The UK Voting Referendum

Tools    

No. Think of the EU like a club. You pay your fees to be a member and, as a member, you get the benefits of the club and being part of the club. Those who want to leave don't want to be part of the club for varying reasons, depending on the person.

Some don't like the rules, some don't like the club, some don't think it's worth the fees, while some don't think we get enough from it.

The major problem, is that we haemorrhage up to £24b a year... and we get hardly anything back.
All we DO get, is some French and Germans telling Brits what they can and can't do in Britain.

The main argument for leaving the club being that you get people wanting to work in your country...

If we leave, we get back our borders. At the moment, the EU dictate what we can and can't do with our own borders. If they say we have to take in another 4 billion refugees, then we HAVE to. No choice. At all.

The huge thing with immigration, is we have no jobs in the UK as it is. I was job hunting a while back, I applied for almost 1500 tiny jobs in the area, like, 3 hours a week and stuff.
I found out that there were up to 15,000 people applying for the same jobs.
Then the EU says we have to take in more people.

It's the lesser of two evils for me. I am voting to stay in the EU, it's going to be a sad and angry day for me if it ends up Britain is out.

I'm still researching

Naus has it summed up pretty well... there's two evils here, and it's the situation of picking the lesser.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
It's the lesser of two evils for me. I am voting to stay in the EU, it's going to be a sad and angry day for me if it ends up Britain is out.

This is basically my attitude about it all, I'm not really for either side, but you couldn't pay me to vote for something Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson condone, not that Dodgy Dave is much better either, though.

Originally Posted by The Rodent
The huge thing with immigration, is we have no jobs in the UK as it is. I was job hunting a while back, I applied for almost 1500 tiny jobs in the area, like, 3 hours a week and stuff.
I found out that there were up to 15,000 people applying for the same jobs.
Then the EU says we have to take in more people.
In that case there's a bigger issue: Why is EU sending anyone anywhere? Is it just the countries receiving immigrants wanting to get rid of them?

What if I specifically want to work somewhere like France? Is EU gonna say "no" and send me to the UK?

Well, with the EU controlling our borders, and the agreement of the Union, if someone from France, Germany etc sees a job in the UK, they can apply for it, and have completely free access to it.

Also, the current migrant crisis with Syria too. The EU can technically turn around and say "The UK must take ALL of the refugees, every single one of them" and the UK would HAVE to take them, and would not be able to argue the case as the UK is not in control of anything... the EU suits are in control. If they say something, we have to do it.

The problem with Brits, is the mindset of "We don't like having someone else telling us what we can and can't do, especially Krauts and Frogs."

That's not exactly my own point of view btw, but it is for a huge percentage of the British population.

One thing that sticks in my mind with the EU...

Most of the members of the EU, are getting poorer and poorer as the years go on. Greece is bankrupt ffs.
Yet, Germany gets richer and richer... it's mainly Germany in charge too.

Take that, and add the fact that there's one currency, the Euro.

Germany in charge of a United States Of Europe, with Germny getting richer and more powerful while the other states get poorer, with one currency across the board... is exactly what we were fighting against Hitler for.

Originally Posted by The Rodent
if someone from France, Germany etc sees a job in the UK, they can apply for it, and have completely free access to it.

Also, the current migrant crisis with Syria too. The EU can technically turn around and say "The UK must take ALL of the refugees, every single one of them" and the UK would HAVE to take them, and would not be able to argue the case as the UK is not in control of anything...
The UK doesn't have any say at all in the EU? Somehow I don't buy that.

Even if only a couple individual countries are calling the shots, why? Where's the fairness in that?

Germany in charge of a United States Of Europe, with Germny getting richer and more powerful while the other states get poorer, with one currency across the board... is exactly what we were fighting against Hitler for.
Uhhh...

The European Union is governed by Brussels. They bring in a new rule/law, and say that all in the EU must abide, and then the various parliaments debate it, and then implement it.

70% of UK laws were put in place by the EU. Schooling, healthcare, justice, labouring, trades etc etc... all came from the EU suits.
They say what we can and can't do. Membership in the EU is defined as whatever Brussels says, we have to do. They are the heads. They are the bosses.
If you're in the EU, you gotta do as you're told.

The European Union is governed by Brussels. They bring in a new rule/law, and say that all in the EU must abide, and then the various parliaments debate it, and then implement it.

70% of UK laws were put in place by the EU. Schooling, healthcare, justice, labouring, trades etc etc... all came from the EU suits.
They say what we can and can't do. Membership in the EU is defined as whatever Brussels says, we have to do. They are the heads. They are the bosses.
If you're in the EU, you gotta do as you're told.
Why did Britain ever agree to that in the first place?

Free trade. Simple as.

Pay a fee and join the club, and trade without having some sort of random tax thrown at you.

The bad side is they can dictate everything else as well.

Britain is lucky to still have the Pound. We were almost forced into taking the Euro a few years ago, but the people revolted.

Free trade. Simple as.

Pay a fee and join the club, and trade without having some sort of random tax thrown at you.

The bad side is they can dictate everything else as well.
The British Empire always was a slut for trade.

*laughs* I'm sorry.

Here's one example of EU dictatorship:

In 1992 the Masstricht Treaty was formed, and gladly Britain opted out.
If we hadn't opted out, then on Jan 1st 1999, Britain would have been forced into taking the Euro and losing the Pound.

Greece is one of the poor bastards that didn't opt out of the MTE, and were forced into taking the Euro... and within 10 years of the Euro becoming fully integrated, they were declared bankrupt.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I'm in the interesting situation of being probably the only BritFo living 2 miles away from a land border with another EU state. There's been a common travel area between both parts of Ireland since long before there was a united Europe (and since the GFA, there's not even been any border checkpoints) and Dublin has said that the current arrangements will stand in the event of the UK leaving. Their language was pretty ambiguous, however.

If you believe Cameron, there'll be 1000s of immigrants camping in my fields after Brexit, all on their way to mainland UK. All of them with syphilis. And bad breath. And worse hair.

The Leave crowd, of course, are using their usual "Oh, don't be silly. That'll never happen, look at what happened in xyz" nonsense.

If even a tiny percentage of what the Stay lot are saying comes to pass, Dublin will flick the switch on our relaxed border, lest they become a staging post for people wanting into Britain illegally. That's gonna mean an awful lot of people in the border areas will find it considerably harder to do their jobs, what with the amount of land which straddles said border. I'm ok but I have family who have half their land in the Irish Republic and half north of the border.

To me it means my cheap diesel runs to Emyvale might become more complicated.

As I said in the other thread, a plague on both their houses.

I'm finding the whole thing really annoying now. If it wasn't for Cameron panicking about his job as PM and pandering to Farage so as not to upset their far right members , then we wouldn't be having this referendum at all.

I'm finding the whole thing really annoying now. If it wasn't for Cameron panicking about his job as PM and pandering to Farage so as not to upset their far right members , then we wouldn't be having this referendum at all.
Quoted for truth.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I'd have laughed at the thought a few weeks ago, but can see Leave edging it now.

Boris as PM with Gove as Chancellor? That's legitimately scary.

Luckily, I have dual nationality with a country which won't need a Visa for a booze cruise to Calais. If Leave wins, you'll see scores of hard line Unionists over here applying for a sly Irish passport.