HK's 100 Favourites... Kinda

→ in
Tools    

I just put the Cruel Sea on the top of my Netflix queue, looks like something I would really like so thanks for putting that up HK.

Now I need someone to tell me why there is a LONG WAIT on a 1953 film, I know this is the wrong thread to mention this but quite often Netflix just pisses me off.
Because the other one person in the country that's interested in it at this moment has had it on his dresser for two weeks.

Loving the list HK and wish I'd thought of including the trailers. Great idea.

I really can't argue with your choices either (with the exception of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, and Natural Born Killers...yuck). Lots of movies I love in there though. The Manchurian Candidate (original), Manhunter, Carpenter's The Thing, Assault On Precinct 13, Logan's Run, Rollerball, Coffy, Foxy Brown, Pump Up the Volume, Amelie, All the President's Men etc etc. Good Stuff, but naughty naughty for telling everyone you don't like science fiction flicks.

I'm just wondering where Class of 1984 will figure on here considering you once told me it would make your top 100. Gotta love that movie.

Anyway keep up the good work.

Thanks UF.

Actually, Class Of '84 didn't make the cut that day. On another day, I'm sure it would and I was surprised that it didn't make it, as it always had before. Usually somewhere between 40 and 70.

There were a few films which I was surprised didn't make it. As I said, there's 20-30 films which on another day probably would've made it (which is one of the reasons it took so long.) As it was, I had to bump two films from the list because I remembered two films that simply had to be on the list. There were other films which I remember after making the list, but they weren't films which had to be on there.

I'll start the top 50 later.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
You realize that 100 is an arbitrary number. That's why I'm over 160 so far and planning on passing 200 if I don't croak first.

I'm assuming that you will add those "other day" flicks after you've taken a cruise (perhaps after an airplane flight) somwhere.

Thanks again for posting, HK!

I've been thinking about those other films and whether to add them, write them up as well or something. I was thinking of your thread, mark, as an example of how I might do this. Anyway, that's all for another time. Onwards and upwards! Into the top 50. After looking it over, I still don't think it's particularly "out there" but there's a few more examples of what some of you may be expecting.

50. Clueless

Ah, Clueless. Just a lovely, fun little teen movie? Well, yes, but due to its script and source, Austen's Emma, it's more than that. I love the whole "Clueless" world. So much, that I loved the TV series, too. Of course, it didn't hurt that Alicia, Stacey and Brittany were all so damn cute. The only thing, and I mean only thing, that I don't like about this film is Paul Rudd. This was the first thing I saw him in, though sadly not the last, as he turned up to help ruin the last couple of seasons of Friends, too. Phoebe should've ended up with Ross or David.

49. Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas

I'd read and loved the book about 6-7 years earlier so I was looking forward to this. Fear & Loathing was one of those 'unfilmable books' that used to exist before CGI and, were there a purpose to the universe, I'd like to think that, somehow, it includes delaying the technology so it wasn't around until this cast and director could all work on it at the same time. You've seen this, it's good before they leave for Vegas, but once they set off, like the book, this is just a batshit crazy, funride of a film.

48. Drugstore Cowboy

The first time I was aware of this film was seeing it reviewed on a programme over here called Film '89 (for the younger Brits, that's the programme that Johnathon Ross and now Claudia Winkleman hosted.) They showed the clip where Bob and Dianne are pulled over by the police, dropping the drugs through the hole in the car. I don't know why that's stuck with me, but it has. Neither do I know why that clip and review, positive though it was, made me want to see the film quite as much as it did. I saw this at the first opportunity and I've loved it ever since. I also love that James Remar is in this. A bit like Brian Dennehy, whenever I see him I think "Oh, I like this guy. This'll be all right while he's onscreen."

47. The Remains Of The Day

I'm still baffled how Anthony Hopkins recieved an Oscar for SotL and not this. OK, so Silence was first and I'm not really baffled as it was the Oscars and therefore has little to do with talent or performance, but I think if he'd been rewarded for this rather than SotL, we'd have seen a very different Hopkins for the last 20 years. One that I'd rather have seen. Anyway, this is just the kind of thing we do really well, well I say "we", as it's a Merchant & Ivory film, based on a novel by a Japanese man and a screenplay by a German, it's not a "we", but you know what I mean. This is an excellent example of it.

46. Bull Durham

Like all the best sport based films, you don't have to know anything about baseball to like this film. Hell, I doubt you even have to like baseball to like this film. Another likeable film that just appeared on my tv one day. I think the chemisty between Tim Robbins, Kevin Costner and Susan Sarandon might be enough to make this film as likeable as it. However, it's the script and supporting cast that push it that little bit further, make it a good film and get it on this list.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
AAAAAAAAAAH i'm so glad you posted Remains of the Day! the other day you posted something about it in another thread - a clip, to be precise - and it intrigued me so much but like a dummy i forgot to write the title down.

Clueless is boss, mate. Had a massive crush on Alicia Silverstone when I first saw it. Thought I was going to marry her and ****. Agree with UF, the trailers are a pretty cool and original idea if i'm not mistaken. Might have to swagger-net jack you incase I ever do another list

Pleased/Annoyed that you got A Nightmare On Elm Street on here (It somehow escaped my list), I felt EXACTLY the same way as you when I saw it, though I don't think that i ran from the wind afterwards It's just a surreal experience, isn't it? Genuinely frightening yet compelling. The Tina scene you mentioned is memorable, but what about the bed sucking one? That did it for me.

I still haven't seen Drugstore Cowboy, just one of those films I never got around to seeing. But now that I know that James Remar is in this, I will be sure to check it out. I've always liked that guy, too.

