Nicolas Cage Is Campaigning Against His Own Film

Tools    

For the record, I like Nic Cage. But due to crappy spending habits and tax issues the dude is broke as hell and appears in a lot of crap films.

That being said I really like Drive Angry, Bringing Out the Dead, 8MM, Con Air, and The Rock. Just to name a few.

Completely agree with Captain Spaulding. I just don't care for a lot of the types of movies Cage does. Adaptation, though, is one of my favorite movies. For a long, long time I considered it my #1 favorite. You can see this on old Top 100's of mine (my 2011 Top 100, for example). I just don't know if I'd still consider it #1. I don't think I do. In fact, I think I didn't even mention it in my last list. It'll have to go on the next one.

Matchstick Men was really good, but I haven't seen that in forever.

You haven't seen Cage, though, until you've seen Vampire's Kiss.

When I first saw the name of the film, I was expecting a Dylon Thomas biopic with Nic Cage Playing Thomas.

Anyway, as for Cage's acting the past, there are only three films in which he has performed well in - Leaving Las Vegas, Wild at Heart and Raising Arizona. The rest of the his films have been, for the most part, crap action films. The guns and explosions can distract you from Cage's terrible acting for only so long. He has made two very good action films Con Air and The Rock, his acting is both was turd, but the rest of the cast and plenty of non-stop action plays it down.
Cage kind of reminds me of Jim Carrey, a terrible over-actor with ridiculous mannerisms and reactions, but can occasionally produce a great performance.

Raising Arizona

Wild at Heart

Leaving Las Vegas

The Rock

Con Air

Face/Off

8mm

Gone in Sixty Seconds

The Family Man

National Treasure

Lord of War

The Wicker Man

Ghost Rider

Bangkok Dangerous

Knowing

Bad Lieutenant

Kick-Ass

I just don't like him at all as an actor. He might be a really sound bloke in real life, but he is one of those actors like Christian Bale, who for me, never take me out of myself enough while I'm watching them to believe they're the character.

You haven't seen Cage, though, until you've seen Vampire's Kiss.
Even though I've seen the majority of Cage's films, I had never even heard of Vampire's Kiss until I joined this forum and saw Mr. Minio posting .GIFs from it all the time. Obviously it looks likes the greatest movie ever made. I'm both nervous and excited to eventually watch it. I have a feeling the experience will be life changing.

Cage is a legend . I was never able to understand why some people love terrible movies... until i saw Cage during the last decade or so. Vampires Kiss, The Wicker Man, Bangkok Dangerous, etc, are pretty much live prostitution films. I always picture a bunch of billionaires sitting at a table discussing what they will make Cage do next .

It seems a bit lazy to dismiss Cage as a bad actor and say that he is bad in every role. As some have mentioned most of these roles come down to a combination of various personal problems and are not just easy decisions that any actor would take.

His role in Adaptation is absolutely brilliant, Wild at Heart and Raising Arizona work brilliantly in getting the best out of his comic side. His over the top cheesy performance in Con Air is great fun, and I enjoy him in stuff like The Rock and Face/Off although I haven't seen them in a while. I still haven't seen Leaving Las Vegas, which he is meant to be great in.

This film isn't about Cage anyway, it's more about Schrader who basically got removed from the project after filming so he had no input in the editing process.

Paul Schrader has been through this kind of struggle before, unfortunately. But the only surprise for me when I saw this headline is that Cage wasn't campaigning against Left Behind.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Lord High Filmquisitor
Cage is a legend . I was never able to understand why some people love terrible movies... until i saw Cage during the last decade or so. Vampires Kiss, The Wicker Man, Bangkok Dangerous, etc, are pretty much live prostitution films. I always picture a bunch of billionaires sitting at a table discussing what they will make Cage do next .
I believe that you, Sir, just won the internet for the day. Congratulations.

Why are you being so pessimistic Rodent? You want a film to fail?
He has been in a lot of crap, but he has the talent to make a good movie (as proven by his oscar nom, and oscar WIN)
Anyway, I'm really pissed this happened because it looked like it had potential with Schrader and Refn on board. Too bad we may never see their original vision.

"#GAMEOVER420BLAZIT" -bluedeed

Sean Penn said it best, "Nic Cage hasnt acted in a movie since Leaving Las Vegas". IMO Nicolas Cage is one of the most overrated movie stars out there. Somewhat entertaining at times.

Hes right to steer people clear of the flick since Schrader wasnt allowed to edit it. If Tim Burton was allowed to edit Mars Attacks it would have been incredibly better.

What business is it of Sean Penn's, to publicly criticize another actor in such a demeaning manner? Seems rather pompous of Penn.
Agreed. Especially since Adaptation. was after Leaving Las Vegas. (plus Matchstick Men, Lord of War, Kick-Ass)
Not to mention his entertaining action films (say what you want about their quality)

Agreed. Especially since Adaptation. was after Leaving Las Vegas. (plus Matchstick Men, Lord of War, Kick-Ass)
Not to mention his entertaining action films (say what you want about their quality)
National Treasure's awesome.

He has been in a lot of crap, but he has the talent to make a good movie (as proven by his oscar nom, and oscar WIN)

Please, stop it, you're killing me. No wonder people can claim the Batman films are great if this is considered great acting.