Neiba's All-Time Top 100 (2015 Edition)

→ in
Tools    

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible

The Pawnbroker

Sydney Lumet
USA

But this little brain, that's the real key you see. With this little brain you go out and you buy a piece of cloth and you cut that cloth in two and you go and sell it for a penny more than you paid for it. Then you run right out and buy another piece of cloth, cut it into three pieces and sell it for three pennies profit. But, my friend, during that time you must never succumb to buying an extra piece of bread for the table or a toy for a child, no. You must immediately run out and get yourself a still larger piece cloth and so you repeat this process over and over and suddenly you discover something. You have no longer any desire, any temptation to dig into the Earth to grow food or to gaze at a limitless land and call it your own, no, no. You just go on and on and on repeating this process over the centuries over and over and suddenly you make a grand discovery. You have a mercantile heritage! You are a merchant. You are known as a usurer, a man with secret resources, a witch, a pawnbroker, a sheenie, a makie and a kike!

A tale about an old Jew that survived Nazi Holocaust, lives day by day hiding his emotions from himself and the world until he is forced to face the past and everything he left behind.

Lumet had this ability to make every single actor on his set give the perfomance of a life-time! It's no different with Rod Steiger, as the old man running from the living. His array of emotions is mindblowingly wide, going from extreme coldness till an overwhelming burst of emotions.
Also, a great direction from Lumet, making wonderful use of all the settings and a beautiful black and white cinematography.

Le Concert
a.k.a. The Concert
Radu Mihailleanu
France

An orchestra is a world, Ivan. Everybody brings their own instruments and talent, united to the concert, to play together with the hope to create a magical sound and reach harmony. That's the true communism.

A comedy about the obsession of a former conductor by a piece, in this case the Violin Concert in D Major by Pyotr Tchaikovsky - one of my favourite works of art.
First, the acting is very solid from everyone involved but I especially liked Mélanie Laurent, a kind of platonic lover of mine.
Filled with priceless humour moments and some drama, the movie never forgets its goal - to get to the final and main scene! And what a scene... If music has any power at all, it's the power of bringing people together, regardless their education, belifs or race.

And that's what Le Concert is ultimately about!

Trainspotting
Danny Boyle
UK

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a ****ing big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose a three-piece suit on hire purchase in a range of ****ing fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the **** you are on Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing ****ing junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pissing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, ****ed up brats you spawned to replace yourselves. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that?

If you want to make a movie that disencourages the use of drugs, it has to be dirty, it has to have unpleasant moments and it has to create repulse in the viewer. However, it needs to be much more than that if it wants to be more than just a propaganda film - it has to be stylish, cool and intelligent, without ever patronizing. Trainspotting achieves all that and much more!
The impecable script is filled with hilarious and gritty dialogues, brought to life by an excellent crew of actors, and set in an amazing atmosphere created by Danny Boyle.
The amount of memorable scenes, from the infamous toilet dive to the final lines, make of this one of the Independent films that defined the 90s.

Thumbs up for The Big Combo, The Pawnbroker, and Trainspotting.

Never heart of The Concert, but aren't you into that kind of music anyway?

Thumbs up for The Big Combo, The Pawnbroker, and Trainspotting.

Never heart of The Concert, but aren't you into that kind of music anyway?
Yes, I am. That's why The Concert is here! Though I think everyone can enjoy the last scene as much as I did!

8 Mile

Curtis Hanson
USA

This guy keeps screamin'! He's paranoid. Quick! Someone get his ass another steroid!

First, why is this movie here?
Well, rap music was a big part of my life between my 14 and 17 years old, and I can say without inflation that it is responsible for a part of my personality and beliefs nowadays.
Though I listened mostly to Portuguese hip-hop, it was impossible to remain indifferent to the outstanding technique and fierceful imagination of Eminem.

8 Mile differs from the typical hip-hop movie because it's not about the glorification of a star or a lifestyle. It's a dark and almost depressive movie that, without being a biography on Marshall Mathers, uses a lot of elements of his own life.
The soundtrack is, of course, amazing for who likes Eminem, containing some of his best work and even the acting is surprisingly good.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Does any Eminem song have 'nig(g)a' in it? I guess he would've been dead if he used this word in his lyrics being white.

Master of My Domain
Trainspotting is a great film not because it's about the dark side of drugs, but because it's about the people in it.

Se7en

David Fincher
USA

If we catch John Doe and he turns out to be the devil, I mean if he's Satan himself, that might live up to our expectations, but he's not the devil. He's just a man.

In my opinion, David Fincher's masterpiece (though it's not the last movie of his appearing on this ranking).
The soundtrack, the camera angles, the cinematography, the lightning, the ever raining decaying set... Everything works to create a thrilling atmosphere that alone makes of this film a suspense masterpiece.
Add to that a great script, amazing acting by Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman and especially Kevin Spacey and a poetic and a cruel final twist and you have the reason why Fincher is one of the best directors in business.

The Lion King

Roger Allers, Rob Minkoff
USA

THEY CALL ME MR. PIG!!!

The movie of my childhood. I lost count of how many times I saw this, I knew all the lines by heart and I think I know most of them nowadays!
It has everything: a great villain, a great hero with great friends (Timon and Pumbaa are two of the funniest characters Disney ever created), a great soundtrack (thank you Sir Elton John), and a superb atmosphere! Oh, and let's not forget Rafiki!
Even today, everytime I listen to that introduction I just have to sit down and watch the rest of the movie!

Oh, and of course, there's no version like the Portuguese version, sorry!

Be a freak, like me too
The first film I've seen in a movie theater!