Tools    

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Complete Top (also updated on the first post):

1. Pulp Fiction (1994)
  2. Judgement at Nuremberg (1961)
  3. A Clockwork Orange (1971)
  4. 2001: A Space Odissey (1968)
  5. Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
  6. All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
  7. Barry Lyndon (1975)
  8. Pierrot le Fou (1965)
  9. Reservoir Dogs (1992)
  10. American Beauty (1999)
  11. Jagten (2012)
  12. Sunset Blvd (1950)
  13. Inglourious Basterds (2009)
  14. The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
  15. 12 Angry Men (1957)
  16. Eyes Wide Shut (1999)
  17. Kill Bill: vol. 2 (2004)
  18. Requiem for a Dream (2000)
  19. Dr. Strangelove (1964)
  20. Kill Bill: vol. 1 (2003)
  21. Her (2013)
  22. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964)
  23. Raise the Red Lantern (1991)
  24. Singin' in the Rain (1952)
  25. Casablanca (1942)
  26. The Graduate (1967)
  27. Le trou (1960)
  28. For a Few Dollars More (1965)
  29. The Lives of Others (2006)
  30. Les choristes (2004)
  31. Die Hard: with a Vengeance (1995)
  32. Once Upon a Time in America (1984)
  33. The Green Mile (1999)
  34. Witness for the Prosecution (1957)
  35. The Truman Show (1998)
  36. Full Metal Jacket (1987)
  37. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
  38. Modern Times (1936)
  39. Apocalypse Now (1979)
  40. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
  41. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (1966)
  42. Tsumiki no ie (2008)
  43. The Godfather: Part II (1974)
  44. Vertigo (1958)
  45. Raging Bull (1980)
  46. Souvenirs d'un futur Radieux (2014)
  47. Snatch (2000)
  48. Harakiri (1962)
  49. Elite Squad (2007)
  50. Alien (1979)
  51. Spirited Away (2001)
  52. American History X (1998)
  53. City of God (2002)
  54. Fail-Safe (1964)
  55. The Godfather (1972)
  56. Inherit the Wind (1960)
  57. Léon (1994)
  58. Whiplash (2014)
  59. The Man from Earth (2007)
  60. Dial M for Murder (1954)
  61. Boyhood (2014)
  62. The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (2013)
  63. Black Swan (2010)
  64. Panic Room (2002)
  65. The Lady from Shanghai (1947)
  66. Letter from an Unknown Woman (1948)
  67. Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
  68. Rosemary's Baby (1968)
  69. The Breakfast Club (1985)
  70. V for Vendetta (2005)
  71. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)
  72. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998)
  73. Paths of Glory (1957)
  74. Die Welle (2008)
  75. Rope (1948)
  76. Talk to Her (2002)
  77. Elite Squad 2 (2010)
  78. Downfall (2004)
  79. The Usual Suspects (1995)
  80. Bad Education (2004)
  81. Stalker (1979)
  82. Night & Fog (1955)
  83. The Lion King (1994)
  84. Se7en (1995)
  85. 8 Mile (2002)
  86. Trainspotting (1996)
  87. The Concert (2009)
  88. The Pawnbroker (1964)
  89. The Big Combo (1955)
  90. Happy End (1967)
  91. Lolita (1962)
  92. Magnolia (1999)
  93. Moonrise Kingdom (2012)
  94. Django (1966)
  95. Big Bad Wolves (2013)
  96. It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963)
  97. (500) Days of Summer (2009)
  98. Vinni-Pukh (1969, 1971, 1972)
  99. Dracula (1992)
  100. The Ballad of the Daltons (1978)

2001: A Space Odissey

Stanley Kubrick
UK/USA

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

What can be said about this that wasn't already said million times? The most perfect and defining work of Science Fiction of all time.
The concept behind is, by itself, fascinating, but it's how Kubrick translates it on the screen that really is astonishing.
The sound is so perfectly done, being the glorious soundtrack or just diegetic sounds (respiration, absence of sound in space, etc.) and the dialogues are filled with depth and humanity.
The pace is slow but how else could we sit back and just enjoy the pure Beauty of each shot and the perfection of each detail, since the glorious opening scene until the mind blowing last on?
Finally, HAL-9000 is one of the most cold, evil and creepy villains of the history of cinema and each time he appears on the screen it gives me chills!
Stanley Kubrick lived a century ahead of his time, and the proof is that he made a Sci-Fi that still reduces every single Sci-Fi done before or after to almost nothing.

