Television Tab

Tools    

It really is just the best. I'm not sure I've seen many shows that went from "I don't watch this at all" to "this is one of my favorite shows of all-time" quicker. Just a great format, brilliantly realized from the start (very little evolution or tweaking has been necessary since that first series). Can't praise it enough.
Did you see the US version? I don't think it went down very well and I heard a lot of people slagging one of the contestants off (I've just looked at the line up and I think it was Lisa Lampanelli, who I don't know) but the New Zealand version is very popular for those who are really big fans of the show (I've not searched that out either). Have you seen either of those? Which series are you up to with the UK version? As that's the one I was talking about I'm assuming that was the one you meant?

Did you see the US version? I don't think it went down very well and I heard a lot of people slagging one of the contestants off (I've just looked at the line up and I think it was Lisa Lampanelli, who I don't know) but the New Zealand version is very popular for those who are really big fans of the show (I've not searched that out either). Have you seen either of those? Which series are you up to with the UK version? As that's the one I was talking about I'm assuming that was the one you meant?
I haven't seen any others than the UK version (except for a couple of scattered YouTube clips from some other European country that escapes me at the moment). We finished series 10 recently and was pleased with how enjoyable it was despite the obvious COVID restrictions.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check out the New Zealand one next. I think the necessarily subtitled versions might disrupt things a bit too much, but at some point we'll exhaust those and be desperate for more even if it ends up feeling a little busy.

I'm definitely curious to see how important the Greg/Alex dynamic ends up being to the formula. I think the idea is sound enough that it'll be pretty enjoyable even without it, but it's possible it's adding a lot more than is evident.

House Of Cards - The brilliant original (I've not seen the reboot) is still brilliant and feels as prescient as ever. The more things change, the more the stay the same seems to be as true as ever.

Taskmaster - A wonderful series which has fully found its feet again after the difficult Covid series. This series was helped enormously by having a few people who I really love and the next series line up looks really promising too.

True Blood - I didn't watch this when it was first broadcast, so this is new to me. At the end of season 2 now and enjoying it, though Stephen Moyer face still annoys me a little. But that's nothing to do with the show.
Original HOC is brilliant as you say. So hilarious. Peter Capaldi really good & that Scottish guy pyscho so funny (he’s in Slow Horses now).

Never heard of Taskmaster & I see @Yoda likes it too. In a sentence, what is it about?

True Blood was really an excellent very original show with one of the very best opening sequences. But it veered off into too many segments (werewolves, e.g.) & really needed to end sooner than it did. I bailed out before it ended.

Never heard of Taskmaster & I see @Yoda likes it too. In a sentence, what is it about?
The titular Taskmaster (comedian Greg Davies) sets completely arbitrary tasks for contestants and sees how effectively they do them, then they all review their attempts, usually lightly mocking them for their panic and bizarre choices. Pretty much all contestants are professional comedians or TV personalities (in the grand tradition of British "just put some funny people together with some structure to keep things moving" shows), so it's very silly and witty.

Sometimes the solutions to the tasks are ingenious, sometimes they find loopholes, sometimes they end up totally disregarding the rules. Always amusing, and the best part is there's always another task on the horizon, so you're bound to like some of it.

The titular Taskmaster (comedian Greg Davies) sets completely arbitrary tasks for contestants and sees how effectively they do them, then they all review their attempts, usually lightly mocking them for their panic and bizarre choices. Pretty much all contestants are professional comedians or TV personalities (in the grand tradition of British "just put some funny people together with some structure to keep things moving" shows), so it's very silly and witty.

Sometimes the solutions to the tasks are ingenious, sometimes they find loopholes, sometimes they end up totally disregarding the rules. Always amusing, and the best part is there's always another task on the horizon, so you're bound to like some of it.
Sounds promising. Where do you watch it? Streaming?

The first 10 series or so are free on YouTube (I think they're up to 14 total in the UK version).
Thanks!

at the moment i been rewatching CSI new york and CSI and CSI miami and CSI vegas season 1 ( already seen few episodes on season 2) until all my favorite shows new seasons come back next year

Original HOC is brilliant as you say. So hilarious. Peter Capaldi really good & that Scottish guy pyscho so funny (he’s in Slow Horses now).
Are you thinking of The Thick Of It? Peter Capaldi isn't in HoC.

True Blood was really an excellent very original show with one of the very best opening sequences. But it veered off into too many segments (werewolves, e.g.) & really needed to end sooner than it did. I bailed out before it ended.
I have wondered about that and also wondered whether I'll stick with it if it does. I guess we'll see.

The first 10 series or so are free on YouTube (I think they're up to 14 total in the UK version).
Yes, the 14th series has just finished. The 15th line up has been announced and there'll be a 3rd New Year's Taskmaster (usually on NYD). There's two Champions Of Champions specials, too, where the previous five winners compete and as the 15th series is upcoming, there should be another one of those either next year or 2024 (depending on scheduling)

Are you thinking of The Thick Of It? Peter Capaldi isn't in HoC.
Yes, that’s what I meant. Thanks. (Can hardly keep track of all the streaming tv.)

It’s back for season 2. Hooray!
Industry season 2 is excellent. Looking forward to season 3, which is definitely on.

Ugh, dreadful. Never heard of this guy & his show is so weird & creepy.
I can't imagine watching this show without any prior knowledge of Nathan Fielder. It would definitely make things difficult. I would recommend giving Nathan For You a chance, where I think the comedy is much clearer.

I can't imagine watching this show without any prior knowledge of Nathan Fielder. It would definitely make things difficult. I would recommend giving Nathan For You a chance, where I think the comedy is much clearer.
Nope, I don’t like him.

Anyone watching Chainsaw Man? I don't watch a ton of anime but this one seems like it's an instant classic.

Anyone watching Chainsaw Man? I don't watch a ton of anime but this one seems like it's an instant classic.
Nope

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Watched the first episode of The English and it seems to be as advertised. Beautiful, unorthodox, intense.

Watched the first episode of The English and it seems to be as advertised. Beautiful, unorthodox, intense.
Did not appeal to me at all (Emily Blunt doesn’t always choose the right production), but now you’ve intrigued me. It’s in my Amazon watchlist now.

After the first 3 episodes it's still impressive. The production is stellar and Chaske Spencer, besides having the coolest hair I've ever seen, is someone I'm looking forward to seeing more. The violence may not be for everyone, but it's not gratuitous. A lot happens off-screen, but it definitely conveys the harsh reality of the time.

One episode of The English left. It’s a bit uneven, but I wouldn’t say it detracts from the overall story. Given that, there are some moments. And they are killers 🤯

….

WoW. The final episode is better than any movie I’ve seen in a while. So many answers that you didn’t see coming and a touch of mystery/horror. And the soundtrack wails.