My Top 10 Films of 2020

Tools    

Eh, I’m not sure it’s totally fluff from what I saw of it (maybe 30-40 mins). Very much a coming of age story of a clever girl who relies on her own resources rather then relying on the men, and society for that matter at the time, who expect her to live up to certain standard. Only Sherlock seemed to show any interest in her.
It’s definitely a fun watch, and that was just a short sample size.
I don't mean fluff in a bad or dismissive way at all. "Escapism" might have been a better word to use.

I did like the character arc of Enola finding her own path and slowly gaining the esteem of her siblings and unraveling her complex relationship with her mother. It's a good film and I really hope there are sequels in the future.

The trick is not minding
I don't mean fluff in a bad or dismissive way at all. "Escapism" might have been a better word to use.

I did like the character arc of Enola finding her own path and slowly gaining the esteem of her siblings and unraveling her complex relationship with her mother. It's a good film and I really hope there are sequels in the future.
Ah gotcha. Im sorry.*
Usually fluff is used pejoratively. My mistake!

Victim of The Night

The Invisible Man--I know some people took issue with the last act of this one, but I liked it from beginning to end. It's also the last film I saw in the theater before lockdown.
I'm with you, I thought the movie was rock-solid from start to finish and I've been surprised to hear people say otherwise. I thought of it as kind of unassailable for what it was trying to do and be.

Victim of The Night
Amusingly, after looking over this thread, it appears that I only watched ONE film this entire year that was released in 2020 (before I pulled the trigger on the awful Wonder Woman 1984 a few days ago).
Which, honestly, is not that different from my normal habits.
So I have a top-1 list for 2020.

Ah gotcha. Im sorry.*
Usually fluff is used pejoratively. My mistake!
When I use it, I'm usually talking about movies that are light or a little silly but know that they're that way and embrace it. It made my honorable mentions list, after all!

I think it's kind of silly that there is often snobbery around such films. Enola Holmes isn't trying to be There Will Be Blood. I think that it does a great job of achieving exactly the tone and character arc that it wanted to.

I'm with you, I thought the movie was rock-solid from start to finish and I've been surprised to hear people say otherwise. I thought of it as kind of unassailable for what it was trying to do and be.
I'm often baffled by the criticism that "once things start being explained" it gets less interesting. Like, were you not watching the movie? Did you not know what was happening?

I agree that the first half and its eerie thriller/horror setpieces are more compelling than the more action-driven second half. But that second half, and the final act, still packs a punch.

I don’t think I’ve even seen ten 2020 films. Onward was pretty but mediocre. Soul was good but I didn’t love it. Unhinged was worse than I thought it would be. I was hoping for at least some cheesy so bad it’s good kind of fun but it didn’t even deliver that.

Victim of The Night
I'm often baffled by the criticism that "once things start being explained" it gets less interesting. Like, were you not watching the movie? Did you not know what was happening?

I agree that the first half and its eerie thriller/horror setpieces are more compelling than the more action-driven second half. But that second half, and the final act, still packs a punch.
I hadn't heard that criticism because I actually hadn't heard that much criticism, but I did hear it was 3rd-act "issues". I certainly don't understand anything referring to "things being explained" because there was nothing really to explain. The audience should have known what was happening all along it was not some sneaky twist thing, it was all happening right there on the screen and it played out almost like a straight line between point A and point B.
I wonder if people were sitting too far back. Could they see the screen ok?

My top 10 of 2020:

Trial of the Chicago 7
I’m Thinking of Ending Things
The Way I See It
Disclosure
Soul
Never Rarely Sometimes Always
Cuties
Hamilton
The Prom
Tenet

I hadn't heard that criticism because I actually hadn't heard that much criticism, but I did hear it was 3rd-act "issues". I certainly don't understand anything referring to "things being explained" because there was nothing really to explain.
I can understand why some people might prefer the more psychological-thriller nature of the first half to the more action-oriented second half.

But I think it's weird when people say they like the ambiguity of the first half. I mean, there isn't ambiguity (in the larger sense).

I'm always so perpetually behind on current releases that I can never compose anything that feels like a top film list for the current year. 8 of your top 10 are movies on my to-see list. I will honestly mostly use responses in this thread to add to my watchlist.

That said (and that there are many other films I need to get to), things I loved from 2020 are:

Sound of Metal--I wrote up a long review of it. But suffice to say it's one of the most excellent evocations of subjective point of view and a compelling story. Solid performances, powerful message. I'm rarely excited to rewatch movies soon after seeing them, but I'm really looking forward to watching it again.

Palm Springs--Even for me, I will concede that my love of this one is very, very subjective. It came out right when I'd been sent home from work and uncertainty and anxiety were the watchwords of the day. I find it genuinely funny, I was charmed by the lead performances, and as someone who can dwell on the past, I appreciated its message.

Emma--I was thoroughly delighted by this adaptation of Austen's novel. And a huge chunk of that was how much I enjoyed the costuming and overall color scheme of the film.

The Invisible Man--I know some people took issue with the last act of this one, but I liked it from beginning to end. It's also the last film I saw in the theater before lockdown.

Honorable Mentions:

Wolf of Snow Hollow--Not as strong as Thunder Road, but I still enjoyed the odd mash-up of Cummings' cringe-comedy and a horror film.

Enola Holmes--A lovely dose of easy escapism with winning performances. Automatically added to the list of films to put on if I'm feeling down.

The Old Guard--Falls short of being great, but I really loved the cast and there were some solid action sequences.

Amulet--More something that put Romola Garai on my radar as a director, but there were some interesting ideas here and some unforgettable imagery.
I'm dying to see Sound of Metal...I've loved Riz Ahmed ever since I saw Nightcrawler. Really enjoyed Palm Springs too... big Andy Samberg fan.

1. Soul
2. Da 5 Bloods
3. I'm Thinking of Ending Things
4. Hamilton
5. Tenet
6. The Invisible Man
7. Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
8. Mank
9. Borat 2
10. Host

I'm very conflicted about several of these and it's my least enthusiastic top 10 for a year in a very long time.

I'm dying to see Sound of Metal...I've loved Riz Ahmed ever since I saw Nightcrawler. Really enjoyed Palm Springs too... big Andy Samberg fan.
Sound of Metal is the rare film that I don't worry about over-hyping because I can't imagine someone being disappointed by it. And if you like Ahmed, I think you'll really appreciate his performance.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
stop listing 2019 movies as 2020

kthxbye
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

stop listing 2019 movies as 2020

kthxbye
I use USA release dates in my lists.

For example, I had no way to watch Sound of Metal until 2020.

I take your point that it could easily turn into just "favorite movies I saw in 2020."

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Don't take Minio too seriously.
Rude! Get back to watching 25 hours of film a day or something!

As always I’m very much behind on new releases... I already got a couple written down that I know I want to watch. So right now I don’t think I have enough for a solid list.