ScarletLion's Top 25 films

→ in
Tools    

I feel like making one of these threads. Maybe it's an ego thing! Maybe I want to create some content as I haven't done much on this site for a while. Anyway, I'm going to start my list of my top 25 films of all time. This list keeps changing and with each amazing film I watch it evolves into an updated list, which was last updated just this week.

I'll update it as and when I get round to it I expect.

So here goes. My top 25 films of all time.

25. The Conformist
24. Rome Open City
23. Le Trou
22. In the Mood for Love
21. Vertigo
20. Woman in the Dunes
19. Raging Bull
18. Nosferatu
17. Werckmeister Harmonies
16. Casablanca
15. Sansho Dayu
14. Stalker
13. Night of the Hunter
12. Jeanne Dielman, 23, quai du commerce, 1080 Bruxelles
11. A Moment of Innocence
10. Three Colours Blue
9. 12 Angry Men
8. I am Cuba
7. 2001: A Space Odyssey
6. The Passion of Joan of Arc
5. Seven Samurai
4. Citizen Kane
3. Persona

No.25: ‘The Conformist’ (1970)

Directed by Bernardo Bertolucci

What I wrote at the time:

Zoomed straight into my top 10 best looking films of all time. Vittorio Storaro's photography is beautiful. As is the rest of the film. Bertolucci explores facism , humanism and love. I may edit this review after digesting the film more....... as for now it's still living in my head, and will probably be there for some time.
Haven’t changed my opinion on this film. It’s the best from Bertolucci that I’ve seen. Mesmerising.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Cinematography aside, I was left cold
Well, that's a huge aside as visuals are one of the most important parts of a film.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Cinematography aside, I was left cold by The Conformist, but I wouldn't mind revisiting it in the future.
I can see why it may leave a viewer cold. It's essentially a film about treachery and bad traits. But I don't really let that bother me. I was just stunned by it's beauty and Jean-Louis Trintignant was so good. Come to think of it he's sublime in everything I've seen him in.

Well, that's a huge aside as visuals are one of the most important parts of a film.
For what it's worth, I watched it a handful of years ago when I was still in my "story above all else" phase, so I imagine it would fare better with a rewatch. In regards to visuals, I think what I mainly value is what a film makes me feel. And visuals can certainly contribute to a film's feel, but it's not the only element which matters to me. Rather, I take several factors into account. For instance, I felt the recent Doctor Strange film had great visuals when I saw it in the theaters, but I still found the movie incredibly dull and boring.

I forgot the opening line.
The Conformist was a 10/10 for me when I watched it a while ago. Absolutely first-rate, and a very thoughtful and intelligent film. The kind you keep seeing more and more in on subsequent watches - many layers and lots of meaning.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

It's essentially a film about treachery and bad traits.
Well, yeah. It's about conformism (duh) and it's still relevant (always will be) because conformists will always be around us.
For what it's worth, I watched it a handful of years ago when I was still in my "story above all else" phase, so I imagine it would fare better with a rewatch. In regards to visuals, I think what I mainly value is what a film makes me feel. And visuals can certainly contribute to a film's feel, but it's not the only element which matters to me. Rather, I take several factors into account. For instance, I felt the recent Doctor Strange film had great visuals when I saw it in the theaters, but I still found the movie incredibly dull and boring.
Cool beans. Good to see you grew out of your "story above all else" phase.

The trick is not minding
The story is hardly an “aside” to a film, and arguably just as important as the visuals.
Wouldn’t you agree? Or do you feel the visuals should be placed above all else?

The story is hardly an “aside” to a film
Depends on the movie and what the filmmaker set out to do.

No. 24: 'Rome, Open City' (1945)

Directed by Roberto Rossellini

I was highly enthused when I watched this 3 years ago:

Sometimes, you're in the middle of something and you know you're experiencing something a little bit special. I had the feeling with this film. It is one of the best films I've seen in my entire life. It's a masterpiece. Rossellini makes them dark and devastating. It's a stunner.
The abandonment scene is especially devastating. I have Rosellini's 'Post War Trilogy' on Blu Ray and while 'Paisan' and 'Germany Year Zero' are both very good films, 'Rome, Open City' is just that bit more emotive, raw and devastating. Truly brilliant film.

His post-war trilogy is definitely great. As much as I love Rome, Open City though, I'd probably give a slight edge to Paisan. However, as for anthologies in general, Soy Cuba remains the high water mark.

His post-war trilogy is definitely great. As much as I love Rome, Open City though, I'd probably give a slight edge to Paisan. However, as for anthologies in general, Soy Cuba remains the high water mark.
Yeah I can't think of a better anthology film than Soy Cuba either.

No. 23: 'Le Trou' (1960)

Directed by Jaques Becker

I only watched this a few weeks ago, so I'm hoping it is not here due to recency bias, but I was rather blown away by it. This is how I reviewed it:

This is an astonishing film. One of the great French movies of the 60s. Four prison inmates are greeted with a new cellmate, and they are forced to share their plans with him. Previously I had thought that Robert Bresson’s ‘A man Escaped’ was the best prison film. But this has surpassed it. It is meticulously written and is one of the most tense films I have seen for an age, which made the 2 hour plus run time feel like a breeze. Superb cast of inmates too, and the ending…..packs a punch. Despite a couple of continuity errors, this film is flawless and has to be included in my all time favourite films list. Superb.
Genuinely brilliant, gripping film.

No. 22: 'In the Mood for Love' (2000)

Directed by Wong Kar Wai.

Christopher Doyle's shimmering cinematography elevates this dreamy rainy nightscape of a film to amazing heights. It's one of the best this century and combines the framing of Ozu with the close ups and intimacy of Resnais' 'Hiroshima, mon Amour'. The melancholy nature of the story and pace somehow makes the film better. Stunning film.

A system of cells interlinked
I felt the same about The Conformist as SpelingError. I was mesmerized by the technical achievements, but overall, felt pretty disconnected to the rest of the film.

In the Mood for Love is a classic film.

No. 22: 'In the Mood for Love' (2000)

Directed by Wong Kar Wai.

Christopher Doyle's shimmering cinematography elevates this dreamy rainy nightscape of a film to amazing heights. It's one of the best this century and combines the framing of Ozu with the close ups and intimacy of Resnais' 'Hiroshima, mon Amour'. The melancholy nature of the story and pace somehow makes the film better. Stunning film.

This is the only one I’ve seen & enjoyed in your list so far.