why hate?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I hate those who think there's a difference between "hate" and "dislike". There isn't. They literally mean the same thing.

If someone said "I dislike you" to me, it's not like the mildly more polite phrasing wouldn't result in me getting hurt.

As for the OP, it's about disliking the way someone does their work. It's possible for an actor to be a super nice person, but still be really bad at acting.
What is also silly about that conversation I posted, is that after saying all that, she didn't respond to the mentions of death, poverty, famine. That didn't seem to bother her. But the word "hate" did.. Weird priorities.

The truth is in here
There are few things that annoy me more than when people dictate arbitrarily the meaning of words to other people and prescribe a context from the thin air of their own self-righteous hypocrisy. I resent every time I've done it to someone else, and every time it's been done to me. Like a verbal gestapo arresting words and throwing them in a harsher prison than the dictionary; a prison that starves nuance and impales understanding; a dungeon where the light of freedom of creative expression and individual language never grazes, and a hell that has never know or ever glimpsed poetry.
This is a very nicely written post, but I have no idea what it's saying.

It’s saying that language is a construct with inherent fluidity. Words can mean different things depending on context, intention, or an agreed-upon social code, therefore, it is irrational to say a word means x and doesn’t mean y. Words like ‘hate’ in particular are emotive, and they are often used loosely. One cannot expect one’s own interpretation of words to match anyone else’s. Even legal terms are disputed to death in court.

The truth is in here
While that’s a fair point, the girl’s reaction was still ignorant since she picked apart how he used one word instead of listening to the overall point he was making. War can destroy whole nations and are largely pointless. Why does she think the word "hate" is too strong to use to describe someone’s feelings about war? Makes no sense.

While that’s a fair point, the girl’s reaction was still ignorant since she picked apart how he used one word instead of listening to the overall point he was making. War can destroy whole nations and are largely pointless. Why does she think the word "hate" is too strong to use to describe someone’s feelings about war? Makes no sense.
That's not the problem. The problem is that if you say a word necessarily means anything specific in every situation regardless of context, like saying "dislike always means hate," for example, then you will necessarily misunderstand other people and accuse them of meaning things they never intended without affording them any opportunity to explain what they really meant to say. Case in point, understanding that you personally always mean "hate" when you say, "dislike" is an aspect of language that is individual to you and subject to change at any time given any whim that may sweep over you.

Most people are not very educated when it comes to language. A good example of the confusion of language is the movie The Immitation Game.

I can say for certain I would never refer to someone I don’t know as ‘the girl’. Nor was @Zotis saying that. The conversation in this thread is about film (or at least art) critics and not war, war was used in a specific example, and personally, I interpreted @Zotis’ reply as relating to the topic at hand and not the example about war (which seemed irrelevant and a little inappropriate).

Also, I personally disagree that the term ‘dislike’ can be synonymous with ‘hate’ except in very specific circumstances. Regardless of one’s own opinion on the issue, it is very strange to state that the two ‘mean the same thing’ as if that’s factual. It is a personal judgment.

I don't even know who he was referring to by "The Girl," because if he's referring to me then I don't think he understood a single word I said, and he must be confused by the bird and the monkey.

I don't even know who he was referring to by "The Girl," because if he's referring to me then I don't think he understood a single word I said, and he must be confused by the bird and the monkey.
Indeed. But then, he’s admitted this much.

Sorry, fair enough. But that doesn’t change the rest of what I wrote, this thread is not about war or about that girl, it’s about art/film criticism.

Besides, here
I hate those who think there's a difference between "hate" and "dislike". There isn't. They literally mean the same thing.

If someone said "I dislike you" to me, it's not like the mildly more polite phrasing wouldn't result in me getting hurt.
you are not talking about war. I was trying to steer the conversation back towards film criticism. I still stand by the point that it is important to define terms and be aware of the different connotations they can carry. ‘Hate’ and ‘dislike’ are simply not the same thing, and you need a dictionary to make sure of that.

Yeah, I didn't mention it before, but I also thought that stating that he didn't have any idea what I was saying strongly supported his authority on language. I mean anyone who takes fifteen seconds to google the words, "Dislike," and, "Hate," will know that they don't literally mean the same thing, so it just makes him sound like he's never used a dictionary in his life.

Yeah, I didn't mention it before, but I also thought that stating that he didn't have any idea what I was saying strongly supported his authority on language. I mean anyone who takes fifteen seconds to google the words, "Dislike," and, "Hate," will know that they don't literally mean the same thing, so it just makes him sound like he's never used a dictionary in his life.
Well, I thought it was worth pointing out.

What? I was referring to the girl matt talked about in the war example.
Okay, that's what I initially suspected.

Well, I thought it was worth pointing out.
Yeah, I mean I'm kind of glad you did. I just didn't want to be the first person to say it. I thought it was a bit self-evident, and I'm trying to be less antagonistic because I already got temp banned twice.

On a separate note, unrelated to this discussion, but related to the thread itself, I find it funny how threads can go viral by a fairly illiterate OP that says hardly anything and never revisits the thread. Basically, just the topic alone is something a lot of people want to talk about, but it comes into being through someone that's not necessarily a part of the community.

Welcome to the human race...
So it is whenever anyone bumps an ancient thread for no apparent reason. How did rambond find this thread, let alone decide it was worth digging up?

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
On a separate note, unrelated to this discussion, but related to the thread itself, I find it funny how threads can go viral by a fairly illiterate OP that says hardly anything and never revisits the thread. Basically, just the topic alone is something a lot of people want to talk about, but it comes into being through someone that's not necessarily a part of the community.

I've noticed that myself. Some of the game threads were created by people who only posted once, or maybe just a few times, and then vanished.

Alright, let's get a little context.

What? I was referring to the girl matt talked about in the war example.
Reminds me of a conversation I had with this girl..

"You know, Jenny, I really hate war, and how its all built on lies. They benefit less than 1%, and I hate the hypocrisy..."

"You know, Matt, you shouldn't hate anything"........ RIGHT, because if I said "dislike" it would change EVERYTHING.

As for the OP, it's about disliking the way someone does their work. It's possible for an actor to be a super nice person, but still be really bad at acting.
I don't think that saying, "You shouldn't hate anything," is, "picking apart how he used one word instead of the overall point he was making." Saying that you shouldn't say something isn't "picking it apart." Picking a word apart is actually what you did, mattias, by picking apart her use of the word war. Ignoring the overall point SHE was making, is also what You did (and by the sounds of it matt also, though he didn't give enough context to determine).

Also, just because matt is saying that, "If I said 'dislike' it would change EVERYTHING," does not mean that she was necessarily making a point of saying "dislike" instead of "hate." For all we know with the tiny amount of context we have, she could very well have been trying to say that war is not to be evaluated at all, neither liked nor disliked, but understood and appreciated. War is a terrible thing, but what announcement of war has ever not been instantly met with celebration and lofty ideals of heroism?

War can destroy whole nations and are largely pointless. Why does she think the word "hate" is too strong to use to describe someone’s feelings about war? Makes no sense.
So, if hate literally means the same thing as dislike, then why would you think it's too strong a word to use to describe someone's feelings about war?

See, this to me just reveals the whole hypocrisy behind this charade. You know perfectly well that hate and dislike mean two totally different things, and you prove this when you respond accordingly like this.

Edit: Nevermind, I misread this.

So, if hate literally means the same thing as dislike, then why would you think it's too strong a word to use to describe someone's feelings about war?
Priceless. Why did I not make that point? 😂👏