Rate the Last Short You Saw

Tools    

Vive le Tour (1962) - Louis Malle
Interesting 18 minute documentary for anyone into cycling - which I kind of am. Focuses on some behind the scenes stuff - including professional athletes jumping off their bikes to raid the beer fridge at a cafe they are passing. I think things might have changed a bit since then
+

Two shorts I watched recently:

Makoto Shinkai's trademark poignant drama style was first articulated in the form of a short film.

"Pseudo intellectual" short. It's kinda entertaining but not really that interesting.

Sorry for my bad English :p
Spider (2007)

Bear (2011)

both movies are directed by Nash Edgerton, first i watched spider and i loved it so i watched more edgerton's short movies ( bear , lucky )
i like his style, the three movies have a similar touch.

nash edgerton is a well known stuntman, and we can see that in his shorts
he worked in many known movies like the matrix, great gatsby, the equalizer...

"Pseudo intellectual" short. It's kinda entertaining but not really that interesting.
Love Balance

Nice thread. I think I should take this thread on an opportunity to educate myself into animated shorts considering I am relatively ignorant in that field.

Starcraft opening animation (1998)

From a PC computer game, I loved this when I first played this game when I was 10. It's entertaining to watch rednecks in space and at the time this was made in 1998 the animation quality was excellent. It's not serious art though but work in what it tries to do: be an opening for a computer game heavily characterized by narrative such as Starcraft.

I also watched 6 short films for the short film HoF I wrote short comments of each in there.

Posthuman (2012)

Anglophone science fiction adult animation short featuring actually good art with a lot of detail. Obvious Japanese influences all over the place (reminding specially of Akira): Exploding human bodies with lots of blood at some points.

Comedy (2000)

Great animated short movie. Very high animation quality though I couldn't fully understand the Spanish subtitles as my Spanish still is very crude. The story also shows the obsession of the Japanese with the British islands.

Noiseman (1997)

Great animated short film. Very experimental/post-modern in style, it's from the same director of Magnetic Rose and shows the exceptional qualities of well produced Japanese animation. It is characteristic of Morimoto's surrealistic style, more so than Magnetic Rose.

Continuing my education of animated shorts. As it appears, most artistically creative animation consists of shorts since there are so many shorts: in the Japanese medias arts festival the number of shorts nominated exceeds to a great number the number of movies and series: around 350 shorts to 75 series and movies, which explains why usually shorts win the grand prize in animation.

"Genius Party" Atsuko Fukushima

This short makes 2001 look like a movie for beginners in terms of combining certain substances while watching film. Incredible animation, as usual, short films have incredible animation and feature much more experimentation in direction and art than animated films or series.

"Deathtic 4" Shinji Kimura

One of the weaker shorts I watched today, fully 3D CGI animated it tries to convey a horror cartoony atmosphere but fails to move me in any way. It reminded me of Nightmare Before Christmas.

"Doorbell" Yoji Fukuyama

The most boring short I watched today. About a guy challenge to face himself as if there were many copies of him interacting with him simultaneously and one of these versions becomes the real him (the one other people see) and interacts with the world. A metaphor for the fact that we have multiple distinct impulses that drive as to act in distinct ways.

"Happy Machine" Masaaki Yuasa

From the great Masaki Yuasa comes this masterpiece of short film. Like Kaiba, it evokes an uncanny atmosphere and like Kaiba it contains enormous emotional power underneath it's symbolism.

"Baby Blue" Shinichiro Watanabe

From the same director of the famous series Cowboy Bebop (specially popular among American anime fans but not actually so good), comes this short. It was pretty cool at the beginning but got boring and my attention began to waver by the end. Still like the rest of Watanabe's filmmography, it is pretty good but not quite great.

The Terminator
Ahalya (Indian Thriller)
-

It is related to epic history of India But in the modern times.

It was Fantastic

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right

Great. Now I have to take a leak.

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Interior Design

An Western movie made in a Japanese setting. It feels kinda weird in a sense since it was all western sensibilities but implemented with Japanese language. Like those western manga that crudely copy down the most typical Japanese manga art style. Anyway, it was kinda of interesting but since I am not into live action movies these days I couldn't get into it.

Continuing my education in animated shorts:

Limit Cycle - Hideki Futamura

Very superficially cool short without plot or characterization. Just an exercise of philosophical pretension without great interest on my part. But the art was pretty cool.

Shanghai Dragon - Shoji Kawamori

A great short from the highly influential mecha designer Shoji Kawamori. It's proper animu: giant robots, lots of explosions, transformation sequences, little cute kids all compressed into less than 20 minutes.

Gala - Mahiro Maeda

Has some crappy transformation sequences but the rest is pretty cool exploration of the possibilities of animation. The story is pretty dull in the end since the trope was already beaten to exhaustion.