The MoFo Animated Musicals Hall of Fame

Tools    

Just rewatched Beauty and the Beast for the first time since its theatrical release.

Objectively, there’s nothing wrong this movie. The animation is really beautiful with crisp lines and vibrant colors, the voice acting is solid, and it stays true to the Disney tradition of retelling fairy tales with a more family friendly twist. But subjectively this is not at all my cup of tea. I find the songs a bit annoying and the film – with so many of its characters being enchanted objects – relies too heavily on fantasy elements. The result of which is a vague feeling of boredom and disconnect for me and a not good score for the film.

+

Incidentally, 10 year old me wasn't a fan of this movie either, which is why I haven't watched it in 24 years.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Why no interest in South Park Raul? How about animated versions of The Bachelor or Cupcake Wars?
This made me lol.

Just don't like the show a ton.

Master of My Domain
@MV

Sad to know that you don't like what I consider the best film to come out of the Disney Rennesiance age. The story is such a simple one but incredibly moving, often achieving what live-action films can't do or simply fail to do, and the supporting characters are great instead of the usual annoyance they have.

@Raul

Is it because you can't handle fierce satire and proper humor?

@MV

Sad to know that you don't like what I consider the best film to come out of the Disney Rennesiance age. The story is such a simple one but incredibly moving, often achieving what live-action films can't do or simply fail to do, and the supporting characters are great instead of the usual annoyance they have.
The story is part of the problem. They waste so much time with Gaston and with the stupid enchanted candlestick, clock, teapot, etc, that they don't build the romance enough to make me believe it. I know it's a kids movie, but they still could've spent more time allowing Belle and The Beast to actually get to know one another. That way by the time the spell was broken, I could have been cheering or crying instead of just rolling my eyes.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Well, I am going to finally get started tonight (hopefully tomorrow night for sure). I want to make it a double feature. So, I will go for "The Nightmare Before Christmas" and "Fantasia". I haven't decided which I want to watch first, though. Maybe "Fantasia". It has been a longer amount of time since I have seen that one. I just hope it is worth it. When it has been years since I have last watched a movie, I sometimes have a different opinion than I did before (it is usually for the negative - it is like my time of not watching something makes me see that it wasn't as good as I thought it was). I hope "Fantasia" won't have that opposite effect on me.

Just rewatched Beauty and the Beast for the first time since its theatrical release.
+

The story is part of the problem. They waste so much time with Gaston and with the stupid enchanted candlestick, clock, teapot, etc, that they don't build the romance enough to make me believe it. I know it's a kids movie, but they still could've spent more time allowing Belle and The Beast to actually get to know one another. That way by the time the spell was broken, I could have been cheering or crying instead of just rolling my eyes.
You gave 27 Dresses a 3/5 and one of my favorite movies 2.5+

You gave 27 Dresses a 3/5 and one of my favorite movies 2.5+
I gave 27 Dresses that rating back when I was still a fan of romantic comedies. I don't think I've watched that movie in 5-6 years, so I don't know what I'd rate it now. Though it does have the benefit of not being a musical, so it would probably still rate higher than Beauty and the Beast.

I gave 27 Dresses that rating back when I was still a fan of romantic comedies. I don't think I've watched that movie in 5-6 years, so I don't know what I'd rate it now. Though it does have the benefit of not being a musical, so it would probably still rate higher than Beauty and the Beast.

@MV

@Raul

Is it because you can't handle fierce satire and proper humor?
It's because I need humor and it offers none.

It's because I need humor and it offers none.
South Park offers no humour? Don't make me come over there Raul . I admit it can't compete with the hilarious writing and cutting edge satire of shows like The Hills and Two and a Half Men

I'll have to watch it again to make sure I'm remembering things right, but I pretty much agree with MV on the romance in BATB. There is barely any build up, also I understand that the Beast has a vested interest in this romance working, but Belle is supposed to be this intelligent young woman yet she is taken by the Beast in a few swift maneuvers.

Alright, alright Camo. I'll be fair enough and I'll give it a shot. I don't think I'll laugh as much as I do when watching Boy Meets World or Family Matters though

Alright, alright Camo. I'll be fair enough and I'll give it a shot. I don't think I'll laugh as much as I do when watching Boy Meets World or Family Matters though
That's all I ask

Also Little House you can't forget Little House

Started of with this since it was available on Hulu, but only for a limited time. They have around 4 different animation styles going on. Either one is pretty good except for the squiggly BS that looks like it is out of a crappy Adult Swim cartoon. But the parallel between the contemporary story as well as the Ramayama was very good. And the jazz number with the recordings of Annette Hanshaw were a very nice touch. I like it. Thanks JJ.