The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

My Name?
...wtf?
A very good point, the clue may well be multitangential - I'll change my guesses to:

. . .Yin Ji

. . . .and

Tie guan yin

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I think Chypmunk is referring to the 2016 anime film.
I'm just messing with Chyp in that my user name, ynwtf, stands for Your Name wtf? There's a 2-decade old story to that that I won't go into now.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I'm just messing with Chyp in that my user name, ynwtf, stands for Your Name wtf? There's a 2-decade old story to that that I won't go into now.

Aye, gotcha.

2 more greats... LOTR: TT and Schindler.
Didn't vote for either.

2010 vs 2020 Comparison  

I think I agree that The Two Towers is the "worst" film in the trilogy...but I feel weird saying that, because it's still excellent, and I'm not sure if it's actually worse so much as it simply has a thankless job, compared to the others. Chopping them up feels a little wrong to begin with, too.

It has some of the best sequences of the entire trilogy, regardless.
Mentioned this I think yesterday or the day before when LOTR came up.
Towers has the unenviable task of having no definitive beginning or ending.
I actually prefer the movies in terms of the order they were released though.
Fellowship is my fave, it has a special kind of magic about it. Then Towers then ROTK.

You're right though about the sequences.
As much as Return Of The King has that huge battle at Gondor... Two Towers was the first time we properly saw an epic fight.
In the cinemas though, amazeballs.

I somewhat recently rewatched Schindler’s List and it’s very good. Spielberg at his most restrained but still very much a Spielberg film. That’s how I would describe it. Take it as you want. But yeah, I find it to be an admirable piece of cinema that is really well made and the length is warranted too.

As for The Two Towers I’m also one to say it’s the weakest of the three. It definitely have many of the “middle part problems” that’s also just hard to avoid. And it does it much better than others, but I still have some problems with it. My last revisit of the trilogy also brought down the movies a bit. They are still impressive as hell but I’m not as much in love with them any more as I once was. But I plan a 4K rewatch soon actually, after finishing up the rewatch of The Hobbit trilogy.

Also, ROTK is the best one. People are crazy up in here calling it “the weakest by far”.

Tomorrow's hint:

The things we use
To view the world
Reflect our hopes
And fears unfurled

For when we cannot
Leave our space
They'll transport us to
Another place
I agree with everyone on Rear Window especially because of the "for when we cannot, leave our space" line.

A number of good guesses on the other film. I think that Inception could work here too?

We've gone on holiday by mistake
2 more greats... LOTR: TT and Schindler.
Didn't vote for either.

2010 vs 2020 Comparison  
Another thing I'm interested in seeing, which film will be closest to it's original position or if there will be any exact matches.

Rear Window
The Matrix
I like these odds, but the last part also gives me Wizard of Oz vibes.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched the whole Lord of the Rings trilogy recently for the Fantasy HoF. I liked all of the movies, but I didn't love them the way most people do. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers was my favorite of the three movies, but none of them made my list.

Schindler's List is a perfect example of the difference between my list for this countdown being filled with "best" movies versus "favorite" movies. I think Schindler's List is one of the best movies ever made, and if this list were a "best movies" list, it would have been at or near the top of my list. However since Schindler's List is such a tough watch, and a movie that I have no desire to rewatch, it's not a "favorite" movie, so it didn't make my list.

46. The Silence of the Lambs

45. Persona

44. Halloween

43. Unforgiven

42. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

41. Schindler's List

Schindler's List is a bona fide classic in my view and Spielberg's crowing achievement. But it's not my favorite Spielberg movie to watch. The subject matter is important and should be viewed at least once, but repeat watches are hard for me. I still love it.

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers is a great installment in the LOTR trilogy, but I'm with most everyone here that it's the weakest of the three, but it still doesn't make it a weak movie, just a bit less than the other two. Neither got on my list.

19.The Searchers #97
1. To Kill a Mockingbird #85
25.Die Hard #63

Have seen 47 out of the Top 100

Kind of surprised to see Halloween. It's really good in the horror film genre (imagine Jaws, but with a serial killer instead of a shark), but I thought it wouldn't show up here especially in the top half. Donald Pleasance is memorable as Dr. Loomis and Jamie Lee Curtis offers a strong presence as Laurie Strode. And much like Jaws, Halloween benefits from limiting the amount of time Michael Myers shows up so when he does, it's impactful. Plus, it doesn't try to explain who Myers is other than he's pure evil.

Unforgiven is strong. Clint Eastwood feels at home in the western genre and Gene Hackman and Morgan Freeman's characters are memorable as well. Even though I felt similar themes were done a bit better by The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Unforgiven still does a fine job.

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers is for my money the best of the trilogy, because it doesn't take too long to get started and it doesn't take too long to end it. But your mileage may vary because I saw the extended versions and I might have nodded off a bit. But, I got the gist of the story. I do think it helped that its blend of practical effects to CGI was fairly high.

Schindler's List is very good, a rumination on one man's efforts to save the lives of others in World War 2 with his factory operated by Jewish workers, through cleverness and bribes. It can be a very sad movie at times, but it also offers hope.

Schindler's List, Halloween and Unforgiven probably make my top 100, but none of them made it to my top 25.

Watched Magnolia this morning, a bit mixed on it myself - I can see why people would either love it or find it frustrating/annoying as I kinda managed each of those feelings, though not necessarily in that order lol.

Tomorrow's hint:

The things we use
To view the world
Reflect our hopes
And fears unfurled

For when we cannot
Leave our space
They'll transport us to
Another place
I'm getting Wizard of Oz vibes (transport us to another place).
As for the other one, maybe The Shawshank Redemption (cannot leave our space)?

Neither Schindler's List nor The Two Towers were on my list, but they both get a from me.

I could only let myself vote for one LOTR movie to represent them all. It wasn't really a difficult choice even though I adore the trilogy, and even though I certainly see them as one whole story, they are separate movies and I'm more than happy to see all three here (which the appearance of TTT pretty much confirms will happen at least in my mind) if that's what the MoFos decide!