Dayum, that's a big backlog!

Amadeus is good but it's been a while
Raging Bull is okay but I'm not into Scorsese
The Third Man is very good but I need to rewatch it
The Exorcist is good but I need to rewatch it
The Silence of the Lambs is okay but I might have to rewatch it
Persona is one of Bergman's best and a total masterpiece
Halloween is okay but way too overrated
Unforgiven is good and I totally have to rewatch it as I don't think I appreciated it enough back when I watched it for the first time
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Welcome to the human race...
This, same as with Linklater and Dazed and Confused . Happy to see him get the rub but wish it would have been for something else.
If last year's Horror countdown was any indication, there's a good chance that The Thing will show up later.

I've seen Unforgiven a couple of times and I just don't care for it at all. The fact that I don't like Clint Eastwood doesn't help. I don't think I've ever actually seen the original Halloween.

My Ballot:
5. Her (#94)
9. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (#92)
25. Clay Pigeons (One-Pointers)

Also several days behind.

The Third Man is such a fantastic film - it was reasonably high on my list, and I'm pleased to see it here. I still listen to Harry's Theme. The Welles reveal/grin is absolutely iconic and the film is a top notch thriller/noir. Deserves its reputation.

I have not seen The Exorcist yet, though it has been on my list for awhile.

Silence of the Lambs is a very good film, though I never considered it (or frankly, thought of it.) For adaptations of these books, I'd take the Hannibal series over it.

Persona. This was my #2 or #3 (can't remember). As you might guess, I'm surprised its this low. That said, I'm even more surprised it wasn't on the last list! I take some credit in helping it get onto this one. This is Bergman's masterpiece. Slim, easy, and unforgettable. Heavily cribbed in Mullholland Drive but immensely influential to many directors besides Lynch.

Halloween. I haven't seen it either. Some big gaps in my horror resume. Will remedy.

Unforgiven. Wow, a colossal film that I should have considered. I adore this film. A fabulous moral reckoning for the Western in general and for Eastwood in particular. Marvelously self-aware and well deserving of a spot.

# 79
Unforgiven 1992 Directed by Clint Eastwood
Halloween is a bona fide classic and #2 on my Horror list. Unforgiven would have made my 'best' 25 but I decided to send in a favorite 25 list, it's #3 on my Westerns list and #79 on my all time top 100. Both great and worthy additions to the MoFo Top 50.

Seen: 47/58

A guess at the remaining 42 films, in random order:
  1. Casablanca
  2. 2001
  3. Dr. Strangelove
  4. Citizen Kane
  5. Jaws
  6. Raiders of the Lost Ark
  7. Goodfellas
  8. Fellowship of the Ring
  9. Pulp Fiction
  10. Apocalypse Now
  11. Taxi Driver
  12. Godfather Part II
  13. Blade Runner
  14. The Godfather
  15. Psycho
  16. Alien
  17. The Good the Bad and the Ugly
  18. Once Upon a Time in the West
  19. Lawrence of Arabia
  20. 12 Angry Men
  21. Seven Samurai
  22. Back to the Future
  23. The Empire Strikes Back
  24. The Shawshank Redemption
  25. On the Waterfront
  26. Double Indemnity
  27. Vertigo
  28. The Thing
  29. The Breakfast Club
  30. Wild Strawberries
  31. Se7en
  32. Rear Window
  33. Rashomon
  34. Chinatown
  35. The Shining
  36. Inglourious Basterds/Reservoir Dogs
  37. Matrix
  38. The Dark Knight
  39. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
  40. Fanny and Alexander
  41. Gladiator
  42. Schindler's List

The characters are typical and Richard Harris' character hardly had to be there. That aside, it's a fantastic movie.
I've always thought that he makes a huge impact on the movie, and that it's the supporting characters and dialogue that sets it above other westerns and most movies. It's always been my favorite western although The Wild Bunch is banging on that door.

I don't love the Halloween franchise, but I love the first movie and the villain.

No votes from me.

