1940's Hall of Fame II

Tools    

sorry guys for not being so engaged in the thread. I was quite busy lately. I just watched I Remember Mama and gathering my thoughts. It is a fine fine movie.

I don't see a bad film in the bunch! So I think all the noms are worthy

But some of them are pretty obscure titles, so if they make anyone's 40s Countdown list, it will mostly be us in this Hof. There is 12 of us, so our list should have an impact on the final countdown.

I think His Girl Friday, Double Indemnity, Day of Wrath and maybe Beauty and the Beast and The Ghost of Mrs. Muir were locks without this HOF. Of the others i think only the ones that do very well; maybe top four will make the countdown because of how obscure they are i think they'd need a decent bit of help from the members here.

Don't know about Gentleman Jim is that well known?

There is 12 of us, so our list should have an impact on the final countdown.
It will probably take alot to make some of our lists though. Me (way less than everyone else i'm mentioning but i do already have 40+ i'd vote for and a very strong list), you, gbg, Vamp, Cricket, Blix, Ed and Thursday will probably end up with alot of films we'd want to vote for but have no room, odds are we won't find more than a couple of strong potentials and they might not be the same ones.

Thanks for reminding me that I'm nowhere near being prepared to make a list for the 40s Countdown.

For the Sci-Fi list I easily had 100 films and the issue was cutting that down. Here, I need to watch and rewatch so many films I'm basically building my list from the ground up. We'll see which approach works out better haha.

On the plus side I've rewatched Beauty and the Beast. Not sure if I'll get my write-up done this evening or not, since I might have other plans. I'd like to get to rewatching Odd Man Out (or perhaps watch a different film depending on my mood) this weekend as well.

The most loathsome of all goblins
What other Errol Fynn movies have you seen that you recommend?
Here are my top fifteen Flynn features:

1) The Adventures of Robin Hood
2) Objective, Burma!
3) Gentleman Jim
4) Dodge City
5) Captain Blood
6) The Dawn Patrol
7) The Sea Hawk
8) They Died With Their Boots On
9) Santa Fe Trail
10) Rocky Mountain
11) Desperate Journey
12) Northern Pursuit
13) The Charge of the Light Brigade
14) The Adventures of Don Juan
15) Dive Bomber

I would recommend all of these.I could watch Errol Flynn all day, but there are some of his movies that haven't connected with me. The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex bored me to tears, and I say that as someone who finds the history of English Royalty quite fascinating

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
How many of these nominations will actually make the top 100 40s countdown? Predictions now!
I would say that I expect 3 of these films to definitely make it. Also, there are 3 films that I think should make it (they definitely deserve to be on a list like this).

I will start this this weekend. I picked up Double Indemnity, Gentleman Jim, Beauty and the Beast, Day of Wrath and Body and Soul from the library today. And as it is going to be brutally hot out (90 degrees is just too much for me), I will definitely plan on this being what I do this weekend. In that kind of heat, I don't have much energy to do anything else, anyway.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
The Adventures of Robin Hood
Objective, Burma!
Dodge City
The Dawn Patrol
They Died With Their Boots On
Santa Fe Trail
The Charge of the Light Brigade

The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex bored me to tears, and I say that as someone who finds the history of English Royalty quite fascinating
I thought this was OK. I don't think it is one of his best either, but I thought it was OK.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Here are my top fifteen Flynn features:

1) The Adventures of Robin Hood
2) Objective, Burma!
3) Gentleman Jim
4) Dodge City
5) Captain Blood
6) The Dawn Patrol
7) The Sea Hawk
8) They Died With Their Boots On

9) Santa Fe Trail
10) Rocky Mountain
11) Desperate Journey
12) Northern Pursuit
13) The Charge of the Light Brigade
14) The Adventures of Don Juan

15) Dive Bomber

I would recommend all of these.I could watch Errol Flynn all day, but there are some of his movies that haven't connected with me. The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex bored me to tears, and I say that as someone who finds the history of English Royalty quite fascinating
Essex IS a bit slow. Enjoyable. But slow.
Bold all my all time favorites that i've seen over and over. And like you, Robin Hood IS at the top of that list. Haven't seen Dodge City (shame on me) and very glad that Gentleman Jim was nominated since it was one of his I've been wanting to see.

How many of these nominations will actually make the top 100 40s countdown? Predictions now!
I'm not sure, but I think there's a chance that more make it than they would normally. My guess would be that there will be a little downturn in the amount of lists submitted for the 40's countdown. Our group of 12 will have more influence on 55 lists than if there were the usual 70 or so.

Nice of you to list your favourite Flynn flicks, Blix . I'll make sure to check out some of them in the near future.

His Girl Friday

Don't blink, or you WILL miss dialogue!!

It's kinda funny that the SPEED of the words being said out weighs almost everything else that this movie has to offer.
And it DOES have a lot to offer. Which, to keep up with the dialogue does go at a break-neck speed.
The speed never really bothered me. Just as long as there were no distractions around me so that I could keep my full attention to this movie and truly enjoy all that it had to offer.

There are some great comedic bits in this. In particular, the side remarks among the other reporters stationed out at the prison. While at the same time it WAS a bit of a scary mirror to hold up to what the news was allowed to do without little to no responsibility or repercussions. But dwelling on such things is a bit counter productive for the film itself and its wit and speedy deliveries. So, enough of that.

