The 13TH Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
If we are being honest here, put mine dead last i don't write for *****. Didn't say can't because i probably can write better than i do: hope i'm readable at least.
For honesty's sake, what I look forward to in your write ups is your knowledge and your insight. I also enjoy when something catches your eye or you find amusing and share it.
That kind of inner perspective is always enjoyable to read AND, at times, thought provoking.

No bullsh!t, I'm dead serious when I say this

Oh, my one and only gripe is that many of them I can't read UNTIL I see the movie and by then, it's way past commenting on or joining in on discussing something with you when you write it.

Also no bullsh!t

Oh, my one and only gripe is that many of them I can't read UNTIL I see the movie and by then, it's way past commenting on or joining in on discussing something with you when you write it.
If you have something you'd like to add, I say go for it anyway. I don't think I've done it recently, but I have chimed in on weeks-old HoF conversations before haha. Even if the original participants don't have anything new they want to reply with, other people who previously missed the conversation might have seen the film recently as well.

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring

~ beautiful beautiful film ~

Camo, I will be sending my list very shortly. I already have pretty much an idea how to rank all noms

I was truly enjoying watching all the noms.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
If you have something you'd like to add, I say go for it anyway. I don't think I've done it recently, but I have chimed in on weeks-old HoF conversations before haha. Even if the original participants don't have anything new they want to reply with, other people who previously missed the conversation might have seen the film recently as well.
That is a great idea, a lot of times I'll simply make my remarks part of my review.
I may try that as well.

I've sort of missed out on the last 2 weeks of reviews and convos as my internet was out on the last 2 weekends and I've been super busy....But even though I'm done and have sent in my list, I do plan on participating an catching up on reading the reviews and commenting.

Well according to my drunken nonsense (sorry about that, going to delete it all) at the top of the page i've only got to add one review on this page.

Nesto sent me his list, thanks alot you've been an awesome addition to the HOF's

Hope you continue to take part in them.

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring

We observe the life of two saints (please note we don't know the names of the two Buddhist monks as it is utterly irrelevant because the Buddhist liberation or salvation lies on to free oneself from endless suffering and existence), an old monk and spiritual leader and a boy monk his apprentice. I can easily call them saints because however horrible actions the young monk has committed he was able to return to the right path. He repents, he accepts his punishment, he matures and he returns to his vocation.

We see the spring season where boy monk ties little rock to fish, frog and snake and observes laughing how they struggle. Thus one of the Buddhist precepts – abstain from harming living beings – was broken. Old monk quietly observes and doesn't interfere as to teach the boy the self awareness and self discipline. Then ties a big rock to the boy's body and send him to free the animals giving him a life important lesson. Other than that they live a quietly in prayer and meditation.

Summer comes and the boy is now a teenager. A young girl is brought to the monastery to heal. Lust awakens in young monk and another precept is broken, namely sexual misconduct. Please note how one action intertwine with another. After he makes love to the girl he no longer respects the invisible walls (symbolism of morals and discipline and freedom at the same time, he may choose, he is not forced). He doesn't use the door but goes straight through the „wall“ to her. It all starts in tiny details and grows to jealousy (jealousy is a fear someone takes what is in your possession, another basic Buddhist concept is broken). It all ends up with murder. Old monk discovers them and tells the girl she has to leave. He is not angry, he is not making scenes, only thing he said to his apprentice was „lust leads to desire for possession, and possession leads to murder". Young monk then runs away to follow the girl and steals Buddha statue and rooster that was with them. As if taking his desires and also all hi learnt from his master, the whole religion (also another precept broken – stealing).

And fall is here and many years passed. Old monk accidentally reads in a newspaper that his apprentice is wanted for murder. Apparently the girl ran off with another man and young monk couldn't face it and murders her. And there he goes coming back to the sacred valley to see his master. And not only to see him, he also wants to heal his tormented soul. But the punishment from master is not enough as master respects the law and young monk needs to go to jail. It was amazing how two detectives, first all noisy and with little respect, changed after witnessing the punishment even helping out carving the characters into the wood. I like to allude here they were all carving their characters to make it better. They all fall asleep tired (mainly the young monk) and peacefully go to serve the justice. No handcuffs are needed. Then old monk, knowing his life is at its end performs a death ritual and dies quietly and unnoticed, just like his all life. Please note that the young monk was trying to perform the same ritual however it would be to easy for him. He needed to face the truth and fulfill his purpose as a monk.

And winter comes and paroled monk, around 40 of age, he returns to the monastery, to his home and sets on the path to self discipline and sainthood. Eventually a woman comes and brings her little boy for an apprentice. The woman then leaves but falls into the frozen lake through the hole and dies. Now the new master finds her and sees her face. It is not important who she is. He then takes the statue of Buddha and dragging a heavy stone climbs the mountain to set the Buddha reflecting on what he has done to animals when he was a child and on lesson learnt. This is for me the strongest moment of the film.

And spring is here again and all comes back with the same events as if to remind us that in order to liberate ourselves from the existence we need to go through cycles of sufferings and lives as Buddhism teaches. I believe there is the same path or pattern to achievement of sainthood throughout all the major religions. It is not about what we done but about how one is willing always to return back to the right path, way or however you may call it.

I like the way the film was directed and acted purposely campy only to emphasize the many of significant symbolism through the film and make the story more abstract to be more accessible as the lesson of life and Buddhist parable for everyone. Also Ki-duk-Kim casts 3 different faces from the apprentice (even himself) only to focus on the different states of young monk's soul at each level of his life.

