Oscars 2015 - nominations LIVE!

Tools    

I wasn't convinced by American Sniper or The Imitation Game, but it's not like they'll win anyway. Has Boyhood written all over it

I haven't seen The Imitation Game or The Theory of Everything but they're both pissing me off already.
This.

I'm just happy that PTA got a nomination, even though he'll never win.

I haven't seen The Imitation Game or The Theory of Everything but they're both pissing me off already.
The Imitation Game doesn't feel as self-important or Oscar bait as the trailers would have you believe, I was actually surprised at how humble and laid back it was. But yeah, nothing we haven't seen before

So with the Oscar nominees now released back into theaters (at least some of them) I have 6 more movies I want to see before the awards season. And with this move to Dallas, I also want to see as many as I can before the move. Time to pull at least one day at the cinema for me. Saturday will be best.

The films are:

American Sniper (seeing tonight in IMAX)
Wild
Foxcatcher
Selma
Birdman
Whiplash

Lord High Filmquisitor
For me, the absolute biggest shock was that The Lego Movie missed out on the category that it was the obvious favorite to win.

A reasonably close runner up is how little love was given to Interstellar. It seemed like Best Picture material to me for sure.

All told, though, my Best Picture predictions were pretty accurate: four of my top five and two of my next five predictions got in. The only two that I missed were Grand Budapest Hotel (Anderson generally doesn't have such wide support) and The Theory of Everything (I figured that it was tapping an already dry well of support for actor-driven 20th Century historical biopics of an extraordinarily famous person).

Got all the raw data entered into the database, so I'm just about ready to launch the picks pool. Just need to clean up some layout things.

Also: Jake Junglegym didn't get nominated for Nightcrawler? Pshaw.

Please let Lego Movie get Best Original Song. Also, no Animated Film nomination for it? What gives?

Got all the raw data entered into the database, so I'm just about ready to launch the picks pool. Just need to clean up some layout things.
Cool! I'm voting for who I think will win this time around, as opposed to last time when I voted for my favorites. Hopefully I'll do better this year

Give The Imitation Game a chance. Nothing groundbreaking but it's a worthy story told well and ol' Rinkydink Crimpysnitch is damn good in it. No idea what Knightley's doing on the nominee's list though.

Haven't seen nearly enough this year. Still want to catch Birdman, Foxcatcher and of course Inherent Vice at some point before the ceremony but I'm not too bothered about the rest. I'll be rooting for Whiplash and Gone Girl unless any of those are any better.

Are you kidding me? Blended didn't receive a single nomination? Academy, you've lost all credibility in my eyes.