50's HoF - Part Two

Tools    

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Welcome to the 50's...

...again!

Everyone knows how this works.
(Friendly Mushroom described the rules so perfectly in the last HoF, I'll just steal them.)

1. Everyone nominates a film by sending it to me by means of PM. Everyone watches them. Everyone ranks them. One film wins.
2. The films need to have been made and released in the 50's. If you aren't sure if a film is a 50's film, ask me and I'll arbitrate its credibility.
3. The only five films you CANNOT nominate are The 400 Blows, Sansho the Baliff, In A Lonely Place, Paths of Glory and Witness for Prosecution as they have already won HoF's.
4. A different rule from the previous HoF: essential movies are eligible and acceptable. This was something discussed in the 50s HoF (Part One) Thread, so there isn't any kind of discouragement to anyone who wishes to nominate a giant from this decade and that usually wouldn't take part on this kind of HoFs. I won't also discourage movies nominated in other HoFs that didn't win those HoFs.

5. Please send me your nomination before April 20th. If you have any questions, please tell me.

Please, pleaase, only take part on this if you have the full intention on watching and commenting about all the movies. I know real life can be a pain in the ass sometimes and we all here understand if something unexpected appears that makes you unable to watch all the movies. But people dropping out has been way too common lately and it's unfair to everyone who always watches everything!

Have fun!!!

Participants:

neiba
gbgoodies (list received)
Citizen Rules (list received)
Friendly Mushroom! (list received)
seanc (list received)
cricket (list received)
rauldc14 (list received)
Gatsby (dropped out)
the samoan lawyer
Godoggo (dropped out)
Nope1172
AlexWilder (list received)

Deadline for sending your list is July 16th.

All About Eve (1950, Joseph L. Mankiewicz)
nominated by Godoggo

This is a movie that completely deserves to be in the HoF based on dialogue alone. The entire cast puts in stellar performances and Bette Davis is as good as it gets. Immensely quotable and a fantastic fabulous ride, there isn't a movie that I would stand behind more for being the movie of the 50's.
DISQUALIFIED
Detective Story
(1951, William Wyler)
nominated by Citizen Rules

The Steel Helmet
(1951, Samuel Fuller)
nominated by the samoan lawyer

Strangers on a Train
(1951, Alfred Hitchcock)
nominated by neiba

The Band Wagon
(1953, Vincente Minnelli)
nominated by Friendly Mushroom!

The Hitch-Hiker
(1953, Ida Lupino)
nominated by Nope1172

I hope you guys consider this film for your 50s lists, it is a classic noir-thriller.

Tokyo Story
(1953, Yasujirô Ozu)
nominated by rauldc14

I Vitelloni
(1953, Federico Fellini)
nominated by Gatsby

After the failure of Rules of the Game, I was reluctant about nominating this movie, but I don't know, maybe you guys will get something out of it.
DISQUALIFIED

Dial M for Murder
(1954, Alfred Hitchcock)
nominated by seanc

The Killing
(1956, Stanley Kubrick)
nominated by AlexWilder

12 Angry Men (1957, Sidney Lumet)
nominated by gbgoodies

The Big Country (1958, William Wyler)
nominated by cricket

An epic film that I don't hear enough about, with a great director and cast. It's a movie that offers a whole lot, and it's available at Starz On Demand.

Oh what the hell. I'll join!

Again, Sorry about that essential film bs last time.
No need to be sorry, I agreed with you and I'm sure I'm not the only one! This one will be different on that subject, not better or worse, just different! It's nice that Mofos have so many different alternatives!

No need to be sorry, I agreed with you and I'm sure I'm not the only one! This one will be different on that subject, not better or worse, just different! It's nice that Mofos have so many different alternatives!
I totally agree with Neiba, FM you're an excellent host and I look forward to being in another of your Hofs!

BTW I actually submitted a non-essential nom for the 50s Part 2. I'm pretty sure almost no one has seen it...

FM, I'm glad you joined the 50s Part 2

Sorry guys, but I'm gonna have to drop out of this HoF. I feel like too much of the films I watch have been controlled by HoFs, and so I'm gonna take a break. Thank you guys for watching Adaptation and sharing your thoughts. Sorry to be an inconvenience.
What happened to your being 'controlled by HoFs'? You just dropped out of the 9th Hof and now you're joining this one, care to explain that?

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I want in. Is there any certain way that you want the nomination sent? I mean do you want a description of why we are nominating it, a pic or anything else? Also I have no idea what this essential movie business is, but I'm assuming that since it isn't in effect that any 50s movie is eligible?

I want in. Is there any certain way that you want the nomination sent? I mean do you want a description of why we are nominating it, a pic or anything else? Also I have no idea what this essential movie business is, but I'm assuming that since it isn't in effect that any 50s movie is eligible?
If you want a particular pic being posted you can send it to me or else I'll just use the movie poster. About the description, I'm not very strict about it, if someone wants to write something I'll post it together with the film name and poster. Of the nominations received so far none had a description and that's still ok, so your call!

And yes, any 50s movie is eligible!
On the past 50s HoF, Friendly Mushroom asked for people avoiding any essential 50s HoF so that people could find more hidden gems but we all decided that on this one we would put no limits on what people wanted to nominate.

Woody Allen is a pedophille
What happened to your being 'controlled by HoFs'? You just dropped out of the 9th Hof and now you're joining this one, care to explain that?
I know I sound pretty hypocritical. The 50s is a genre that I am really interested in, so i decided that I would join this one. I think my problem before was my eyes were to big for my stomach, but if I only join one at a time, I think I should be ok. I really wasn't gonna join this one too, but then I saw a movie I really wanted to nominate, so I just did.

I know I sound pretty hypocritical. The 50s is a genre that I am really interested in, so i decided that I would join this one. I think my problem before was my eyes were to big for my stomach, but if I only join one at a time, I think I should be ok. I really wasn't gonna join this one too, but then I saw a movie I really wanted to nominate, so I just did.
When you join a Hof, it's a contract that you make with other people. You give your word and promise to watch all the films, in exchange we give our word to watch your film. I watched your film for the 9th Hof but you didn't watch mine...and I had seen your film before and hated it, so I had to spend 2 hours of my free time to watch your movie again, then you drop out, that's not fair.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I understand that people over commit themselves and have to drop out, but it seems a bit odd to drop out of one HoF and then join another one while the first one is still going on. The 9th HoF is still going on until June.

Woody Allen is a pedophille
When you join a Hof, it's a contract that you make with other people. You give your word and promise to watch all the films, in exchange we give our word to watch your film. I watched your film for the 9th Hof but you didn't watch mine...and I had seen your film before and hated it, so I had to spend 2 hours of my free time to watch your movie again, then you drop out, that's not fair.
I'm sorry if you feel this way, I really am. There is no excuse for dropping out of a HoF, it is a sh*tty thing to do, I accept that. I have run a HoF and have had people drop out, it sucks. So I'm sorry.
I understand that people over commit themselves and have to drop out, but it seems a bit odd to drop out of one HoF and then join another one while the first one is still going on. The 9th HoF is still going on until June.
I think the reason for this is because I only want to try and do 1 HoF at a time, and this is the one I am most interested in.