Movie Forums Top 100 of the 2010s - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

Wow, those have some strong story lines too (haven't seen Sarah's Key). But I know what you mean, I only have a vague recollection of them and yet I'd give them 4 stars too.
Here's what I wrote about Sarah's Key back in 2011.

Powerful drama from France that follows an American journalist trying to track the Jewish inhabitants of the apartment she just bought with her family in France. The film splits in two timelines, one with the journalist (played by Kristin Scott Thomas) as she gets obsessed with finding what happened to the Starzynski's, while dealing with her own family issues; meanwhile the other timeline follows what happened to the Starzynski's upon their capture during World War II in 1942. The focus is mostly on young Sarah, who wants to get back to their home because she left her little brother locked in a closet to protect him from the authorities.

Overall, the film is neatly done, well acted, and well directed. The girl that plays the young Sarah (Mélusine Mayance) was a standout for me. Most of the first hour of the film follows the 1942 timeline, and is driven by Sarah's attempt to escape from camp and reach her home to unlock her little brother (hence the title of the film). However, and this might seem like a slight once we find out what happened (which is close to the 1-hour mark) the movie loses some steam, focusing more on the 2009 timeline, with the journalist and her own family problems. But still, one becomes ensnared in her obsession to find out what happened to this girl after the war. In a way, it reminded me a bit of Fincher's Zodiac, in how we become as obsessed with an event as the lead character. As for the final payoff, well, I'm not sure it was as powerful as what we saw in the first hour.

Still, a fine film, and very well done. Grade: Probably a high B+, or maybe even a low A-
I have a vague recollection of it now that I read it, but little to no details *smacks brain*

I find a little amusing 12 Years A Slave is one of the movies you have no recollection of when it's so memorably haunting.
I have a couple of images burned in my mind, especially...

WARNING: spoilers below

Fassbender lashing... I think it's Lupita Nyongo?
Brad Pitt building a shed or something
The final scene when they come for Solomon at the cotton field.

But remember little of the course of the plot.

The truth is in here
WARNING: spoilers below
The scene of Lupita N'yongo getting lashed is so horrible. It was almost traumatic to sit through.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm trying to narrow down my list, but it's going in the wrong direction. I keep adding movies to it instead of removing them. I'm over 100 movies now, and I still have too many movies on my watchlist to see before the deadline.

This is excruciating. I am leaving some superb films off my list. Can we make it 30 films instead of 25?
Probably not since over two dozen people have already submitted their ballots.

A system of cells interlinked
Thank you to the group of MoFos that brought up The Man From Nowhere. My wife and I watched it last night. Awesome film!

BTW, we received mark f's ballot and will be including it in the countdown. If any films from his ballot show up, I'll list them as they come up.

Ok, this is gonna be fun. I went to Letterboxd and made a list of all the 2010s films I've rated 3.5 or more and I ended up with 265 Granted, browsing through the list, I know that half of those have no chance of making my list, but still...
Ok, I went through this list and highlighted the ones that I feel most strongly about; ended up with 19, which is good. I will see what else I might add to that to round up the 25, and finally submit this.

Thank you to the group of MoFos that brought up The Man From Nowhere. My wife and I watched it last night. Awesome film!
Love that movie myself.
It has a Bollywood remake, with a superior end fight scene. But overall the original South Korean movie is several levels up over its remake.

On a side note, speaking of unknown South Korean movies of the last decade, The Spy Gone North is a really good watch.

A system of cells interlinked
Also, I was thinking about it, but Denis Villeneuve will win this list hands down with the most movies.
I was just thinking this on my way back to work after lunch! Totally agree. Well, at least as far as my ballot in concerned.

Ok, I went through this list and highlighted the ones that I feel most strongly about; ended up with 19, which is good. I will see what else I might add to that to round up the 25, and finally submit this.
Ok, I got 19 that are more or less locks, and then... 61 potentials for the last 6 spots

I just sent my (surprisingly lacking in international films) list in and I am very happy to hear that Mark got to submit one last countdown list.

I hope O.J. Made in America makes the cut, Mark.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Also, I was thinking about it, but Denis Villeneuve will win this list hands down with the most movies.
3 that make it. There's gotta be someone else that will get 3 or more too, but I can't think of who.

3 that make it. There's gotta be someone else that will get 3 or more too, but I can't think of who.
Possibly Nolan, and I reckon all 3 of Tarantino's movies from the decade will make it.
Maybe Wes Anderson and Sam Mendes as well but if they do they prob getting 2 of them in the 80s and 90s somewhere.

It's a toughie this one, seems a lot of the most prolific directors only made a maximum of two movies in the 2010s... the rest of the decade's list didn't make anything that was really worth a vote.

Edit: Maybe Alex Garland.