Loooooove Halloween. As a big horror movie fan this is a classic for me. I’m hoping this isn’t the last of Carpenter we see though as I have one from my list I’d love to get on here.

Unforgiven is well done too.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Did you listen to "The Cheese Shop" sketch from the Monty Python record before you saw The Third Man. Maybe that's why you associate it with something lighter?

Ha! Well, I've heard that sketch many times (I have a few vinyl MP records from back in the day, and I own the entire series on DVD, having fallen in love with it back in the 1970s when it played on our local PBS station). But sadly, no, I can't blame my opinion on that sketch. (The music IS eerily similar, though.)

I think it just reminds me of some wedding dance scene from, for example, My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

The Unforgiven is worthy, I considered it but had to cut it.

Edit: Freudian slip I love The Unforgiven, and like Unforgiven.

The Adventure Starts Here!
It's never been my favourite horror, my favourite slasher, or my favourite Carpenter - as good as it is, I feel like everything about it has been done better before or since.
I'm curious about which movies you think did this better *before* Halloween showed up. At the time we all thought it had a newness about it--the jump-scares were nearly perfect and felt like nobody had been doing them before. It seems, to me, to have ushered in a lot of now-classic horror elements. I saw it in the theater as a teenager when it first came out, and the two friends I saw it with and I were completely creeped out... especially when we got out to our car and found it unlocked, having been quite certain we had locked it before we went in.

You can bet we checked every inch of that car, and the trunk, and underneath the car, before we got in.

"Unforgiven" is my second favorite western. The issue is, there was only room for one on my list. Also think it's one of Eastwood's better films.

"Halloween" was alright, if remembering it correctly. Saw it at the drive-in when released. I've mentioned before that horror is my weak sauce, a genre I don't really care for. Similar to the other film, there was only room for one horror on my list, and this ain't it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Craptastic List:  

44/58 films seen

Another pair of great films.

Halloween is fantastic and is one of the best slasher films I've seen. The way it builds suspense is still groundbreaking to this day and few films have topped it in that regard. Not my favorite Carpenter (that would be The Thing), but happy to see it on here.

As for Unforgiven, pretty much all of my favorite Westerns are from the 1940's - 1960's with little inclusion of films from other decades, but this film still places high on my short list of favorite Westerns. It crafts a brilliant post-Western world which feels like the culmination of the Wild West. It's a fun setting to get lost in, and I'm happy to see it rank high on this list. With that being said though, The Wild Bunch is my favorite Western film which is set in the final years of the Wild West.

Recently rewatched Unforgiven but it’s just not one I love that much. It’s well made for sure, but I’m not at all up in the high skies with the praise for it.

Of course it’s great to see Eastwood and Freeman together. Masters at their work. But though intentional, the story is so grim and cold. It emotionally detached me in a way (and I like Trier movies, for perspective). But this one just does it in a way that doesn’t fully engage me.

And I don’t like that young kid. Never been a fan of such characters in any movie. Don’t like Paul Dano in TWBB either. Those whiney types. They ruin it for me no matter how they are used in the story. It makes completely sense in Unforgiven, but I don’t completely dig it. Solid film, but only just.

Halloween is a totally different movie. One of the most effectively simple scary pieces of cinema out there. I awarded it the full five last time I saw it. On its own turf, it’s pretty much unbeatable. I admire it very much. It wasn’t on my list, but probably could have been.

@Yoda
Was just flicking through the 2010 Top 100 so I can do that compare list I've been doing... and noticed #25 just says "The Lord Of The Rings"... which one is it though?

@Yoda
Was just flicking through the 2010 Top 100 so I can do that compare list I've been doing... and noticed #25 just says "The Lord Of The Rings"... which one is it though?
They considered them as one film. Madness if you ask me

Unforgiven isn't perfect. The characters are typical and Richard Harris' character hardly had to be there. That aside, it's a fantastic movie.
Strongly disagree with this. The character is extremely important to establish who Little Bill is and how he operates, but he also serves as a parallel to Munny. His beating is also integral to the general deconstruction of the outlaw myth on the film.