The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've never understood the love for Taxi Driver. It's okay, but I don't consider it a great movie.

Alien is another good sci-fi movie that's just a little too much on the horror side for my taste.

Does anyone want to take a guess at the remaining films? Really easy to know what films are left, but not the order...
Maybe easy for others, but not easy for me to know. I would've thought for sure A Streetcar Named Desire, On the Waterfront, Double Indemnity and a bunch more classic greats would've made it, but they won't.

Shame this is almost over...so soon?
Agreed, it does go fast. Now aren't we all glad this wasn't done 5 movies a day, then the countdown would've been already over and we'd all be bored.

Taxi Driver has never quite been an all-time favorite of mine, due to its occasionally inert narrative, and the way that it unintentionally indulges in one too many stereotypes of Black men, so it wouldn't have made my list if I had submitted one, but that said, all of that means that it's "just" a 9 movie for me instead of a full 10, so I still feel it's a great film at the end of the day. And Alien, whoo boy; it's my #1 Horror movie of all time, so I'm definitely happy to see it up so high, so yay!

Taxi Driver is a film I saw at the theaters and loved it. My beyond-cool parents took my early teen self to see it and I loved it. There are layers to it and subtle things I never noticed that took a Special Edition DVD with the director talking about it that gave it even more depth for me. Like the (here I go into spoiler mode because I don't trust that there isn't something who hasn't seen it out here in the audience) scene
WARNING: spoilers below
at the end, after all is said and done and Bickle is hailed a hero and he's in his cab at the end, there's a moment where he jerks his eyes lightning fast at something he sees in the review mirror, which indicates that he's still off his rocker.
Very interesting!

Alien I also saw this at the theater, in my beloved old movie palace with my older-than-me girlfriend (boy did I have a big head over that, only for it to end in flames! ). Still, I'll never forget the experience of seeing this great movie, and with her, her lovely long nails digging ever so deeply into my forearm during the chestburster scene. But this movie stands the test of time and made me love badass females with guns (or flamethrowers in this case). Neither made my list but I love them very much and both are 5-star winners for me.

19. The Searchers #97
1. To Kill a Mockingbird #85
25. Die Hard #63
14. Rear Window #40
8. It's a Wonderful Life #38
2. Aliens #37
13. The Wizard of Oz #36
9. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back #30
3. Lawrence of Arabia #15

As much as I've loved the clues and think they've been a fun addition to this countdown, I agree that heading into the top 12 they're just going to be too easy with the extremely small pool of potential films left to appear. Sounds fair to me.

I reckon @Skepsis93 will still predict be able to predict the top 10 anyway
Yeah after the next reveal I'll post the top 10 in order and Yoda can wrap the countdown up

I'll guess Citizen Kane and Apocalypse Now for today as the last two outside of the Top Ten.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A system of cells interlinked
I will guess Fellowship of the Ring and Pulp Fiction next...

Also - I would not be opposed to getting just one film per day for the Top 10.

I will guess Fellowship of the Ring and Pulp Fiction next...

Also - I would not be opposed to getting just one film per day for the Top 10.
I think that's how Yoda plans to do it. At least I think he said so earlier in the thread.

If it does I rarely hear it talked about much here. I do like the film though
If you're talking about Kane, it would certainly be a shame. Having rewatched it (twice) this month reminded me how much deserving of its praise it is.

A system of cells interlinked
I think that's how Yoda plans to do it. At least I think he said so earlier in the thread.
Ah, I missed that. One would think I would understand how these things usually go, what with me having been here forever while also working here, but...here we are!

• 266 points
  • 17 lists
12. Dr. Strangelove

Director

Stanley Kubrick, 1964

Starring

Peter Sellers, George C. Scott, Sterling Hayden, Keenan Wynn

• 270 points
  • 15 lists
11. LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring

Director

Peter Jackson, 2001

Starring

Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, Liv Tyler, Viggo Mortensen

We've gone on holiday by mistake
How do people pronounce Dr Strangelove?

I always went Dr-Strange-Glove but now I'm doubting my own existence since noticing the spelling is Dr-Strange-Love earlier this year.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Does anyone want to take a guess at the remaining films? Really easy to know what films are left, but not the order. Shame this is almost over...so soon?

The tricky part though is that order, I think one person came close one time on one of these lists. Respect goes to the one who can do it.

Added bonus points if they get the number of lists they are on.

No one will get all those elements, hahaha. Going down the list (humble brag I know the outcome), I guess we can wait till after these two and guess the top ten?? Even then I still think it would be difficult.

Looking back at this whole thing, I gotta say I'm happy that so many people are engaging in actual intelligent conversation regarding these movies. Other times it's been quick thoughts, which still happens, but I feel like it's more back and forth this time, which is nice. Very nice to see the new members take to this so quickly and they seem to fit in quite well.

Endgame is next by the way.

Suspect's Reviews

#11, wow. We knew it was coming but I am absolutely blown away by how much love LOTR got on this list. Fellowship is the best for me and after my rewatches early last year I think it is firmly in my 100. Somewhere in the 84-100 range. Great movies. Have I mentioned how surprised I am that all three made it, and Fellowship just missing top ten?

Strangelove is very good and very funny. A 3.5 star movie for me. So obviously not on my list and nowhere near a top 12, but the Kubrick cult is real. Also, in this film, Scott>Sellers.