Time-sensitive: recommend me some comics/graphic novels!

Tools    

Actually, it is, but it's called I Killed Adolph Hitler (I guess comiXology's search is pretty literal/crappy).
Yeah, sorry, I was writing those titles from memory. I noticed when searching for images for that post that the correct title was "Killed", but I forgot to fix my mistake.

No worries, found it all the same, and seems like exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

I often overestimate how much reading I get done while traveling (too anxious or tired, usually), but I should be able to get through at least a few of these, though I topped out at more than I'll need before getting to check all of them. I'll be sure to let you know what I think of what I do finish, though.

Thanks everyone.

I highly recommend Cerebus as well, it's a very good read.

But I am guessing you want something easy, light and short. So I'll try recommend something not more than 10-12 issues.

I recommend stuff Clowes; Ghost World, Pussey, Patience, Death Ray, David Boring etc.. All in graphic novel format. They're bizarre and offbeat.

Warren Ellis' Fell and Desolation Jones.
Someone mentioned Planetary, I recommend it highly too.
If you want something recent, try his last year's run on Moon Knight. Moon Knight is an interesting character, imagine a psychotic/schizo Batman.

Someone recommended Seconds by Bryan Lee O'Malley. Highly recommended.
This is from the guy who wrote and draw Scott Pilgrim. I recommend Scott Pilgrim too. He has an excellent sense of humor. His storylines are absurd, almost bordering on magic realism, but using that term won't just work for it. His works are sort of fantasies for any Young Adult, they're grounded to reality but somehow manage to seep in bizarre stuff.

His Seconds is something I can see working as an offbeat RomCom, along the lines of Groundhog Day or Ruby Sparks, or something directed by Michel Gondry or Spike Jonze.

There's a guy called Jason. He does excellent books. Someone here already recommended his I Killed Adolf Hitler. They are fun to read, with very little text, but the imagery is enough to absorb you into the story. Definitely go for his works, at least at some point in your life.

Read the first 5 or 10 issues of Legends of the Dark Knight if you are in the mood for some dark Batman stuff. LotDK are self contained stories that last 3-5 issues with new artists and writers for each arcs.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Seems I'm a bit late for this but I'll mention a few anyway.

Most of the big non-superhero ones have been mentioned already (Preacher, V for Vendetta, Y: The Last Man, Sandman etc) and outside of that all I really know are Marvel. Unsurprisingly I'm a Marvel guy! .

So I'd echo the mentions of Warren Ellis' Moon Knight and Matt Fraction's Hawkeye. I absolutely loved Thor: God of Thunder by Jason Aaron. It was 25 issues of pure epicness. On a much lighter note is Nick Spencer's Superior Foes of Spider-Man (17 issues) which was an insane amount of fun. Other great recent runs were Mark Waid's Daredevil, G Willow Wilson's ongoing Ms Marvel, Dan Slott's Silver Surfer (also ongoing) and the current Unbeatable Squirrel Girl. Some recently started runs that are showing promise are Black Widow, Doctor Strange and Ta-Nehisi Coates' Black Panther.

Also the current Vision series by Tom King is astonishing. It's like the superhero equivalent of American Beauty and is both beautiful and utterly heartbreaking, tackling issues such as suburban life, marriage, family, what it means to be human and how far we'll go to protect those that we love. There have been 10 issues so far and it is ending at 12 so that one isn't a big commitment and I'd recommend it to anyone.

I absolutely loved Thor: God of Thunder by Jason Aaron. It was 25 issues of pure epicness.
Wasnt it though?! TBPH that run and Jonathan Hickmans run on Fantastic Four were the best things Marvel Comics has put out the last 20 years.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Where were you, Guap, when we needed you?!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Where were you, Guap, when we needed you?!
Who's Guap?

Wasnt it though?! TBPH that run and Jonathan Hickmans run on Fantastic Four were the best things Marvel Comics has put out the last 20 years.
I just started reading this 2 weeks ago.. and WOW!
How did that recent movie miss this one? There's good cinema written all over it.. They could have slayed Marvel Studios & WB DC with this.

I am guessing the writers just went ahead and read the basic series, which was Ultimate Fantastic Four. I am guessing they thought it was best to avoid everything else cos they total up to over 600 issues. I don't get why people don't get that sometimes it's okay to read comics in betwen without having started from issue #1, some writers do a great job retconning the past history and make sure their storylines are as independent as possible to follow.

Yoda, buddy! If you are into classic sci-fi. Multiple dimensions, time travel, mind boggling absurd science.. Then give Hickman's Fantastic Four a try and also his FF.

They should now adapt this into a TV Show, I can totally see it work.

Jonathan Hickman should try writing The Flash.