This is one of the few films that I've been able to see a young Rosalind Russell and always knew her as Auntie Mame which she is truly great in; so it was a great pleasure to see her in this. Going toe to toe with Cary Grant for savvy and quick thinking. Making a great and very diabolical team.
I must say, I really felt sorry for Bellamy's character who played the nice, understanding guy very well.

Another stand out enjoyment was this rotund messenger in the photo above. LOVED his scenes.

A very, very fun film and so glad I FINALLY got to see it!
EXCELLENT call @SilentVamp!

I just noticed that I still had my half-finished Beauty and the Beast write-up open. I decide to take a quick look at it before heading off and in between my two complete paragraphs, among a number of sentence fragments and ideas, I have written this:

"Outside is real."

...okay. Thanks me, that's really helpful. You guys ever write something, go back to it later, and have no idea what you were on about?

There are some great comedic bits in this. In particular, the side remarks among the other reporters stationed out at the prison.
I think I forgot to mention them in my review, but I also particularly enjoyed those guys. I also found it amusing to see how each of them spun news stories to their editors, or whoever was on the other side of those phone calls.

I just noticed that I still had my half-finished Beauty and the Beast write-up open. I decide to take a quick look at it before heading off and in between my two complete paragraphs, among a number of sentence fragments and ideas, I have written this:

"Outside is real."

...okay. Thanks me, that's really helpful. You guys ever write something, go back to it later, and have no idea what you were on about?

I think I forgot to mention them in my review, but I also particularly enjoyed those guys. I also found it amusing to see how each of them spun news stories to their editors, or whoever was on the other side of those phone calls.
I've done that, A LOT. Go back and have NO IDEA

something else I found funny, was HOW FAST people answered when they called their newspaper. Like they were holding the phone and waiting LOL. And considering HOW OFTEN they'd call "Copy" there must be a small team dedicated to answering the phone.

I Remember Mama

Just a tiny detail how they presented mama calling her child down for dinner. Then the camera looks at the daughter being by herself. All we see is respect, love and obedience. Then she goes to dining room right away and still gets reproach as to why she didn't come down immediately but only after two times calling. It was very nice scene and a good lecture. In nowadays movies the most common reaction of child would be rolling eyes, annoyance even some f word would come out. Of course I don't wanna compare but it was refreshing to see it throughout the movie.

We see an ordinary movie with ordinary people that are presented to us as an immigrant family from Norway now living in San Francisco. Papa is the head of the family and mama respects him however she's the one running things around. But not without effort as she's always busy working hard around the house. Nice touch also, the whole family counting the budget with kids to make the ends meet. And Oskar Homolka - uncle Chris is the boss making a drinking party out of dying. As soon as he finishes his last drink he departs in tranquility.

The whole family has all kinds of troubles, issues that they are trying to resolve. It may seem trivial nowadays and would be most probably waved off. It is simply nice to see how they all discuss within family and respect one another. However naive it may seem I think these kind of movies are important to exist and I consider it for a great nom. We can see that mama loves her children and her husband but it is not a love in a puppy way or a blind one. There is a very good balance between love and justice and strictness. They are much richer than any other family that don't have to count their budgets. I'm glad I could see it.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2017-06-10-10h35m29s314.png
Views:	283
Size:	222.5 KB
ID:	31287  

Beauty and the Beast/La Belle et la Bête (1946)
Dir. Jean Cocteau
Starring: Josette Day, Jean Marais, Marcel André

I absolutely love the aesthetic style of Beauty and the Beast and think it's a shame that we couldn't have seen more of its most spectacular set pieces, particularly the interior of the Beast's castle. However considering the circumstances in which the film was made and the lack of resources available in France at the time, I'm surprised it managed to be as visually impressive as it was. This is a film that was made for the people of France who were suffering in the wake of World War II. Their cities were destroyed, food rationing would continue for years to come, and many were still terrified for their future.

The film starts with a message from Cocteau asking the audience to remember a time when they were children, when magic could be as real to them as anything else. The point was not to question what was presented on screen, but to allow oneself to get caught up in the fantasy. But that doesn't mean that the film is pure escapism. It contains a number of themes intended to appeal to adults, with a final moral message that man and beast are essentially the same. Due to an abundance of Freudian symbolism, it is possible to interpret the film as Belle's journey into adulthood and sexual awakening, however I believe the intended idea was that love can turn a beastly man into a good one, while greed can corrupt a good man into becoming beastly.

The prosthetics Jean Marrais wore as the Beast were a great accomplishment at the time, however they were incredibly restrictive and greatly limited his ability to express emotions. Marrais' vocal performance in those scenes had to be rerecorded during post production since he couldn't even speak clearly under the make-up. As such, the film relies on gestures, music, and visual imagery to convey the Beast's feelings. While not everyone is going to be a fan of this highly dramatic type of performance, I personally think it works well with the way the rest of the film is presented. Belle was also prone to exaggerated body language, but it was her graceful and effortless gliding down the castle's corridors that really stood out to me, as her movements (likely the result of her former years as a ballet dancer) really complemented the strange dreamlike qualities of the Beast's world.

While I haven't read the original story by Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont, I've been lead to believe by others that this film is a much closer adaptation than many of the more recent and popular films. Whether or not that is actually true, it's certainly a unique and well-crafted film with an abundance of practical effects and visual trickery. The castle is eerily beautiful, and the costumes are beyond impressive. It likely won't be to everyone's taste, but I hope the experience will at least be appreciated to some degree.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	LaBelle.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	31289