Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Tools    

I think you should say it in a LOT of words that contain innuendos and outdated slang that code the true essence of your feelings yet obfuscate them to the degree that a non-discerning reader may come away feeling as though they read nothing at all.

Apart from the outdated slang, have you been reading over my shoulder?

As foolish as it may look, we can at least learn one thing from a man chasing his hat in the wind. He wants his hat back. Then, once we realize this, we can sit back and observe the funny way he runs after it, or how diabolical the wind can sometime be, or maybe even marvel at what an instinctive hat snatcher we have in our presence, if this so happens to be story with a happy ending.

The challenge of Miller’s Crossing will be that it is most interested in a man who doesn’t want us to see him chase anything. Tom Regan is not about to dance for our viewing pleasure. If he can, he will keep himself to the corners and watch everything as he silently sips some rum, only bothering to respond if someone says something that he hadn’t already calculated to be said. We’ll see him give a slight wince, because now he might need to step out of the shadows to course correct things. But never accompanied with any grand gestures or change of expression. He doesn’t want us to know anything about him, not even what he is doing in his own story.

The only glimpse we will ever be granted to his inner workings will be as he confesses to a dream he once had: a nightmare of stiff breezes and loose headware. “There’s nothing more foolish than a man chasing his own hat”, he states grimly, then to clarify why he has told us this, makes it clear it's only because he thinks it was nothing but a dream about a hat. But, unfortunately for him, it reveals to us exactly what we need to know, and why it is he stares with seeming indifference as everything he wants walks away from him.

Watching Miller’s Crossing with the knowledge that Tom Regan is a man crippled by pride, and who lives with the fear that all of the feelings he hides inside might one day betray him and get him to chase after that metaphorical hat after all, will somewhat let us in on the inscrutable spell it casts. But it will always be unclear how much of the films mysteries he has already got a read on, and when everything wraps up, how much he cares about the conclusion. He sure isn’t about to tell. And in the instance that the hat does happen to return, how can we ever be certain whether it was through some secret meteorological interference designed by him, or if the breeze just happened to blow it back his way? Does it even matter? Well, not according to that deadpan expression we’ll get back from Regan himself as he dusts it off and returns it to his head.

While it may be a meticulously made noir homage, filled with all sorts of eccentric underworld hanger-ons, each sporting a mouthful of the tastiest pulp dialogue this side of Dashiell Hammet, Miller’s Crossing seems like an emotional wasteland as we watch. Mostly this will be because we are not permitted to share in any of its failures or triumphs. Only to watch and wonder who is pulling the strings here, if anybody. And, in this respect, it is fascinating. But the movie also seems as if it lacks some amount of heart, a fitting (and likely necessary) absence since the central question posed in the film revolves around whether or not Tom Regan is in possession of such a pesky organ.

In answering this question the first time, it will be met with an unexpected show of mercy. The second time, violence will quickly and mercilessly punctuate the question, almost as if it might somehow erase the first response from having ever happened. And at this point the record will be set straight. We know there actually might be a man of some conscience inside of Regan, but it is irrelevant, since he will never be allowed out again. He will go back to dreaming about hats. And, most likely, no one else will ever think these hats might be anything but a hat ever again. We will have stopped watching him by then, after all. Left with what is technically a completely satisfactory character arc, we will move on, even if when we stand back a little, it might be hard to see if anything has happened at all. Just as Tom Regan probably likes it.

Apart from the outdated slang, have you been reading over my shoulder?
You givin’ me the high hat???

You givin’ me the high hat???

Since I'm not sure what lingo was racially tinged, and what wasn't, I'll pass on calling you any new word I learned from it.

I'll just sit here making Edward G. Robinson noises, even if that's entirely irrelevant to anything.

That's a film I need to revisit (that, and Barton Fink). Saw both around 15-20 years ago and I felt that most of its themes went over my head (particularly with BF).

The trick is not minding
That's a film I need to revisit (that, and Barton Fink). Saw both around 15-20 years ago and I felt that most of its themes went over my head (particularly with BF).
Totally agree with BF. I had a meh response to it because it was so weird, and I hadn’t been use to surrealism in films yet. I wonder how I’d respond to a second viewing?
I will also admit that, for me, surrealism is hit or miss.

Victim of The Night
Articulating my feelings on Miller's Crossing seems impossible.

How do you talk about a movie that keeps so much of its plot mechanics and emotions held so tightly to its chest?

A movie that seems to be offering so much, but won't really ever let you in.

*scratches chin and wonders if cheap whiskey will answer this question*
Since it's one of my favorite movies of all time, like if I made lists it would probably be Top-25 and has a chance at Top-10, I will look forward to your words.

Victim of The Night
Funny, the first time I watched Barton Fink, despite being a huge fan of Blood Simple, Raising Arizona, and Miller's Crossing, I did not care for it and I'm not even sure if I finished it. Watched it again something like 17 years later and thought it was fantastic.

One thing I love about Miller's Crossing is telling people it's actually about a gay love triangle that went very wrong and they have no idea that I'm not joking at all.

Now that's some sophisticating plotting via innuendo!

Victim of The Night
Since I'm not sure what lingo was racially tinged, and what wasn't, I'll pass on calling you any new word I learned from it.

I'll just sit here making Edward G. Robinson noises, even if that's entirely irrelevant to anything.
That's a penny you owe him.

