How I see MovieForums and You

Tools    

I'm not here just to discover new movies. I don't need a movie forum to help me with that. I'm here because people who watch a lot of movies need an advanced form of mental stimulation to work with if they're gonna go looking for voices and personalities to interact with on the internet. I am a robot and this has been my mission for a few years.

I agree with Vicky, I never in a million years would come across films like Perfect Blue had it not been for you beautiful bitches.
Yeah, Perfect Blue - indeed all of Kon's films - is among the many greats that I probably would never have seen if I hadn't come here.

I also got exposed to loads of new songs on here as well. Whitesnake's "Is this love" is now one of my favourite songs now that I listen to a lot and I only came across it because of a song tournament.
I got exposed to a lot of new songs when I was playing in the tournaments as well. Granted, I didn't like a lot of them, but there are two that are now in heavy rotation on my iPod - Arcade Fire's "Sprawl II" (which Camo nominated) and William Elliot Whitmore's "Diggin' My Grave" (which Godoggo nominated).

"Is This Love" is a great song, btw.

The Song Tournaments taught me A LOT about music, I do feel.

Too bad they're on the decline. I enjoyed the music tutoring over the attempts at movie tutoring.

I liked the Song Tournaments a lot more when they were more spontaneous. I don't like this being planned weeks/months in advance thing that's going on now, which is partly why I quit participating. They also seem to drag on far too long.

I liked the Song Tournaments a lot more when they were more spontaneous. I don't like this being planned weeks/months in advance thing that's going on now, which is partly why I quit participating. They also seem to drag on far too long.
Um... YEAH.

Planned tournaments have been killing them for me.

You should host a spontaneous, but invite only, Song Tournament sometime.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I love you, too, Swan. :*
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Lately, it's been perfect and fairly peaceful in the threads I frequent. I believe my new found MoFo enjoyment is the direct result of all the IMDb and MoFo attention whores who have been keeping each other busy in various threads. Probably more work for Yoda, who pounced on the opportunity and sent out the invites. He can only blame himself for the extra work, which I'm sure he doesn't really mind.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
If we're gonna get sappy, you know I'm gonna chime in.

The most significant thing this forum has done for me is to help get me out of my shell. Some of you know this already, but when I returned to the forum in… 2013, was it?… I was still the reclusive socially anxious weirdo I had been throughout my life, with the added bonus that I was recovering from a mental breakdown. While I have no fear posting whatever comes to mind now - which might not be a good thing for some of you - at the time, I had always been nervous posting my thoughts on here. Not sure why. That was the first way I pushed myself, and even if it was a virtual push, I’m glad I did. I gained a lot of friendships here that continue to this day, and felt valued and appreciated. Honestly - I have NEVER felt that way until I joined this forum. Never. The best shtick I’ve gotten socially all my life was third wheel. For some reason though, most of you guys embraced me. It boosted my confidence immensely.

When I moved, I was afraid of losing the one real life “friendship” I had, with this dude who seemed to value me less and less every day. But he was my only connection to the outside world. I didn’t want to lose that. Thank goodness I went with the move though, because when I got here my passions led me to get out there, meet people and gain friends, two of whom I consider like brothers now, and one of those being literally the best friend I’ve ever had. And my social anxiety, at one time crippling, is disappearing now.

I think I have this place to thank for that. Yeah this place has caused me paranoia and stress at times. There are people here who straight up don’t like me. There’s a lot of bickering amongst some of us, and I hate that. I hate that I contribute to it, that I’m so pathetic at times to play a part in breaking my ties with people. But I’ve realized I’m still figuring the social game out, and if my intentions are to be on good terms with people, even if I fail completely, well that’s all I can do.

If this thread is about the goodness of MoFo, and if my humanity means anything to anyone, then I guess the point of this post is to show you how much it’s helped someone. Without this place, I’d still be hidden away in a corner. I truly believe that. MoFo has allowed me to learn and be creative but, more importantly, grow as a person.

Suspect's Reviews

I figured I would chime in real quick about how I see the forum.

About a month ago I came here from a guess. I typed in "movie forum" on google after having spent a couple of yrs on the bluray.com forum. It was pretty awful there. Very condescending vibe, and not much real film talk, surprisingly. I learned a lot there about the technology of film transfers, etc, but never forged any friendships.

After my first week here, I already had a few regular upvoters on my side, and I wasn't used to that. So, thank you. It's a small gesture that means something.

This place seems to have the common ground I was looking for. Very nice people. But not "too" nice. Perfec.

I will ask that some just bear with me while I work out some of my internet ticks (ie wordy over complicated paragraphs, etc). I'm a bit of a jokester and am used to having to entertain myself.

So far, off to a good start. Thanks for the welcome mat and continued stimulation for this movie lover.

Legend in my own mind
I like the chat and bantz

I don't really view anyone as more or less informed than I am. We all have different tastes and I know what I like and what I don't.
Films are subjective and overall the way I view films changed before I joined this site, in fact I probably joined the site because the way I viewed films changed.
Most of my friends like films but don't like to watch as many or talk about them as much as I do.
I therefore had to find a social groups that did, and here you are.

I think that in my sort time here, I have appreciated the diversity of views and opinions on films and I am more open minded in my viewing.

I would still say that 50% of the films mentioned on these boards I have never heard of.

Thanks for making me feel so welcome.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
i just wish i had chosen a different username when i joined 12 years ago. i don't think i realized at the time i was going to be so into my membership here. oh well.

i don't know if i'm the 'smart' one in my "group of friends" - i'm the quiet one and the giggly one, and i do know more about movies than most people i talk to, but i enjoy having friends that know at least as much or more than i do cause i learn from them - like i have learned from many of you.

i think the most loyal members of this forum stay mainly because they enjoy the vibe around this place, which i enjoy (usually). it has its moments a little too frequently at times, and i'm a lot more liberal than i feel most people here are, but this place always tends to charm me more than frustrates me, and if i get too frustrated, i know i can always take a break for as long as i want, and it'll be waiting for me when i get back. i've seen a lot of people i really liked come and go over the years, some i miss, and a couple i really miss ( @honeykid! @wintertriangles! @Harry Lime!), but it's nice that this place has not only survived all these years, but flourished. i appreciate the Mods for being on top of the spamming and such, too.

let me also share a bit. I was very disorganized and chaotic due to my personal problems not able to do anything. My girlfriend with my son left me, my parents wont talk to me etc. . i was just Jumping from one book to another, from one movie to another, from one relationship to another, never able to finish anything. Not able to concentrate. Always coming back from work with lots of plans about writing, reading, studying etc. ending up with senseless staring at TV or playing some stupid video games or just staring at wall. So, this said, i was actually happy to join this forum. I am slowly coming back to senses and regaining my discipline to spend my time with something useful. And I do like those organized and planed Song tournaments, HOFs and such . It makes me to plan ahead to slowly engaging in writing, systematically watching movies and, in little steps, making an order to my life. So yes, i like it here, ppl are fine, and im planing to stick around

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
This place seems to have the common ground I was looking for. Very nice people. But not "too" nice. Perfec.
I like this line.

Aw shucks.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

My wife texted me during work today and asked me if I could get Eagle Eye. Eagle Eye? Somebody at her work told her it was a great movie. I told her to wise up and just let me do the picking and choosing. Eagle Eye my ass.

My wife texted me during work today and asked me if I could get Eagle Eye. Eagle Eye? Somebody at her work told her it was a great movie. I told her to wise up and just let me do the picking and choosing. Eagle Eye my ass.
Loved this post. Not that bad though. Beats the hell out of anything Rob Zombie does.