Animals WERE harmed in the making of this movie

Tools    

I realize this thread's older than some people I know, but I can't help being reminded of the original Friday the 13th, in which Harry Crosby supposedly really slaughtered a gorgeous snake with a machete. I like snakes better than some people I've met, so I consider this the most (or maybe only) disturbing kill in the entire series.

Wasnt the water buffalo part of a native ceramony? Not really immoral to film it imo. Ive seen several foriegn films with animal death though.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
The movie October: Ten Days That Shook the World (1928), has a scene where a horse falls of a bridge and smashes into the ground and it looks like it was shot for real, throwing a real horse of a bridge.

I tried looking it up but could not find any info on whether or not it was real though, but has anyone see the movie and have any thoughts?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
It's real, but what is one horse when you want to commemorate so many brave comrades that made the revolution? /s
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Here is the scene:

So the horse was killed when making the movie for real then?

So the horse was killed when making the movie for real then?
I think that they were killed. Horses were often maimed and then shot during making of old movies during the first half of the 20th century. Probably even later in the 20th century too. I

t's sad! and it's hard for me to watch films where they use trip wires to make a horse violently fall down. Thank goodness The Human Society stepped in and started safe guarding animals being used in film making.

Snow Buddies (2008)
The film: A straight-to-DVD sequel to Disney’s ‘Air Buddies’, about five mischievous golden receivers. Not a classic.
What happened? Basically, five puppies died on set. Disney unknowingly used underage and ill dogs during production, and several had to be put down after contracting parvovirus. Dogs used on movie sets must be at least eight-weeks-old, and these weren’t. The breeder who supplied the poor creatures was charged with fraud for falsifying health documents. Not the best PR for a Disney flick
I knew about this one already. Very sad considering it was one of my childhood movies (Not a major one though).

That one about the King's Speech is kinda funny in a tragic sense. You wouldn't believe for a second that that phrase is copyrighted since nearly EVERY TV Show parodies it.

How did the horse in October die though, during the making? When the horse is shot in the movie, there is no blood, so I am assume they would have killed it another way, before dropping it into the water, on camera?

Bumping for badgers.

"The Andromeda Strain"

A monkey and a mouse were "killed" in a cage when exposed to the "virus". It was approved by the ASPCA, who were present on set. The two scenes certainly looked real, but they were just deprived of oxygen and were rendered unconscious by CO2. An asst director was just off set to revive them immediately, which brought the animals back to life. Cruel yes, but not deadly.

Alright, I didn't want to bring it up because it is a sacred cow, but Return of the Jedi. Turns out many Bothans died securing that intelligence on the Death Star. And the sickest part of it is that none of it is on-screen anyway. There was no need. Sick.

The doors of wisdom are never shut. - 'Socrates'
The Abyss had the now infamous scene showing the rat being submerged into a oxygenated liquid cage and was actually breathing underwater. The scene has been removed from virtually all copies of the movie and quite hard to find the full scene anywhere.
Did you know that in the 1980s movie PREDATOR the titular character was not originally portrayed by Kevin Peter Hall. It was in fact Jean-Claude Van Damme donning a much more insect inspired full body suit before he left the production which then led to the recasting and redesigning of the famous hunter.

Well, the big one here is probably Cannibal Holocaust. A pig is shot, spiders, snakes, and a monkey are killed with machetes. But the two most disturbing are probably the coatimundi that is sliced open alive and the turtle that is decapitated and ripped apart.

That was a mistake, as he was onstage and didn't know/think it was a real bat.

The dove, however... He was completely off his head.

On that same line, Nicolas Cage ate a live cockroach for Vampire's Kiss. Director was OK with the one take, but he insisted on doing a second one