Miller’s Crossing seems like an emotional wasteland as we watch. Mostly this will be because we are not permitted to share in any of its failures or triumphs. Only to watch and wonder who is pulling the strings here, if anybody. And, in this respect, it is fascinating. But the movie also seems as if it lacks some amount of heart, a fitting (and likely necessary) absence since the central question posed in the film revolves around whether or not Tom Regan is in possession of such a pesky organ.
Tom suffers. He may not trust it, but he definitely has a heart. He even looked into it at one point.

One thing I love about Miller's Crossing is telling people it's actually about a gay love triangle that went very wrong and they have no idea that I'm not joking at all.

Now that's some sophisticating plotting via innuendo!
RIP, JE Freeman.

Yeah, I felt similarly about this one; the dialogue and period details are very striking, yes, but at the end of the day, it felt like it mostly existed to just pay homage to earlier works of Noir/Gangster fiction, instead of standing on its own two feet as a fully engaging experience in its own right, when other, better Neo-Noirs (like Chinatown or LA Confidential) have no problem doing both things at the same time. It isn't a bad movie, just a bit too... hollow-feeling for me to call it a great movie on the whole.

Yeah, I felt similarly about this one; the dialogue and period details are very striking, yes, but at the end of the day, it felt like it mostly existed to just pay homage to earlier works of Noir/Gangster fiction, instead of standing on its own two feet as a fully engaging experience in its own right, when other, better Neo-Noirs (like Chinatown or LA Confidential) have no problem doing both things at the same time. It isn't a bad movie, just a bit too... hollow-feeling for me to call it a great movie on the whole.

I like the movie a fair bit and think it is a lot more than a homage. Me wrestling with the movies deeper implications isn't an indictment of it in any way. It's testament to the fact that it means it made me lean in closer to see if I could hear its heart beating. And there was, upon further reflection, a little stirring that could have been one.

Is it as good as Chinatown? Probably not, but I don't think there is any real need to compare the two films. Just being indebted to noir doesn't make them brothers. If anything, I'd compare it to something like Night Moves, simply in the fact that it goes to great lengths to hold its mysteries close, like they are personal secrets of the main characters.

Is there a bit of alienation that happens when a movie keeps such a straight face as this one does. Sure. I'm definitely more emotionally invested in Blood Simple or No Country for Old Men (movies, I'm sure lots of other people would say are pretty emotionally remote as well). But it is also an essential factor of what makes it work, even if it simultaneously keeps me at arms length from it.

One thing I've learned over all these years of watching films, is it isn't always necessary for a movie to welcome you into the club. Not all movies that I like need to like me back.

Music Interlude

The best Canadian rock and roll album released in the last ten (plus one) years? Maybe. Why not.
Maybe this will finally give Obscure the courage to ask that coffee shop girl out.

I admit. I've got a bit of a wart. On my fanny. Giving me the fidgets.

Miller's Crossing is top-shelf Coens for me. I don't get the "hollow" thing at all. Tom is ice cold but obviously vulnerable. Men with no feelings don't sit on the edge of their beds chainsmoking about nightmares, no matter how silly they were. Verna and Bernie were the only ones who saw past his flinty pale eyes. He loves Verna, is jealous of her, is terrified of being hurt by her. That final shot of Tom at the end tells you all you need to know about his heart.

Since it's probably a foregone conclusion at this point, I might as well reveal that the two Coen films on my list were Raising Arizona and Barton Fink. Miller's Crossing isn't far behind, and, in fact, that specific trilogy remains my ideal of peak Coen powers, the ones against which all other are measured. There's been many superlative contenders, and I'm still not sure if The Man Who Wasn't There doesn't come the closest. But we all know how serendipitous and/or fickle people embrace the various Coen adventures. Sure, the three above were my first taste of Coens (along with Blood Simple, which is great but remember I had to deal with the "I'm a Believer" version) and Arizona is almost certainly the one I've watched the most, whereas others may also be biased to those specific trysts with which they fondled through their distinct Coen impressions. But every single Coen movie has occupied both the best and worst list of one fan or another. I suppose that's a remarkable feat.

I should probably drop by that thread again (the discussion has been moving so fast I gave up trying to keep up). I did not vote for any Coens, but if I had to put together decade-specific favourites lists, I could see myself throwing The Big Lebowski and Blood Simple on them. There are others I recognize are just as good, but they do not inspire any special love in me.

I only watched Crossing once a long time ago, so I can't go into a ton of detail on why I felt the way I did about it, I just remember feeling like it was a film that was mostly surface, without much substance. I don't know, maybe I'd like it more a 2nd time around, now that I know what to expect. That being said, Neo-Noir kind of strikes me as somewhat difficult genre to get right, depending on the circumstances; I mean, something like Blood Simple (to keep this Coens-related) works relatively easily by taking a Double Indemnity-like setup and updating it to an entirely contemporary setting, but when you lean really hard into homaging the classical era of the genre, you seem to get a lot of movies that exist just to be tributes (like Miller's), ones that are somewhat confused by whether they should satirize the tropes of the genre, or take them seriously (like The Long Goodbye), or ones that descend into unintentional self-parody (like Sin City). Of course you still have classics like Chinatown, but it still feels like a tricky genre to get right to me, from what I've seen.