The MoFo Top Video Games List: The Countdown!

Tools    

18: Super Mario World

Released: November 1990
Developer: Nintendo EAD
Platform: Super NES, Game Boy Advance

88 points: One 5th, two 6ths, one 9th, one 16th
BOO YAH!

My other Mario game! Ladies and gentleman, the very first video game I played on the very first console my family owned, my favorite Super Mario title, and one of my top ten all time favorite video games PERIOD!

As much as I enjoyed the first Mario Bros game and Duck Hunt on the original Nintendo, THIS was the game that made me a fan of video games. It was an excellent 2D platformer in the classic Mario style but added a few key features. You still had the classic power ups like the Mushroom and the Fire Flower, and the invincibility star but added now was the cape. Flight was nothing new to Mario, but the cape blows the Mario 3 Leaf and Tanooki Suit clean out of the water. The ability to fly, glide, swoop, and slow fall added to the game play more then before. But most impotently, this where we got introduced to Yoshi. Adding even more game play options and added to the fun.

The levels were fun, you had plenty of alternative secret roads, and special stages like hidden fortresses and Star Road, the end castle for each stage was one of the Koopalings, and you had other stages like haunted houses, and the final castle stage and Bowser fight was a lot of fun. Add in cool new enemies and a bitchin soundtrack and you have easily one of the best games for the SNES, if not for the entire 16 bit era. It was agame I loved so much I got a copy for the GameBoy Advanced. It was a perfect duplication of the game for a handheld console, and was great to revisit so many years after the original launch.

As much as I love the other Mario games from the NES (I really enjoyed 2 despite the vastly different play style) I still prefer this game to even the massively popular Super Mario 3. Glad to see it made the list.

Well that is two out of three of my Mario Games that made the list. Now we shall see if more games from my Nintendo saturated childhood will show up.

6. Super Mario World (SNES & GBA)
18. Mario 64 (N64)

I was born after both the Nes and Snes came out. The 5th Generation of Consoles started being released the year i was born and finished when i was about four. Was lucky i had older sisters who liked Mario or i probably wouldn't have gotten to play anything before the Sega Saturn/PS One/N64 generation until years later when they wouldn't have had as much of an effect on me.

The People's Republic of Clogher
8. Super Mario World (SNES & GBA)
Geez, you almost gave me a heart attack, dude. You had Super Mario World at 6!

I had one of these:

They called it 'The NES for real gamers'.

WARNING: "The NES for real gamers" spoilers below
They didn't, really
Real gamers played Ludus duodecim scriptorum when I was young.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
It really looks like Dragon Ball. I guess Akira Toriyama was involved in the character designs. I never played it though.

Try this video instead:

Okay, so Tacitus sent my my ballot. Seems I have been working off an old draft. Let me post my updated list of my list so far.

6. Super Mario World (SNES)
14. Mario 64 (N64)
17. Diablo 2 (PC)
23. Star Craft (PC)
25. Super Mario Brothers (NES)

Seems in the ballot I did send I did indeed have Diablo II and Starcract on it. Which is good since those are game I played a bunch.

Also I actually had 5 Mario games on my ballot instead of 3. Including the original Super Mario Brothers.

A system of cells interlinked
Deus Ex changed everything. Super groundbreaking at the time. The depth of lore and story was unmatched at the time, managing to pack every conspiracy theory around into one game. After I bought the game, I just couldn't stop playing it.

Had I submitted a list Deus Ex would have been my #1.

I've played a small amount of the first Deus Ex game. I thought I had it on Steam, but it's not in my library. Either it was available to play for free for a limited time, or I played it on someone else's computer. Unless I'm crazy and I totally imagined having played it.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I've played a small amount of the first Deus Ex game. I thought I had it on Steam, but it's not in my library. Either it was available to play for free for a limited time, or I played it on someone else's computer. Unless I'm crazy and I totally imagined having played it.
Your implant has malfunctioned.