It's funny how this film in particular it seems divides audience. We have us and them here. Us, who think it's (me, at least) thought-provoquing, and, really, what's this film actually about? If there's one single thing humanity has ever created that's "What did the poet mean to say?", I guess it's this, maybe? I already wrote my thoughts on it:

http://www.movieforums.com/community...99#post1380799

so, what i like most about it is the story.

But, then again, we can't say Kubrick's a bad director

That is, hands down, the best and single most outstanding scene I've ever seen in all of cinema history.

Congrats on getting through this huge and extremely impressive Top 100, neiba. A list full of great movies and surprisingly great and well-worked write-ups! As I said earlier, this is one of my favorite lists on the forum in terms of quality and how it seems to fit my taste as well.

I better start watching some of those I haven't seen yet, since they might be a guaranteed hit for me. Again, WELL DONE NEIBA, freaking great stuff!

Dial M for Murder
Alfred Hitchcock
USA

No, I'm afraid my murders would be something like my bridge: I'd make some stupid mistake and never realize it until I found everybody was looking at me.

One of the best crime thrillers I've ever seen!
The whole first half is magnificent, it builds an incredibly tension that is sustained during the second part of the movie.
The acting and sountrack are superb but this movie is all about direction. Hitch makes this movie happen almost exclusively on the same room and yet it's impossible to get the eyes off the screen! It reminds me of Rope in that way but more mature now, a lot better executed.

I find the plot, you know all that Agatha Christie type of stuff maybe the best here than any Hitch movie.

Ah! It's Swan's key!

They ran several times a cycle of his films on TV here, it lasted day-in-day-out about a few months lol. So, his movies are among rare ones I've seen 50s or earlier. It was so long ago though, I've already forgotten it was all in one room. Typical Hitch. Ah, now I remember! When Grace phoned or someone, the guy answered all across town. Yes, almost exclusively, as you say.

OK, let's see...

99. Dracula (1992)

96. It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963)

91. Lolita (1962)

86. Trainspotting (1996)

84. Se7en (1995)

68. Rosemary's Baby (1968)

60. Dial M for Murder (1954)

57. Léon (1994)

55. The Godfather (1972)

Will do the other half.

Congrats on getting through this huge and extremely impressive Top 100, neiba. A list full of great movies and surprisingly great and well-worked write-ups! As I said earlier, this is one of my favorite lists on the forum in terms of quality and how it seems to fit my taste as well.

I better start watching some of those I haven't seen yet, since they might be a guaranteed hit for me. Again, WELL DONE NEIBA, freaking great stuff!
Thanks again MM! When you get to watch some of this stuff, please tell me what did you think of it!

so, what i like most about it is the story.

But, then again, we can't say Kubrick's a bad director
The story is without a doubt fantastic, but I can't imagine anyone being able to film it in the 60s the way Kubrick did!

The story is without a doubt fantastic, but I can't imagine anyone being able to film it in the 60s the way Kubrick did!
Yes, I agree. No doubt he's, imho, probably the most unique and in a way the most powerful director of all time. (Judging upon my limited knowledge) And of course he's a favorite. It would be ridiculous if he weren't, 2001 being my absolute all time favorite (you know, all that beyond the infinite from absolutely all other movies) But still, I prefer some others. I also find that in this case, like in so many other cases, director/actor gets the, again in this case beyond the infinitly well-deserved praise, while the writer, the actual author of the story, and thereby of all of it, doesn't. He often is forgotten or looked over. In this case, Arthur C. Clarke, one of my absolutely favorite writers, the only ones who could challenge him are Lewis Carroll, Charles Dickens, Aldous Huxley, Gustave Flaubert, Jules Verne, George Bernard Shaw and maybe Anton Pavlovič Čehov. He's also beyond a shadow of a doubt my favorite sci-fi writer. I like what's written on his thombstone and is well in line with The Sentinel, as we know the short novel which 2001 is based upon: Here lies a man who never grew up, and never stopped growing up. Well, not completely forgotten and overlooked maybe of course, in this case as we know Kubrick did contribute to the final story.

I'm in agreement with the three of us (risquing schizophrenia): we have frightingly simmilar tastes, MM, you and I.

I'm joining him in congratulations, good job, jolly good, as they would say in The Bridge on the River Kwai.

Once Upon a Time in America

Sergio Leone
USA/Italy

Noodles... I slipped...

