scooped up the DVD in June, and director/writer Henry Bromell's commentary was enlightening.

Hey Holden, you're in the DC area? What theaters do you go to downtown? When I go, I usually hit up Dupont Circle, Visions, and on occasion the 3.00 theater in Georgetown. (I like that place becuase they let me in to R rated movies no questions asked.) Also, when the Uptown is showing something good, I go there.

I loved Panic. It was a good movie.

I live out in Ellicott City, but I get into D.C. pretty regularly. I go to theaters all over town, but Dupont Circle usually has the best independent quirky stuff (that's where I saw Panic). My little sister - well, she's 24, but she's still little to me - actually works in the neighborhood, and I'll meet her for dinner and a movie. Too bad the Dupont Circle's theaters aren't in better shape. I'm gonna miss The Avalon, as I wound up there much more often than The Uptown (which is still a great theater, but they usually play movies I don't care about).

If you're interested in revival stuff, keep an eye on what's playing at the Old Greenbelt Theatre. Just saw The Thin Man there last weekend, and the week before it was Monty Python and the Holy Grail. They've got some Hitchcock slated for the end of October. Their website is http://www.pgtheatres.com . I hope the new AFI theater in Silver Spring gets finished sometime soon.

I tend to spend more time in Baltimore theaters, as they're closer and I have more friends there. Have you been to The Charles since the remodeling a few years ago? Great place! And for a multiplex, you can't do better than the Muvico Egyptian 24 (at Arundle Mills).

But basically I go wherever the movies I want to see most are playing. Hell, I drive up to Manhattan a couple times a year to catch a flick or three.