My Worst Movie Dads List

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
For example, Darth Vader actually tried to kill his own son. IMO, that should place him pretty close to the top of this list.
Counterpoint! Darth Vader facilitated Luke
WARNING: spoilers below
getting that sweet, sweet robotic arm

I'm sure that Luke would rather have had a good dad when he was younger.

I agree that Flap Horton should be on this list, but not this high on the list. IMO, there are other dads who were much worse than him. He seemed to care about his kids, even though he didn't fight to keep them. He was more of a worst husband than a worst dad.

For example, Darth Vader actually tried to kill his own son. IMO, that should place him pretty close to the top of this list.
I think Flap was just as bad a father as he was a husband. Other than when they're moving into the new house near the beginning of the movie before Teddy and Melanie were born, the only time we see Flap talk to any of his kids is a brief moment with Tommy after Emma died near the end of the movie. He earned this place on this list because when it came down to it, Flap just gave his kids to Aurora, he put absolutely no fight in retaining custody of his children.

Jack Torrance, The Shining

Jack Nicholson was robbed of an Oscar for his electrifying performance in Stanley Kubrick's film adaptation of Stephen King's novel. Nicholson plays a writer suffering from writer's block who accepts a job as caretaker of an isolated Colorado hotel during the off months, taking his wife (Shelley Duvall) and son (Danny Lloyd) with him, ignoring the violent history involving the hotel's last caretaker. We learn even before Torrance and his family arrive at the hotel, that Torrance has a propensity for violence, having actually jerked his son's arm out its socket once during a domestic incident and before the movie ends, is trying to to murder his wife and son because he has unknowingly been possessed by the spirit of the last innkeeper. For my money, this is Nicholson's greatest performance, but father of the year, this guy ain't.

Hope someone enjoyed the list.

I believe you've assembled the perfect Father's Day watchlist!

Seriously, though, I've enjoyed reading. Always interesting to see what makes someone think of a character as being the worst.