Of every gangster movie I've ever seen, none fascinates me as Once Upon a Time in America!
I can't even describe how much I love this! The acting, the soundtrack, the cinematography, the camera work and the script work together to create a marvellous atmosphere like nothing I've ever seen in other movies...
It's a film of epic proportions, brilliant in every aspect and with a terrific pacing that makes its almost 4 hours feel like nothing! It's an humbling experience to be able to witness Leone's ability to tell a story with so many talented people working around him. This was his last movie and I just wish he could have done more!

Out of crime movies, I'd rank it only behind Goodfellas. I like best the begining, up until he watches through the hole. And Leone plays Yesterday and all. And I agree with you Neiba, the score is amazing. It's my favorite Morricone score.

Yes, I agree. No doubt he's, imho, probably the most unique and in a way the most powerful director of all time. (Judging upon my limited knowledge) And of course he's a favorite. It would be ridiculous if he weren't, 2001 being my absolute all time favorite (you know, all that beyond the infinite from absolutely all other movies) But still, I prefer some others. I also find that in this case, like in so many other cases, director/actor gets the, again in this case beyond the infinitly well-deserved praise, while the writer, the actual author of the story, and thereby of all of it, doesn't. He often is forgotten or looked over. In this case, Arthur C. Clarke, one of my absolutely favorite writers, the only ones who could challenge him are Lewis Carroll, Charles Dickens, Aldous Huxley, Gustave Flaubert, Jules Verne, George Bernard Shaw and maybe Anton Pavlovič Čehov. He's also beyond a shadow of a doubt my favorite sci-fi writer. I like what's written on his thombstone and is well in line with The Sentinel, as we know the short novel which 2001 is based upon: Here lies a man who never grew up, and never stopped growing up. Well, not completely forgotten and overlooked maybe of course, in this case as we know Kubrick did contribute to the final story.

I'm in agreement with the three of us (risquing schizophrenia): we have frightingly simmilar tastes, MM, you and I.

I'm joining him in congratulations, good job, jolly good, as they would say in The Bridge on the River Kwai.
I have to read more of C. Clarke but you listed some pretty amazing writes there! I've read a lot of Verne, some Huxley and Chekhov and they are all favourites of mine, so I'm curious to read Clarke now!

Thanks Beatle!

p.s. I just noticed even the train syrene cries the notes of the score. Now that's directing for ya. It even reminds me of Hitchcock.

1. Pulp Fiction (1994)

3. A Clockwork Orange (1971)

4. 2001: A Space Odissey (1968) no comment
8. Pierrot le Fou (1965)

9. Reservoir Dogs (1992)

10. American Beauty (1999)

14. The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

17. Kill Bill: vol. 2 (2004)

19. Dr. Strangelove (1964)

20. Kill Bill: vol. 1 (2003)

26. The Graduate (1967)

28. For a Few Dollars More (1965)

31. Die Hard: with a Vengeance (1995)

32. Once Upon a Time in America (1984)

33. The Green Mile (1999)

34. Witness for the Prosecution (1957)

36. Full Metal Jacket (1987)

39. Apocalypse Now (1979)

41. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (1966)

43. The Godfather: Part II (1974)

44. Vertigo (1958)

45. Raging Bull (1980)

50. Alien (1979)

Hardly anything below 5/5.

I have to read more of C. Clarke but you listed some pretty amazing writes there! I've read a lot of Verne, some Huxley and Chekhov and they are all favourites of mine, so I'm curious to read Clarke now!

Thanks Beatle!
Thanks!

So I'd recommend...

The entire space odyssey quadrology:

The Sentinel or 2001
2010: The Year We Made Contact
2061: The Third Odyssey
3001: The Final Odyssey
Randez-vous With Rama
The Songs of Distant Earth

I remember as a kid I used to read 40 000 Leagues Under the Seas each and every single summer. It's my fave of Verne's. Have you read The Brave New World? Monkey and the Esence? That one's so insane. Also, I'd add Boris Pasternak's Doctor Zhivago.

Congrats on finishing your list, Neiba! Your taste is exquisite. A great mixture of films -- modern, classic, foreign, art-house, mainstream; plus appearances from many different genres. The best lists are varied and personal, and this list certainly fits that description. I also love how you took the time to briefly explain why these films resonate with you so strongly.

