Why "Eyes Wide Shut" is Kubricks most underrated/More of this?

→ in
Tools    

Hi guys!

Stanley Kubrick "Eyes Wide Shut" is a strange one. After my first watch I felt very intrigued by the setup, the symbolism and the somewhat plain banality of Tom Cruises character, but I felt that I quite didn't get the whole picture. So first, I'd like to recommend to watch the movie with a very open mind, because for what I think, this is the last expensive Hollywood movie exploring themes of eroticism and sexuality to be made for a long time (already), and after that, I'd like to recommend the Youtube Channel/moviecritic "The Filmanalysis" and ask you, if you know any more like him?

Because reviews or explainer videos often only address the meaning of the narrative or the narrative structure itself, I was looking for content that addressed the question: What is the film actually telling? So I came across this said channel of a German film critic who also produces in English. He looks at films in an ideology-critical way, and I really liked his videos for "Eyes Wide Shut" and "The Birds". I miss this perspective on film in many reviews, especially because it allows the film to be explained from a completely different perspective. And yes, the critic is preaching to the choir here anyway, because, as I said in the title, I think "Eyes Wide Shut" is very underrated.

My thoughts about this film: I am impressed about Kubricks ability to maintain a constant feel of threat during the whole runtime, even though there isn't that much happening. It feels in parts like a crime-mystery, but really, for a great part it's just Tom Cruise being shocked about his wife's sexuality. Kubrick, as always, clothes his symbolism and storytelling in wonderful, sometimes surreal feeling pictures. I also have to mention the music! Especially the somewhat weird chanting from this one scene always feels intriguing and dreadful at the same time. I'd always recommend this movie, even though I think it's one of Kubricks not-so-easy-watches.

Anyway, I'm curious to hear about your thoughts and would really like to recommend said channel.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The dark haunting music is probably what's giving you that feeling of a constant threat around the corner, but there aren't any positive moments/scenes. Sex, drugs, murder.

But I think it's half as good as a movie like "A Clockwork Orange" which I've seen a handful of times, but not in 5-10 years.

Victim of The Night
I think Eyes Wide Shut is maybe a "perfect film". To me, anyway.
It has steadily moved up in my mind in some sort of informal watch-order of Kubrick to be pretty high, where on any given night I might choose it over The Shining, though it would still be after A Clockwork Orange, 2001, and Strangelove.

I think Eyes Wide Shut is maybe a "perfect film". To me, anyway.
It has steadily moved up in my mind in some sort of informal watch-order of Kubrick to be pretty high, where on any given night I might choose it over The Shining, though it would still be after A Clockwork Orange, 2001, and Strangelove.
Eyes Wide Shut is one of my most fave movies. Seen it several times.

Thanks for your comments everyone! Seems like quite a few people tend to like Eyes Wide Shut a little bit more with every rewatch, at least that's what I've heard from friends and now here again. I also think that, like most/all Kubricks movies, EWS is quite unique in the form of story and way this story is told. I cannot think of another expensive Hollywood flick like this.

Quite a coincidence: I just watched this for the first time a few days ago, despite being a big Kubrick fan. I get why it's not as well-liked. It's slow and bizarre. The whole movie builds up a threat that never fully materializes. I thought it was great but I wouldn't recommend it for most people as it does require being quite patient and open-minded.

I'd say the most underrated Kubrick film is The Killing, which is maybe the least Kubricky of all his movies, but is also a banger of a heist film with an A+ cast.

Victim of The Night
I'd say the most underrated Kubrick film is The Killing, which is maybe the least Kubricky of all his movies, but is also a banger of a heist film with an A+ cast.
I'd say that's a reasonable position to take.

I think Lolita is definitely the most underrated of Kubricks films. The Killing has a dedicated cult and it is generally considered one of the greatest late period noirs (or at least noirish) ever. Lolita is generally completely overlooked, without even having the excuse of studio/lead actor interference that Spartacus had (also tremendously underrated). Lolita, while maybe not a perfect adaptation of the book (but what could be) hits all the humorous and tragic and menacing beats pretty expertly. And Mason, Winters and especially Sellers are all magnificent.

Also the Killers Kiss, which is easily considered by most as his weakest film, is still deeply undervalued as it is still a pretty great film on its own, as long as we don't compare it to everything else he would do.

In my opinion, Stanley Kubrick's Lolita is his most underrated film. There is a strong consensus that The Killing is among the best late-period noirs (or at least noir-ish films) of all time, and the picture has a large and passionate following.