Nicolas Cage Is Campaigning Against His Own Film

Tools    

I wasn't quite sure where this fit best. In the end I went for here as I couldn't decide, so if a mod wants to move it I understand. It didn't seem right to start a thread about the film and have this as the main thrust/first post of the thread. Anyway, here it is.

Nicolas Cage, ‘Star Trek’s Anton Yelchin, ‘Taxi Driver’ writer Paul Schrader and ‘Drive’ helmsman Nicolas Winding Refn don’t want you to see their latest film, ‘Dying Of The Light’.

In fact, the foursome have launched a Facebook campaign against the movie, asking that movie-goers consider their stance before going to see it.

But because there are clearly thorny legal issues surrounding the movie, they’ve had to go about their protest in a somewhat unusual fashion.

In a statement, Schrader, who also co-wrote ‘Raging Bull’, said: “We lost the battle. ‘Dying of the Light’, a film I wrote and directed, was taken away from me, reedited, scored and mixed without my input. Yesterday Grindstone (a division of Lionsgate) released the poster and the trailer. They are available on line. Here we are, Nick Cage, Anton Yelchin, Nic Refn and myself, wearing our ‘non-disparagement’ T shirts. The non-disparagement clause in an artist’s contract gives the owners of the film the right to sue the artist should the owner deem anything the artist has said about the film to be ‘derogatory’. I have no comment on the film or others connected with the picture.”

They all appear on the Facebook page sporting the same t-shirt, which is emblazoned with the following, legal-ease statement:

“No publicity issued by artist or lender, whether personal publicity or otherwise, shall contain derogatory mention of company, the picture, or the services of artist or others connected with the picture.”

So they’re protesting, but without saying the ability to say anything derogatory about the movie, to avoid legal action.

Clear?

Well, sort of yes.

Earlier this year, Schrader revealed that he’d been locked out of the edit for his movie, with executive producer Winding Refn siding with Schrader, accusing the company of ‘artistic disrespect’.

Refn said at the time that Cage was also ‘very frustrated because, in his mind, he and Paul made a great movie that both of them are very proud of - and for that to be taken away from them, it doesn’t make any sense’.

In the company’s defence, producer Gary Hirsch told Variety at the time: “We made suggestions, which Paul to a large extent didn’t approve of, and so he refused to make the changes that we all wanted, despite the fact that the changes we were looking for were very much in line with the script that he wrote and shot.

“Paul’s cut of the movie deviated substantially from his own script. It was a completely different movie from the movie that was greenlit, the movie that was discussed and the movie that was shot.”

The movie, which was originally set to star Harrison Ford and Channing Tatum, follows a CIA agent who suffers blindness on a last mission with his protege.

It’s due before the end of the year.
https://uk.yahoo.com/movies/nicolas-...229498734.html

Does this matter to you? Will it affect the box office? If so, for better or worse? I think it's worth clicking the link just to see the generic poster for the film. Cage looks, well... Not well. I actually think the Facebook campaign poster promotes the film better.

I can believe it. I hate Lionsgate. Their Blu-rays often fail to play in my player. I fear buying their products and often avoid them now, which can be unfortunate. I have been saying they're evil and got to go.

I think Nicholas Cage is quite right. I'm all for campaigns against his films
That's going into my MoFies nominations...

Doesn't effect me at all, I don't follow any of those guys on Facebook or twitter or anything. If I were a big fan and loyal to them like I am with some film makers I definitely wouldn't see it.

What affects me more is a film starring shia lebouf.
I'm a big fan of brad pitt but won't be putting any money into Fury just because shia is in it. That guy seems like a huge douche bag.

I don't like Nicolas Cage movies anyway, so this won't affect my decision to see the movie or not. Either way, I had no intention of seeing it.
Just for curiosity, what Cage films have you seen? My three favorite films of his of the few I have seen so far are,

1. Moonstruck

2. National Treasure

3. Face/Off

Wow, what did Nicholas Cage do to you guys?

I've only seen him in a couple of films. He was good in Leaving Los Vegas, Windtalkers and Captain Corelli's Mandolin.

