Daniel's 150 favourite films so far

→ in
Tools    

I love Chinatown, another movie I have in my top 10 myself. Best film noir ever, and close to the best written film ever. Also Nicholsons best perofmance which is really saying something. I didn't get the hype from Taxi Driver, didn't find it original at all. I'm the 1%.

Taxi Driver is at least ten thousand times better than Chinatown. In fact, I think Chinatown doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in one sentence with Taxi Driver, but I respect your choices.

Chinatown is a great movie, but I hold Taxi Driver in much higher regard.
Taxi Driver is imo a masterpiece, while I consider Chinatown to be below average. But to each his own.

I love Chinatown, another movie I have in my top 10 myself. Best film noir ever, and close to the best written film ever. Also Nicholsons best perofmance which is really saying something. I didn't get the hype from Taxi Driver, didn't find it original at all. I'm the 1%.
Cheers, I know you love Chinatown, but it's a shame you don't like Taxi Driver although I can understand I think why some people won't like it

TAXI DRIVER! YES! My all time favorite movie! Excellent choice and excellent review!
Knew you'd like that choice, and thanks for the kind words - I loved your huge review when you did your own list, and I read it again now and I can honestly say I think I agree with all of it

Taxi Driver is at least ten thousand times better than Chinatown. In fact, I think Chinatown doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in one sentence with Taxi Driver, but I respect your choices.
Too bad you didn't enjoy Chinatown But yeh, each to their own, I'm pretty sure you like at least a couple of my films coming up anyway Thanks for the comment

Two nearly perfect movies with two of the best soundtracks ever!

You already know how much I love Chinatown (it is in my top 10 favorite movies of all time), but I can assure you that I'm a big fan of Taxi Driver too. I can't wait to rewatch it on a dark summer night, enjoying its fantastic atmosphere.

Looking forward to see your top 4!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I had a real problem with Taxi Driver when I first saw it in 1976. I didn't like or understand Travis Bickle, and what's more, I didn't like any of the other characters. I was also turned off by the violent ending and the message it seemed to be sending. I've seen it many times since, and I appreciate it a lot more now. The cinematography and music were always great, but only go so far for what I thought was convoluted - look no further than last year's The Master. But now it seems more complex, less shocking and more "normal". Ultimately, movies have caught up with Taxi Driver in content and subject matter, but most make it feel much better, both in reality and in the fact that it was almost prescient in the direction a large portion of modern cinema would take. I think it's a very good movie.

I've always loved Chinatown.

I had a real problem with Taxi Driver when I first saw it in 1976. I didn't like or understand Travis Bickle, and what's more, I didn't like any of the other characters. I was also turned off by the violent ending and the message it seemed to be sending. I've seen it many times since, and I appreciate it a lot more now. The cinematography and music were always great, but only go so far for what I thought was convoluted - look no further than last year's The Master. But now it seems more complex, less shocking and more "normal". Ultimately, movies have caught up with Taxi Driver in content and subject matter, but most make it feel much better, both in reality and in the fact that it was almost prescient in the direction a large portion of modern cinema would take. I think it's a very good movie.

I've always loved Chinatown.
Always good to hear your thoughts Mark, interesting to hear what it must of been like to watch these films on the big screen (presumably), the 70s is certainly a fascinating period in film history and a lot of my favourite films were created during it, so it's interesting to see how these films have changed and impacted on others over time. Like you said, nowadays the violence in Taxi Driver was nothing 'shocking' for me or more importantly 'unusual', it doesn't seem as disturbing as it would once have perhaps, when I first watched the film I immediately liked Travis Bickle and his character, and the film didn't leave me with a bad taste, fortunately I know you didn't give The Master a very favourable rating either, but the cinematography and sound is definitely one of the best things about it for me, hopefully in the future people will see the actual film as a great and watchable character study too, although I could equally understand why someone would fail to connect, or even like, Joaquin Pheonix's character.

And I thought that you were a fan of Chinatown and that you had it in your top 100 (which I just checked ), your comments pretty much echo mine, I loved Huston's smaller role in the film and as I am interested in noir (and films in general, I guess) he's someone whose films I need to watch eventually like The Maltese Falcon and The Asphalt Jungle, the non-noir The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, a film which I actually have ready to watch and I know you also love from your top 100 and avatar

Pretty cool top 10 you got going on here, Dan. I'm not fond of Taxi Driver, but the other films in your top 10 that I've watched, I'd rate quite highly.

If you like the fomů noir genre, I can recommend you start with Sweet Smell of Success, Out of the Past, In A Lonely Place, Double Indemnity, and Touch of Evil. Also check out the work of Robert Siodmak, probably my all favourite noir director. Guy has directed two all time great noir films, along with a string of other decent films in the genre.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
We definitely have 2 top 10's in common, Daniel. Apocalypse Now is in my top 100. Taxi Driver used to be but I believe it has fallen off.

Pretty cool top 10 you got going on here, Dan. I'm not fond of Taxi Driver, but the other films in your top 10 that I've watched, I'd rate quite highly.

If you like the fomů noir genre, I can recommend you start with Sweet Smell of Success, Out of the Past, In A Lonely Place, Double Indemnity, and Touch of Evil. Also check out the work of Robert Siodmak, probably my all favourite noir director. Guy has directed two all time great noir films, along with a string of other decent films in the genre.
Thanks for the comment about the top 10 and another big thanks to those recommendations, those all look like great films, Sweet Smell, Touch of Evil and Double Indemnity I had heard about before but the other two I had not and look great too.

On Siodmark I noticed your post about The Killers in the MoFo Movie Club thread, and I actually added the film to my IMDB watchlist because to hopefully watch because of what you wrote, but haven't been able to watch it yet.

Going through a bit of a film watching lull at the moment, been quite busy (exams and such), but when I can I'll definitely check out these films and get back to you

An unsurprisingly awesome top ten so far

Taxi Driver and Chinatown are surely two of the best films of the 70s, and Scorsese's masterpiece places at the same spot on my list! It's been a mainstay in my top five ever since I first saw it, when it blew me away the night before I started high school. Has Blue Velvet made an appearance yet? If not, I'm excited to see just how high it climbs up.

Two more solid choices, Daniel. Both on my 100, both films I appreciate immensely for a whole load of reasons.

See Double Indemnity. I don't quite see what the fuss is about and it's certainly low down on my list as far as Wilder goes, but you might love it. RUSH to see Sweet Smell, however. Brilliant, brilliant film.

An unsurprisingly awesome top ten so far

Taxi Driver and Chinatown are surely two of the best films of the 70s, and Scorsese's masterpiece places at the same spot on my list! It's been a mainstay in my top five ever since I first saw it, when it blew me away the night before I started high school. Has Blue Velvet made an appearance yet? If not, I'm excited to see just how high it climbs up.
I knew you'd like my top 10. And well done on the first kind-of-prediction so far, you are right in thinking it hasn't appeared yet The other three shouldn't be too hard to predict either if you really think about it, I'm actually torn over the order of my top four at the moment

If you like the fomů noir genre, I can recommend you start with Sweet Smell of Success, Out of the Past, In A Lonely Place, Double Indemnity, and Touch of Evil.
I also recommend all of these films. They were piece by piece awesome.

They are all
- or
-material, in my opinion. I'm a big fan of the genre, though, so I might be biased.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Those are all classics and watchable, although I'm a heathen who thinks Out of the Past is overrated, but I also think there's a big difference between a classic and a masterpiece.