Live Chat

Tools    

You ready? You look ready.
Hey, I think one little thing we've been missing is a chat room. For those of us who don't use IM services it would be a neat feature. I've got one setup on my server if you all would like to test it out.

For Yoda, it's a free script known as phpFreeChat. Extermely easy to setup. Doesn't need to use a database in order to work. Just an idea. You are supposed to be able to have it automatically log people in when they join from a forum but, I have no idea how that works and I'm lucky I got this much done.

The Link - http://www.movieforums.com/chat

It ain't the greatest but, I tried.

EDIT: Updated URL so people don't visit my site anymore.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
so we should pencil in appointments...which night is the loneliest night of them all? which night do you least likely have a life? majority rules...and we'll conquer the world through our chats.

Looks good except for one problem, I was the only one there. I had a good conversation for about 5 mins but then it got a wee bit redundant:

7thson: Hi
7thson: Hey
7thson: How are you
7thson: Great, you?
7thson: Man you sure are a cool guy
7thson: I know
etc...

Like I said okay at first but didnt take long before that 7thson guy got to me.

Yea, I was looking for a little chat for my own forum and stumbled across that and had to try it out. Other then those "one person" chats it's quite good. If Yoda likes it it'll be left up to him to do a little bit more with it. I've taken it as far as my scripting language can allow.

I wipe my ass with your feelings
21:30:00 * McClane disconnected (timeout)
20/04/2006 21:30:07 * Godsend is connected
20/04/2006 21:30:14 ‹Godsend› hi?
20/04/2006 21:30:34 ‹Godsend› wtf
20/04/2006 21:30:36 ‹Godsend› omfg
20/04/2006 21:30:48 ‹Godsend› my arm=broke and no one be up in hewre
20/04/2006 21:30:53 ‹Godsend› up inhere up in here
20/04/2006 21:31:04 ‹Godsend› GOSD GO MAKE ME LOSE MY MIND
20/04/2006 21:31:06 ‹Godsend› UP IN HERE
20/04/2006 21:31:08 ‹Godsend› UP IN HERE
We're soldiers. Soldiers don't go to hell. It's war. Soldiers, they kill other soldiers. We're in a situation where everybody involved knows the stakes. And if you're gonna accept those stakes... You gotta do certain things. It's business, we're soldiers. We follow codes... Orders.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Hey, we had four of us in there just now, and it was actually FUN! I won't tell you who was there -- you'll have to peek in sometime and see who's there!

FUN, though! This could get addicting.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
i totally agree we need some chat. shoutbox is just too hard to find. :P

here goes my chat ... exciting, eh?

21/04/2006 02:43:56 * allthatglitters disconnected (timeout)
21/04/2006 02:44:13 * thmilin is connected
21/04/2006 02:44:30 ‹thmilin› anyone ... ANYOOONE?
21/04/2006 02:45:30 ‹thmilin› saaave me ...
21/04/2006 02:45:33 ‹thmilin› i'm dying
21/04/2006 02:45:34 ‹thmilin› slowly.
21/04/2006 02:45:39 ‹thmilin› of poisoning.
21/04/2006 02:45:41 ‹thmilin› it was arsenic.
21/04/2006 02:45:47 ‹thmilin› there was old, white lace.
21/04/2006 02:46:01 ‹thmilin› someone said it was a long, hot summer
21/04/2006 02:46:35 ‹thmilin› but i didn't listen, i kept walking right into that streetcar, named desire?
21/04/2006 02:46:53 ‹thmilin› and got hit before the u-turn
21/04/2006 02:47:00 ‹thmilin› this old lady rescued me
21/04/2006 02:47:23 ‹thmilin› but she lived out in the country with little figuring penguines and a big rubber mallet
21/04/2006 02:47:28 ‹thmilin› she's poisoned me
21/04/2006 02:47:35 ‹thmilin› HELP MEEEEEEEeeeeeeeee

Need to find out a way to eliminate the timeout disconnection. I've changed the refresh rate to 1 second so it shouldn't lag as bad.

EDIT: But if people would really like to help out, do the following. Type /quit in the message box, hit enter, and then close your web browser.

EDIT 2: I tried the automatic log out but, any IE users would automatically be logged out when the page refreshes. We don't want that.

Give this a try. http://www.movieforums.com/chat

I've read a bit about the script and have managed to adjust a few of the settings. It should automatically log you in using your forum username, and the timeout should be 60 seconds, instead of 20.

Originally Posted by Yoda
Give this a try. http://www.movieforums.com/chat

I've read a bit about the script and have managed to adjust a few of the settings. It should automatically log you in using your forum username, and the timeout should be 60 seconds, instead of 20.
Yea, it doesn't log me in with my forum name. You're using the history feature. Ew.

EDIT: Nevermind. I closed my web browser and opened it back up and it worked fine. Good job. Wish I knew how to do that. Lol.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
i appear as "unregistered." i closed all windows and tried again ... still unregistered ...

Originally Posted by thmilin
i appear as "unregistered." i closed all windows and tried again ... still unregistered ...
The script is a little buggy. So, the exact problem is unknown.

The code that looks for the user's forum cookie is incredibly straightforward/short. It's essentially one line, so I don't think it's really possible for there to be some grand flaw in it. I'm sure it's some standard little cookie quirk.

This script, for example, vBulletin, is created and tested like mad by a team of professionals, and people still have login problems with it from time to time. Cookies are client-side, and therefore by their very nature unreliable.

Anyway, I'll see what I can do.