Sure he's done lots of those Hollywood gimmicky block buster type movies, but as an actor he can cut it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Just for curiosity, what Cage films have you seen? My three favorite films of his of the few I have seen so far are,

1. Moonstruck

2. National Treasure

3. Face/Off

These are the Nicolas Cage movies that I've seen. The first few weren't too bad, but they seem to get worse as his role gets bigger.

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)
Rumble Fish (1983)
Peggy Sue Got Married (1986)
Honeymoon in Vegas (1992)
It Could Happen to You (1994)
Leaving Las Vegas (1995)
Face/Off (1997)
Snake Eyes (1998)
8MM (1999)
Ghost Rider (2007)
G-Force (2009) (voice)
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (2011)

I have no problem with Nicolas Cage. I just wish he was in better movies.

I have no problem with Nicolas Cage. I just wish he was in better movies.

There's only so far you can go with the story when you play the same character every time, buddy.

That's more Cage than I've seen.

I have seen though:
Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)
Rumble Fish (1983)...
Peggy Sue Got Married (1986)

But I don't even remember him in those movies.

Funniest Cage moment.....I was driving to work flipping radio channels and I heard him interviewed on the Howard Stern Show. Cage had just gotten married to Lisa Marie Presley. Howard is being nice to him at first, talking movies and about his collection of Elvis memorably. Then Howard starts razzin him about collecting Lisa Marie to add to his Elvis collection....MAN was Cage POd!...

Then I arrived at work and didn't hear the rest.

Lord High Filmquisitor
Peggy Sue Got married is the best bit of acting he's ever done in my opinion (I've yet to see Leaving Las Vegas). It's the one time that I felt like I was watching a real character, not just Nicholas Cage being Nicholas Cage.

There's only so far you can go with the story when you play the same character every time, buddy.
In adaptation (2002) he played a pair of twins. Two different characters in the same movie.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Peggy Sue Got married is the best bit of acting he's ever done in my opinion (I've yet to see Leaving Las Vegas). It's the one time that I felt like I was watching a real character, not just Nicholas Cage being Nicholas Cage.
But his voice was so crazy.

Since we're talking about which Cage films we've seen:

Fast Times at Ridgemont High
(Although I don't really consider this a Cage film, since he's only in it for about two seconds. Fun tidbit: I've masturbated to this movie more than any other. Although I masturbate to a lot of Cage's film. There's just something about that mysterious hairline. )
Valley Girl

Raising Arizona

Moonstruck

Wild at Heart

Guarding Tess

It Could Happen to You

Leaving Las Vegas

The Rock

Con Air
(One of my all-time favorite action movies.)
Face/Off

City of Angels

Snake Eyes (It's been too long since I've seen it to rate it properly.)
8mm (Same as above.)
Bringing Out the Dead

Gone in Sixty Seconds

The Family Man
(Very underrated movie; a bit like a modern day Frank Capra.)
Windtalkers

Adaptation

Matchstick Men

National Treasure

Lord of War

The Weather Man

The Wicker Man

World Trade Center

Ghost Rider
(I can't rate it any higher, but it's definitely a guilty pleasure. Cage + Fonda + motorcycles + burning skulls = win.)
Next

National Treasure: Book of Secrets

Bangkok Dangerous

Knowing

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans
(Cage teaming up with Herzog also equals win. "Shoot him again, his soul's still dancing!")
Kick-Ass

The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Season of the Witch

Drive Angry
(Nic Cage drinks from a man's skull. How can you top that?)
Trespass

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

The Frozen Ground

Rage

I'm a little tougher with my ratings than some, so even though the ratings aren't that high, I've enjoyed most of his films. I actually consider Nicolas Cage to be one of my favorite actors. He's much more talented than most people give him credit for. If you don't think he can act, watch Adaptation. Or Leaving Las Vegas. Or Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans. I think he's a very enigmatic dude, and he often makes even bad movies watchable. He has an almost Klaus Kinski-like quality, and I think the really great directors he's worked with--- Scorsese, Lynch, Coens--- successfully tapped into that energy when they cast him in their films. I know he's been in a lot of bad movies over the last few years, most likely due to his well-documented financial issues, but The Cage has also been in a lot of very good and great films over the course of his career. I've yet to see Joe, which came out earlier this year, but it received great reviews.

As for this particular film, Dying of the Light (lame title), I'd be much more interested if Refn was the director instead of just the executive producer. But I'll watch it regardless.