Since the last time I commented, you churned out one amazing film after another, many of which are deservedly considered among the greatest films of all-time. I think there's only about five films I haven't seen in your top 30. Several of my own favorites have appeared -- For a Few Dollars More, Sunset Blvd., Requiem for a Dream, Kill Bill, among others. We also share three top-ten favorites: Pulp Fiction, Once Upon a Time in the West and 2001: A Space Odyssey. Even stuff like Barry Lyndon and Singin' in the Rain, while not anywhere close to being personal favorites, are still films for which I have a tremendous amount of respect. Pierrot le Fou is the only film to show up in the top 30 that I dislike, but Godard tends to be more hit or miss for me than any other director. I really need to get around to watching All Quiet on the Western Front and Judgement at Nuremberg. I've seen you sing their praises several times on the forum, and I trust your taste enough to know that means both films must be pretty damn amazing.

Thanks!

So I'd recommend...

The entire space odyssey quadrology:

The Sentinel or 2001
2010: The Year We Made Contact
2061: The Third Odyssey
3001: The Final Odyssey
Randez-vous With Rama
The Songs of Distant Earth

I remember as a kid I used to read 40 000 Leagues Under the Seas each and every single summer. It's my fave of Verne's. Have you read The Brave New World? Monkey and the Esence? That one's so insane. Also, I'd add Boris Pasternak's Doctor Zhivago.
Thanks!!!

Yes, Brave New World is one of my favourites. I also liked Doctor Zhivago but never read Monkey and the Essence!
And 20 000 Leagues Under the Sea is a great book, though I prefer From the Earth to the Moon and Around the Moon.

Congrats on finishing your list, Neiba! Your taste is exquisite. A great mixture of films -- modern, classic, foreign, art-house, mainstream; plus appearances from many different genres. The best lists are varied and personal, and this list certainly fits that description. I also love how you took the time to briefly explain why these films resonate with you so strongly.

Since the last time I commented, you churned out one amazing film after another, many of which are deservedly considered among the greatest films of all-time. I think there's only about five films I haven't seen in your top 30. Several of my own favorites have appeared -- For a Few Dollars More, Sunset Blvd., Requiem for a Dream, Kill Bill, among others. We also share three top-ten favorites: Pulp Fiction, Once Upon a Time in the West and 2001: A Space Odyssey. Even stuff like Barry Lyndon and Singin' in the Rain, while not anywhere close to being personal favorites, are still films for which I have a tremendous amount of respect. Pierrot le Fou is the only film to show up in the top 30 that I dislike, but Godard tends to be more hit or miss for me than any other director. I really need to get around to watching All Quiet on the Western Front and Judgement at Nuremberg. I've seen you sing their praises several times on the forum, and I trust your taste enough to know that means both films must be pretty damn amazing.
Thanks a lot Captain, for the feedback and rep! I'm glad you liked the list, and please let me know what you think of Judgement at Nuremberg and All Quiet on the Western Front once you watch them!

Léon a.k.a. Léon: The Professional
Luc Besson
France

You don't like Beethoven. You don't know what you're missing. Overtures like that get my... juices flowing. So powerful. But after his openings, to be honest, he does tend to get a little ****ing boring.

This movie has some bad reputation due to the alleged twisted relationship between Reno's and Portman's characters. While I can see why some people say that, I never found it twisted or sick at any point. In fact, I found the relationship between the two main leads incredibly touching.
Apart from that, the action scenes are amazing, it's a freaking intense movie from the beggining till the very end and counts with 3 magnificent perfomances: a 12-year-old Natalie Portman, Jean Reno and a force of nature called Gary Oldman!
One of the best independent movies from the 90s!

I saw this too, you guessed it, when it came out in a cimema. Yeah I loved it. Actually Natalie/Reno scenes are my favorite. Like when she impersonates Madonna, Chaplin, John Wayne and Leon is clueless...And then he finally gets Gene Kelly because he saw...can't remember...in a cinema?

And what more is there to be said of Gary Oldman? Insane. Both the acting skills, I really would put him in my top 10, and the unspeakable ignoring Hollywood gives him. But then I don't think he even cares or even prefers it that way, as do I. F+ em! What do they know, and why should anyone care what they think about them? Oscars...UNBELIEVABLE! A travesty! I must admit I never liked hollywood, and i know there's lot of sick stuff there. Many are on drugs, robert downey Jr. was even on the news. I also heard Arnie say many are on drugs??? Should he speak, a walking steroid?