So, what you're saying is that adults shouldn't be able to have fun as when they were children? That seems a very douchey thing to say.
He's definitely not saying that at all, you're just putting words into his mouth..or thread rather.

I think HK's saying that he simply doesn't agree or like the way that films like Harry Potter and the like shouldn't be presented as anything more profound than entertainment geared towards teens, which is a fair point. I've been reading reviews and news articles for years now about how each Potter film is supposedly "dark" and more "disturbing" than the one that precedes it. Not being funny but the last one I saw was no more 'darker' than the first one ffs. Those are just deceptive words used by promoters to try and entice the adults.

Clueless is boss, mate. Had a massive crush on Alicia Silverstone when I first saw it. Thought I was going to marry her and ****. Agree with UF, the trailers are a pretty cool and original idea if i'm not mistaken. Might have to swagger-net jack you incase I ever do another list

Pleased/Annoyed that you got A Nightmare On Elm Street on here (It somehow escaped my list), I felt EXACTLY the same way as you when I saw it, though I don't think that i ran from the wind afterwards It's just a surreal experience, isn't it? Genuinely frightening yet compelling. The Tina scene you mentioned is memorable, but what about the bed sucking one? That did it for me.

I still haven't seen Drugstore Cowboy, just one of those films I never got around to seeing. But now that I know that James Remar is in this, I will be sure to check it out. I've always liked that guy, too.

He's definitely not saying that at all, you're just putting words into his mouth..or thread rather.

I think HK's saying that he simply doesn't agree or like the way that films like Harry Potter and the like shouldn't be presented as anything more profound than entertainment geared towards teens, which is a fair point. I've been reading reviews and news articles for years now about how each Potter film is supposedly "dark" and more "disturbing" than the one that precedes it. Not being funny but the last one I saw was no more 'darker' than the first one ffs. Those are just deceptive words used by promoters to try and entice the adults.
Funny you should mention Alicia Silverstone. I almost got a job with her but it fell through. Ditsy circumstances. Bet you would have been jealous. If you'd mess with me, I could always twitt Alicia's dailys but then again, had I done it too much, you might have become a stalker and then I would have had to eliminate you, ha ha.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
sure it is. now, granted, i'm not a very big fan of any of these movies, but the first 2 movies are a joke, and look like something straight off of Are You Afraid of the Dark or something. the last couple, though, were much better - the characters were definitely more developed, more serious, and the situations the Potter and co. had to go through were definitely more serious. now, whether you or anyone looks at the HP series and can't take it seriously because it's HP, well, fine, but it's plainly so that the series - in both the book and the films - does get darker, sadder, and shetloads more intense towards the end.

and i don't think 'dark' and 'profound' are interchangeable (and i've never thought they tried to make Harry Potter look exceptionally profound, just intense).

that's what she said...
Clueless really is a fantastic movie! It's a one of a kind, no actress could have done a better job at the part than Alicia Silverstone.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Of the last post I've only seen Bull Durham but it's an excellent pick. I've still not watched Clueless despite having the DVD for years and years now. And knowing you like it I keep meaning to tape Remains of the Day off Sky but either forget or it clashes with something.

I've still got a crush on her. First saw her in The Crush (which, if you've not seen it, is a good film) and then of course, the Aerosmith videos, so I was primed to see Clueless, whether it was any good or not.

It's a great scene, but Tina's death is just so brutal. Glen's death is spectacular and certainly memorable, but I think of it as a cool death, much like some in Final Destination. I guess the difference, as I see it, is that Glen's death is memorable, while Tina's imprinted itself in my mind. I like to remember Glen's death, whereas I had no choice with Tina. Also, Rod's screaming and desperate helplessness along with Nancy and Glen trying to get into the room ups the tension.

As always, I'll be interested to hear what you think.

Of the last post I've only seen Bull Durham but it's an excellent pick. I've still not watched Clueless despite having the DVD for years and years now. And knowing you like it I keep meaning to tape Remains of the Day off Sky but either forget or it clashes with something.
Don't worry JD, as it's on Sky I'm sure you'll get plenty of opportunities to record Remains Of The Day. Obviously, I recommend Clueless wholeheartedly.

Since you've completed the first half, favorites so far:

-Halloween
-Les Diaboliques
-Monsters, Inc.
-When Harry Met Sally
-The Empire Strikes Back
-Psycho
-A Nightmare on Elm Street
-Pulp Fiction

And then there's even more that I desperately want to see:

-The Manchurian Candidate
-The Thing
-Se7en
-The Haunting
-Manhunter
-An American Werewolf In London
-All The President's Men
-The Big Lebowski
-Seven Samurai
-Donnie Brasco

Deeply enjoying this so far. Can't wait to see what you select as your very highest choices

Glad you're enjoying the list, Hitch.

TBH, I'm not sure which I think you'd like the most. If I marry it up to the list of those you really liked from my list, then I think I'd recommend The Haunting first.

The only thing I'd say is make sure you get this one:

And not this one:

Ahaa! But seriously, you'd want to tamper with that ending? You don't mess with perfection!

I like Paul Rudd, for the record. In Friends and Clueless in fact, which is a really fun little movie. And yeah, Alicia Silverstone. She has that immensely cute young Meg Ryan-esque overbite thing going on. Love it.

Perfection? Oh, hell no. Chandler/Monica, Joey/Rachel, Ross/Phoebe, that's how it should've ended. In fact, you didn't need Ross/Phoebe, but that's a better pair than the horror of Phoebe/Mike or the tedium that was Ross/Rachel. My two least favourite of the six and they were the focus for so bloody much of the time.