Adam Sandler Movies

→ in
Tools    

I think he's a funny guy, and a talented one, but his movies are weak, stupid, mean spirited, and narrow minded.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I liked his earlier movies better. Happy Gilmore, Billy Madison etc. Those were funny. Big Daddy was a good movie also. I tend to like his movies, but as a comedian I don't think he's funny, and his CD's aren't very funny either. Just my two cents.

I dunno, that whole goat bit is funny...though tollbooth willy is about rough language and little else. Happy Gilmore is Sandler's best...very, VERY funny. Big Daddy takes a close second place.

Yea a few of his CD stuff is good. The Goat, Toll Both Willy, and the Peeper all are good, but I just don't see why everyone else thinks all the other stuff is funny?

The redneck stuff. The weight lifting or sex bit. The excited southener. The Bafoon bit. I don't really find those funny.

Oh one I did like alot though was the Grandma-balls bit!

I liked the Bafoon. Just because it was so bizarre, and goofy as hell. But yeah, it seems some of his stuff is just kind of odd. Movie-wise, though, I'm a big fan.

Rock God
i think adam sandler is funny in certain mediums. his cds are awesome, and all of his characters and routines on snl rocked, but that type of humor doesn't translate well to full length feature films. most of his movies are sort of funny (at times) but mostly they are really cheap laughs. i mean, there's a difference (imo) between genuinely funny (like youre laughing out loud) and sorta funny where you just sort of chuckle a little bit, but you're not gonna really see the movie a second time. for me, almost all adam sandler movies fall into the second category. plus, it gets so tired watching him play the same character movie after movie. he's a funny guy, but if he's creating these characters himself, he's not being very creative. and just for the record, the waterboy was one of the dumbest movies i've ever seen. oh, man, i've seen funnier things on cnn. that movie was horrible. keep in mind, i LOVE snl, and i see almost any movie translated from an snl sketch just because i'm a diehard fan, and although they suck sometimes, i still give them a shot. i'm not one to give up, so if a new adam sandler movie comes out, chances are good that i'll rent it, so you can't accuse me of being unfair. but really, any kevin smith or farrelly brothers movie is worlds ahead of the next sandler crap-o-rama.

Originally posted by BrodieMan
i think adam sandler is funny in certain mediums. his cds are awesome, and all of his characters and routines on snl rocked, but that type of humor doesn't translate well to full length feature films. most of his movies are sort of funny (at times) but mostly they are really cheap laughs. i mean, there's a difference (imo) between genuinely funny (like youre laughing out loud) and sorta funny where you just sort of chuckle a little bit, but you're not gonna really see the movie a second time. for me, almost all adam sandler movies fall into the second category. plus, it gets so tired watching him play the same character movie after movie. he's a funny guy, but if he's creating these characters himself, he's not being very creative. and just for the record, the waterboy was one of the dumbest movies i've ever seen. oh, man, i've seen funnier things on cnn. that movie was horrible. keep in mind, i LOVE snl, and i see almost any movie translated from an snl sketch just because i'm a diehard fan, and although they suck sometimes, i still give them a shot. i'm not one to give up, so if a new adam sandler movie comes out, chances are good that i'll rent it, so you can't accuse me of being unfair. but really, any kevin smith or farrelly brothers movie is worlds ahead of the next sandler crap-o-rama.
Amen Amen!!!

The wedding singer was his best. The water boy was o.k. All other Adam Sandler movies suck.

His films work best when he is a nice average guy surronded by wierdos and offbeat characters.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
You know, I honestly think Adam Sandler is a good thing for movies. Lemme say a thing or two, and then I'll tell you why.

two words: HAPPY GILMORE!!

Ahem. Now, on to why.

Our illustrious Mr. Sandler (on film) is a jerk. An @ss. An idiot. A bafoon. Weird. Entirely normal. A cutie. A sweetie. Ignorant. Helpless. Well-meaning. Crude. Greedy about women. Nice to his mother. A pushover when it comes to women. Cruel to the weak. Weak himself. The best friend you ever had. The most useless friend you ever had. A liar. Sheepish. Repentant. Entirely male (farting, beer drinking, violent tendencies, and running with the wolf pack). Entirely childish (farting, beer drinking, violent tendencies, and running with the wolf pack, plus, deep down he's a good little boy and he just wants to be loved).

If you think about it, all of the above = todays generic male, aged 20-35. There are a couple generations out there with a bit of Mr. Sandler inside of them. Our lovely Adam gets up on stage or on film or on CD and acts out the little Adam in all of us. I include myself cuz, well, I'm sure lots of other girls would too. Or maybe just the tomboys, I dunno. I have violent tendencies and cruel urges. I don't act on them. But we all say/think such things, and most of us don't do them. What I like is that Adam is honest about it. He will yell at a little old lady if she flips him off. Cause there are little old ladies who do that. It's shocking. Like the Wedding Singer - we didn't expect to see that little chick get up there and rap. Sandler's character didn't, either. In his way he shows us there is always something new, some new twist on things, some surprise. He says what shouldn't be said, does what shouldn't be done, makes you realize something IS that you never knew existed. He's honest. In some way he turns what's bad into something good, and to my thinking, what needn't necessarily have been "bad" in the first place.

And I appreciate his humor. I don't always crack up at it. But to see a man go out there and make a fool of himself and act out all the things that are IN us that WE don't act out ... I appreciate that.

The Sandler on screen is an everyday guy. He is not a superhero. He has good and bad sides and gets on your nerves. Then again by the end of the movie he does good. He gets the girl, he learns his lesson, and you end knowing he'll go on behaving himself and has, to some degree, come to terms with whatever the hell was afflicting him. Sucking it up, growing up, whatever.

So, Sandler on film would be, I suppose, like watching teen angst get resolved. He's a good phase for us to get through on screen. I say it's good he's out there. Yeah it's true, we could do without Little Nicky or the Water Boy but even those have their moments. No one said he was a film genius so he's going to make films with 20 sore spots and 3 gems. So, I'll rent those and go to the theater to watch the ones with 18 gems and 2 sore spots. I still think the gems are worth it.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Well, he does fine in movies where he doesn't have some sort of funny talk. I hated the fact that the Waterboy, and Little Nicky had him doing one of these. It's just stupid. He does better with small parts if you ask me. Like Airheads for example. Not the best movie ever made, but he didn't have many lines in it and was hilarious.

You give the boy too much and he doesn't know what to do with it. Plus the same three guys are in just about all of his movies. I liked Wedding Singer, Big Daddy, Happy Gilmore, and thats it. Billy Madison was ok I guess. Did anyone see Bulletproof?
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Little Nicky was pretty dumb -- I'll readily admit that. Waterboy was so-so. At some points, it was hilarious. Wedding Singer was a great movie -- but the little old lady rapping seemed kind of dumb to me...I'm not sure why, though.

I think Miriam did a fine job of summing Sandler up, though: he has less boundries than the rest of us. Remember the marriage proposal in Big Daddy? That was REALLY funny. Most people would just think the things his character says there.