Movie about a high school boy realizing that his friend is his love

Tools    

I have been wanting to find this movie I saw some 10-15 (or more) years ago. It is about a boy in high school who has a good friend (a girl), who he is really close to and they spend a lot of time together as friends. The boy is in love with a popular girl (cheerleader) in the school, however that girl does not even notice him.
I clearly remember the end of the movie, that is: the boy and his (girl) friend are at an empty school (baseball?) stadium (it is dark, but the stadium is lit), and the boy realizes that he can never get his dream girl, but when he tells his friend who is comforting him what he would like in a girl, he realizes that he has been getting that from his (girl) friend all along, and it is that girl friend who he has feelings for.
Sorry if my description is not informative, but hopefully someone will remember the title of that movie. Thank you.

Thank you Gideon58 and mark f. I watched the trailers, and I am afraid the one I saw was a different one. But thanks for the suggestions.

This sounds very generic to me, like there are a hundred films (or television, whatever) like this.
High school guy wants the cheerleader, who wants nothing to do with him. By the end of the film he realizes he really loves the "girl next door", and the last scene is in the school's stadium . . .
I think you are going to need to give us more information to distinguish this from any number of high school romance films.

@KEVP: I know :-))), but was hoping anyway. I did not realize what a cliche it really is.... @SeeingisBelieving: thank you - will research that movie

I wouldn't have thought of "Gregory's Girl" because there isn't a cheerleader in it, because it is set (and made) in Scotland, where teenagers don't become cheerleaders. Also, the sport is Soccer. But yeah, it is kindof a Scottish version of this basic formula.

maybe secret admirer (1985)?

super