What was the movie that made you love movies?

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Jason and the Argonauts is the first movie I remember seeing. Gave me nightmares and the nickname Gorgon from my lovely brothers. Spartacus I think was the next movie.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
maybe The Private Eyes (1980)

My Grandma had this on VHS and me and the cousins would watch it EVERY chance we got. Later, movies like The NeverEnding Story, The Last Starfighter, Enemy Mine, and The Terminator really all played a fundamental role in my love for movies.

hrm.
To be honest? the HBO channel probably had the most influence over me as a kid. That was my gateway drug, sitting home along each summer. I was an only-child, out where no other kids lived, and mom worked a full-time job, so it was just me and my loverly HBO lineup. That's where I met the Fraggles!

HBO, take me home....

Besides a 24/7 stream of anything any everything, HBO also had break segments called HBO Behind the Scenes. Those little featurettes blew my mind. I've always obsessed with how things are made. These clips gave me a front-row seat and excited me more than any single movie could have.

Then the Fraggles...

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
i saw this long time ago and liked it too. Thanks for a reminder to watch it again
The pleasure is all mine It's hard to believe, that love to cinematography can started with this movie, but that excactly is what happened.

This might just do nobody any good.
Since there wasn't any one movie in particular I decided to post the ones that had the most impact on me during my first years of attentive movie watching.

In viewing order:

Jason and the Argonauts is the first movie I remember seeing. Gave me nightmares and the nickname Gorgon from my lovely brothers. Spartacus I think was the next movie.
Snap — I chose Jason and the Argonauts too .

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Snap — I chose Jason and the Argonauts too .
That skeleton army freaked me out big time. So did the cyclops.

He was great in that film wasn't he? Brilliant design for the character too I thought.

That skeleton army freaked me out big time. So did the cyclops.
Everything about the skeletons worked didn't it? I think the freakiest bit is after they advance and then just shriek as they charge the Argonauts .

Talos was scary as well. I love that scene where he comes to life.

JURASSIC PARK
I still remember how crazy i was to watch this movie on tv as i didn't have any other resource to watch movies, i used to note down the date and time and just count days for the movie and when the day came then start to count hours for it.
To be honest still if I see this movie running on any channel i immediately stop my work and watch this movie as for me it is reliving my childhood days
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	1670.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	31575  

The Notebook:

mill worker Noah Calhoun (Ryan Gosling) and rich girl Allie (Rachel McAdams) are desperately in love. But her parents don't approve. When Noah goes off to serve in World War II, it seems to mark the end of their love affair. In the interim, Allie becomes involved with another man (James Marsden). But when Noah returns to their small town years later, on the cusp of Allie's marriage, it soon becomes clear that their romance is anything but over.

I have always liked films as far back as i can remember. First might have been A Night at the Opera, which i think i was taken to see at the National Film Theatre, or possibly the Academy. I thought it ws hilarious.

Weve all seen alot of great movies, but theres one film that made you appreciate movies more than the casual viewer. Most of the time it isnt something epic, but more forgettable. Except to you.

So this isnt another Whats Your Favorite Movie?! thread where you could list a bunch of films, but what can you remember was the film that made you seek film. Made you a movie buff. Theres only one.

My choice I never saw coming...

The World According To Garp.

Why I have no idea. I was enthralled. I was like 12 or 13 and cried at the end. From his childhood on was just the quirkiest most bizarre story ever told, but with a fluidity and rhythm which never seems contrived. Not yet have I seen a director handle such eccentricities and bizarreness without overdoing it. Most of the time theyd just make it a stupid comedy rather than try and sell it like the book read. I read the book too and its actually weirder. George Roy Hill was a better storyteller than John Irving. Speilbergs JAWS was better than Benchleys for that matter but I digress.
Glenn Close, and John Lithgow made their break in this flick. Both were awesome. This is a must see!
This is the second and last thread I've bumped today. I reqouted the first post for explanation purposes and for others that don't always read the whole thread first. I like to bump this thread every 6 months-1 year just to get all the new posters at the sites movie buff origins. If anyone says The Happening though they should be banned.

I said earlier in the thread that Jason and the Argonauts was most likely the movie that made me love movies. It might even have been, going further back, another stop-motion extravaganza, Jack the Giant Killer (1962), and one scene in particular, which I go into here:

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=49651

More recently I would say a film that reinvigorated my interest was Dredd, specifically because of the Slo-Mo sequences.

Di je Karlo?
I first became truly interested in movies about half a year ago. It started with Inglourious Basterds, went on with There Will be Blood, Fantastic Mr. Fox, etc., though I think Pulp Fiction, Fight Club and The Terminator duology are what solidified it.

FREAKING OUT!!!

Nice clip, Dani, and I too enjoyed "Jason..." The first "skeleton" fight I saw was in The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, from 1958. The skeleton sword fight with Sinbad in the 1958 film scared the tweet out of me, to where I never forgot the image.

It wasn't until years later that I realized it was stop motion photography by the innovative Ray Harryhausen, who embellished the skeleton sequence in 1963's "Jason". Very clever.

And of course both films were wonderfully scored by the inimitable Bernard Herrmann.

~Doc