Movie where bug nest can mimic face

Tools    

Might be a long shot but its a horror movie that came out in the 90’s similar to arachnaphobia. The only thing I can remember about it, is that its about some kind of bug that builds its house in the dirt but is able to mimick structures. At the end of movie they kill someone and mimick the guys dying face in the sand? Any ideas?

Moved to Movie Questions. In the future, please take a moment to place new threads in the correct forum. Thanks.

I've also renamed your thread to follow the Movie Questions thread title guidelines.

I think there's something like this in The Mummy with beetles. Also something like this in Mimic. Best guess is the latter, even though that's not really sand (mentioned because otherwise similar and it's common for people's memories to contain elements from more than one thing).

I remember a short story from the 1970s. It was about a lab researcher who got a hold of two alien bug colonies. He set them up in his lab. He would give food to both colonies, and they would become more populous. He would then only put food by one colony which would cause them to battle. He would give one tools/weapons. He did this to study how they both adapted/fought/etc. He kept this up until one colony won over the other. At the end, the winning colony built an image of the human which indicated they knew what he had done and would come after him, I think. I don't know if it's related to your movie.

I can't remember the author/title.

That was an Outer Limits episode. From the revival series in 1995. From the Showtime channel, I think. This was the first episode, called The Sandkings.

I looked at the IMDB. Yep, it lists GRRM as one of the authors so the episode was based on his novel. Other than Game Of Thrones, I know nothing of his work. And I never read the books. Your description is 99% accurate for the show. This was the pilot for the series and it was a 93 minute 'movie'.