Movie from the 80's

Tools    

Good Evening people. I need your help to identify this movie I watched a long time ago. In the 80's i seem to remember. I had a profound effect on me and I want my children to watch it but it seems all my attempts to find it on search engines have failed.

Generally it was a movie about a male from a middle class family who fell in love with a girl from an impoverished area. For some reason I believe the movie was based in Calcutta or Bangladesh but I could be wrong.

So the family of the male imposed a high dowry on the brides father who drove a rickshaw for a living. Out of love for her daughter he work endlessly to come up with the money for the dowry. I remember scenes in which he drove his rickshaw through knee deep water and heavy rains.

Does anyone know of this movies title? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

freedom~empathy~peace
Hi. I don't have an answer for you I'm afraid, but if you follow the link below (at the bottom of my comment), it'll take you to a list of eighteen feature films (from 1970 to 1990) that have the word 'rickshaw' in their plot description.

Maybe the film you watched is one of the eighteen.
https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?t...lease_date,asc

It did not work but I appreciate your efforts scallywag

freedom~empathy~peace
It did not work....
Hi. Just to clarify, are you saying the link did not work? -- or did you mean your film was not among the eighteen listed by IMDb?

Oh I meant that I examined your link and the movies in the search engine but it did not contain the movie I had seen long ago as a teenager. Just remembering the production quality it seems to have been produced by a Hollywood type studio as apposed to Bollywood. Many of my friends suggested the movie I saw was City of Joy but that was not it. It did not star any Hollywood actors. The search continues.....

freedom~empathy~peace
Was the story set in modern times -- 20th century?

Do you remember if the rickshaw was pedal-powered, motor driven, or the earliest kind where the operator runs in front?

(Just looking for more clues here).

Oh I meant that I examined your link and the movies in the search engine but it did not contain the movie I had seen long ago as a teenager. Just remembering the production quality it seems to have been produced by a Hollywood type studio as apposed to Bollywood. Many of my friends suggested the movie I saw was City of Joy but that was not it. It did not star any Hollywood actors. The search continues.....
And could be Bollywood? It's a long shot, but... the plot is similar in Naseebwaala (1992)

Shanti belongs to a poor family, and lives in small dwelling with three sons, Amar, Ashok, and Vinod, and two daughters, Sheela and Shobha. She arranges the marriage of Ashok, and Shobha, and would also like to get Sheela married to a young man named Ram, but Ram's mom, Durga, wants a substantial dowry, namely one lac rupees, which the family cannot afford. So the youngest son, Amar, decides to go to Dubai in the Persian Gulf for a period of two years as Ashok refuses to help, and Vinod is badly in debt due to gambling. But when Shanti finds out, she asks Amar not to go abroad, but stay in India, even if it means canceling Sheela's marriage. How will this resolve Shanti's family's problems? Will Sheela ever get married?