Neiba's All-Time Top 100 (2015 Edition)

→ in
Tools    

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible

Moonrise Kingdom

Wes Anderson
USA

I respect Wes Anderson and I find his vision truly unique. However, this is the only film he made that actually makes me feel something.
It's hard to portray a childhood love in such an innocent and at the same time funny way and Anderson accomplishes it wonderfully.
It's a bit more plot focused than most of his work, which in my opinion makes it quite better, and counts with an excelent cast - the two main kids in particular are great!
For the magic it creates, the scene at the beach with the two kids will always be one of my favourite scenes ever.

Master of My Domain
I watched Moonrise Kingdom and reviewed it a few months ago and thought it was a great film.

Your favorite scene is the beach scene? You perv.

I watched Moonrise Kingdom and reviewed it a few months ago and thought it was a great film.

Your favorite scene is the beach scene? You perv.
damn... busted...

Magnolia

Paul Thomas Anderson
USA

Respect the cock! And tame the cun*! Tame it! Take it on headfirst with the skills that I will teach you at work and say no! You will not control me! No! You will not take my soul! No! You will not win this game! Because it's a game, guys. You want to think it's not, huh? You want to think it's not? Go back to the schoolyard and you have that crush on big-titted Mary Jane. Respect the cock. You are embedding this thought. I am the one who's in charge. I am the one who says yes! No! Now! Here! Because it's universal, man. It is evolutional. It is anthropological. It is biological. It is animal. We... are... men!

It's hard to say anything about this epic movie except it's a masterpiece with perfect editing, perfect w perfect soundtrack, perfect direction and specially perfect performances by every single actor involved!
The way the stories go closer to each other, adding more layers and creating more and more tension till everything explodes in an apotheotic finale is genius material.

Magnolia is one of the most precious gems of the 90's Independent Cinema Revolution and one of Paul Thomas Anderson best movies, which is to say a lot.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Magnolia is a masterpiece.
Moonrise Kingdom is pretty decent. Grand Budapest Hotel is much better, however.

Magnolia is a masterpiece.
Moonrise Kingdom is pretty decent. Grand Budapest Hotel is much better, however.
I liked Grand Budapest Hotel but I didn't relate to it at any level... It's a brilliant movie nevertheless, I just can't like it more than MK.

Master of My Domain
So far I have seen zero of the movies on your list.
Go and watch some good films miss resident bitch.

Lolita
Stanley Kubrick
UK/USA

No, I'm... Spartacus. You come to free the slaves or sump'n?

The first movie Kubrick directed in UK and the first of 8 masterpieces in a row (he made 9, in my opinion, counting Paths of Glory). Very few directors have the same accuracy!
First, I loved the script! Even being criticized for being too much different from the book, the screenwriter was Nabokov himself so everything is written in a very literary way!
Of course this only works due to some incredible acting! James Mason and Shelley Winters are impressive as Humbert Humbert and Charlotte Haze, Sue Lyon does a not-so-innocent but very temptating Lolita which works perfectly to what Kubrick intended to do and of course, Peter Sellers - a true force of nature! I actually prefer this performance by Sellers to the one he made 2 years later in Dr. Strangelove - he's amazing on both though!

It was the last film I saw of Kubrick's filmography, and the first one appearing here - there will be more, trust me!

Happy End

Oldrich Lipský
Czech Republic

A one of its kind.
This Czech New Wave film is completely shot in rewind (yes, rewind!) from the moment of the protagonist birth (death) till the moment he dies (borns). Even the dialogues are spoken backwards, while the voice-over puts everything together. Add to this an excellent sense of humour and the amount of priceless scenes is overwhelming.
Trust me, you won't be able to think straight 1 hour after this is over! I was writing on my computer just after I finished it and my brain was processing everything backwards!
A movie that gives the expression "out of the box" a whole new meaning!

Magnolia and Moonrise Kingdom, now your speaking my language. Lolita is my favorite Kubrick so far, not good enough for my 100, but very good.

The Big Combo
Joseph H. Lewis
USA

Diamond, the only trouble with you is, you'd like to be me. You'd like to have my organization, my influence, my fix. You can't, it's impossible. You think it's money. It's not. It's personality. You haven't got it. You're a cop. Slow. Steady. Intelligent. With a bad temper and a gun under your arm. With a big yen for a girl you can't have. First is first and second is nobody.

One of the finest noirs I have ever seen.
An incredible cinematography (that lightning...) and soundtrack create the perfect atmosphere that a great set of actors use masterfully. Richard Conte in particular is one of the nastiest villains I've seen in movies of this genre.
It has that cold feeling I love in a noir and dozens of memorable lines!
One that should be a lot more talked than it is!