Life is wonderful with all that we live and we wouldn't know the beauty if we don't experience the ugliness. Only then we truly appreciate the beauty. This film is not purely Buddhist as anyone can watch it and pick up the message. This film can be effective to everybody as it is an universal film. Definitely the masterpiece for me. Of course I respect different points of view. Thank you.

The most loathsome of all goblins

Manchester by the Sea

This was a very well-made and enjoyably over-the-top drama about grief and the suppression of one's emotions. Casey Affleck was excellent, and the numerous flashbacks were done in a way that kept me absorbed. The real star though though is the dialogue, and I loved the back-and-forth between Lee and Patrick. The highlights for me were amusing slice of life moments like Lee trying to remember where he parked his car.

8/10

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The Great Dictator

My seventh Chaplin movie and while it probably wouldn't crack my top 3, I have a lot of appreciation for the film. It's great to see that Chaplins comedy could be transferred from silent films to his talking films. He has such an imagination for being a comedic genius. Like others, not every joke hits but I enjoyed the missile scene and I also enjoyed the pudding scene and him coughing up the coins. I will tend to agree with others that the film did seem a bit long, I often find myself enjoying shorter comedies of his. It was a very gutsy movie for it's time and it's interesting that this movie was made before Hitler became the real Hitler that we all know and hate today. I have a lot of appreciation for the significance of this film, but yet it won't be an all time favorite either.

+

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'll rewatch Spring Summer Fall Winter yadda yadda next.

I still need an iPad friendly link for The Hunt though if anyone can hook me up.

A little update from me (there will be spoilers in the reviews)

The Quiet Earth: I had this film on my watchlist for a while so I was glad that it was nominated. It rarely happens, but the film actually was a lot like I anticipated it to be. A long part of the film is: a man who finds himself in the world alone, goes a little crazy after a while, etc. Then he meets someone and we see the defaults of humanity. Even if it was like I predicted I really enjoyed it, the world building (if we can call it that) was very good, I mostly liked the characters, but I have to admit that toward the end when they start to not get along so well together it seemed over the top for me. Not necessarily in the acting, but more so in the writing, the animosity that the black guy has toward the australian guy seemed a little out of no where. Still, I really enjoyed the film, it was a well made, entertaining genre film.

Maria Braun: I remember watching this 3,4 years ago and really hating it. But I was 17 years old, I rewatched it with fresh eyes and though I didn't love it, I still found it very interesting. The actress did a fantastic performance as Maria this woman who doesn't seem to really know who she is even though she thinks she knows. She has this weird conception toward her husband, she loves him profoundly (at least she seems to), but at the same time she doesn't mind sleeping around. Sure at the beggining you could say that she did it because she needed to for money, but when she had an affair with the french guy who offered her a job she didn't need to have an affair with him for money, she wanted to. Weirdly I liked this aspect of the film because its realistic, people aren't stones who always think and act the same way, we constantly search and reinvent ourselves.

2 points in the film made me a little uneasy to me

#1 The murder was kind of weird, it just happened without really any explanation. Is the beer bottle that Maria smashes on the guy's head the cause of his death? If not, why did Maria and Hermann kill him?

#2 The ending, why did Fassbinder made this ending out of no where? What does it mean? I don't really know, it's an open question.

Sure at the beggining you could say that she did it because she needed to for money, but when she had an affair with the french guy who offered her a job she didn't need to have an affair with him for money, she wanted to.
I don't think she needed to but i definitely think it was beneficial for her to exploit his infatuation with her to gain more influence over him. Whether she genuinely enjoyed it is down to the viewers own interpretation but i think her main motivation was pretty clearly furthering her career; it was part of her whole manipulating men storyline. She says something to Hermann in prison when she tells him about it that it is to "keep the upper hand" or something like that.

I don't think she needed to but i definitely think it was beneficial for her to exploit his infatuation with her to gain more influence over him. Whether she genuinely enjoyed it is down to the viewers own interpretation but i think her main motivation was pretty clearly furthering her career; it was part of her whole manipulating men storyline. She says something to Hermann in prison when she tells him about it that it is to "keep the upper hand" or something like that.
That is absolutely true, I think the film isn't clearly one way or another, but what made me interpret the film the way I did are 2 things

#1 She says to the french guy ''it's not you who's having an affair with me, but the opposite'' or something like that. I interpret that in a way that she feels entitled to be sexually free whilst loving her husband at the same time

#2 A discussion she has with her friend, her friend tells her that she becomes fat and won't even be able to find a man to have an affair. In their discussion it seems normal, accepted among them that having an affair okay.

That is absolutely true, I think the film isn't clearly one way or another, but what made me interpret the film the way I did are 2 things

#1 She says to the french guy ''it's not you who's having an affair with me, but the opposite'' or something like that. I interpret that in a way that she feels entitled to be sexually free whilst loving her husband at the same time

#2 A discussion she has with her friend, her friend tells her that she becomes fat and won't even be able to find a man to have an affair. In their discussion it seems normal, accepted among them that having an affair okay.
Seriously don't remember either of those parts so i can't really respond here. Even though it's only been a few months i've already forgotten quite a bit about the film.

The way i interpreted it at the time was that the affair wouldn't have happened if it didn't come with the benefits to her career that it did, but once it began she did begin to derive some personal pleasure from it. Couldn't really give you my reasoning behind that unless i watched it again though and i don't really talk about it in my review.