The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Anyway, I didn't put any of the LOTR films on my ballot, but they're plenty worthy. People are finding some increasingly elaborate ways to say what just amounts to "other people's ballots aren't the same as mine."

I think it makes sense to judge the LOTR films partially on degree of difficulty, and keeping in mind how many wannabe epics have tried and failed to generate the same sense of scope and enormity since then. True epics are hard to find, even though there are many facile imitators now (particularly given the decreased costs of CGI), but the fact that there are so many films trying to do that makes the LOTR films more impressive and not less, to me.

And, not that anyone has explicitly said this, but I don't find grandeur or scale to be a less important or less valuable expression of the form than something personal or somber, at all. This list should represent all that the form has to offer, and that means making room for things like this. I'm glad they're on there.

I find it pretty cool that a LOTR entry - a story basically starting with the 9 rings being awarded - was on 9 lists and had 9 reviews... that’s fun.

Anyways, Return of the King is my personal favorite and it was the only entry out of the three that kept its perfect rating from me on the last rewatch. One of the biggest and greatest epics ever.

I love Hitchcock and Psycho is great. I didn’t vote for this particular Hitch tho...

I think it makes sense to judge the LOTR films partially on degree of difficulty, and keeping in mind how many wannabe epics have tried and failed to generate the same sense of scope and enormity since then. True epics are hard to find, even though there are many facile imitators now (particularly given the decreased costs of CGI), but the fact that there are so many films trying to do that makes the LOTR films more impressive and not less, to me.
Heck, Peter Jackson couldn't match what he did in the original trilogy, even with related source material.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Nada

Programming note: this thread now has the 39th most posts of any in the site's history (it'll top 5,000 very shortly), and it's either 3rd, 4th, or 5th if you exclude ongoing tabs or games (depending on exactly how you define that). And it's only been up a little over a month.

Programming note: this thread now has the 39th most posts of any in the site's history (it'll top 5,000 very shortly), and it's either 3rd, 4th, or 5th if you exclude ongoing tabs or games (depending on exactly how you define that). And it's only been up a little over a month.
How does it compare with the other countdowns on this forum?

Ah yeah but how many of those are quality posts? I know none of mine are

So how many MCU movies are making this list?
I say about 1 or 2, since with movies coming back from the dead that we past on the 2010 list, for examples like Psycho, Back to the Future and etc, we may not get any

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

How does it compare with the other countdowns on this forum?
It's just behind the 90s and 80s and should pass them both in a couple of days. It'll probably end up in first with a couple thousand to spare, at least, particularly if there's a lot of added activity near the end.

Welcome to the human race...
No votes here. Return of the King made my first top 100 (the only installment of the trilogy to do so) but not the second - been a while since I've seen it so it may not hold up as well as I remember anyway. I still think Psycho is just good-to-great rather than an unimpeachable classic, but it is one of the few Hitchcock films I've seen more than once so that's got to count for something.

So how many MCU movies are making this list?
At this point, I doubt any will make the list. The ones I would think had a very, very, veeeery slight chance are Iron Man, The Winter Soldier, Infinity War, or Endgame... not because of me, but because of how popular they were. But again, I doubt it at this point.

I've always been a fan of Psycho, but just enough so that it was 25th on my 60's ballot if I remember correctly. It's my #3 Hitch behind Dial M for Murder, and the only one I came close to voting for here, Rebecca.

That's 2 King of the Rings sequels and 2 movies on the countdown I haven't seen. That'll be all now.

I also think it's safe to say that The Dark Knight lost its chance as well.
Watch it will be on top top 10 , hey we've had plenty of movies that we past and they ended up making it back, I actually thought Psycho wasn't gonna make it back after passing it on the list