Marvel's Doctor Strange

Tools    

I know ^ this post is likely just trying to get us to go buy costumes from that website, but the line "and finally some action happened" reminded me of what I appreciated the most from this film. Basically the exact opposite of that.

WARNING: "Doctor Strange (2016) - Ending" spoilers below
And that is the lack of action in the finale. There isn't a big city-wrecking final battle with Dormammu. Instead of using force, Strange beats Dormammu with his wit and perseverance.

Throughout the film, Stephen's whole motivation was that he was afraid of failure, so him overcoming that and resigning himself to fail time and time again was a much better character arc than if he had just humbled himself a little (so that he technically learned his lesson) and pummelled the villain, as per most other Marvel films.

Actually, the more I think of Doctor Strange, the more forgiving of it's mediocrity I am. Yes, it's the same MCU formula, but what it does well is rather good. I wasn't planning to see it again in theatres, but I might go again at the end of it's run...on cheap night. Maybe.

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, I'm also thinking that my original "ehhh at last it looks nice" feeling is giving way as I actually absorb the stuff it was laying down in and around the flashy setpieces and cookie-cutter narrative. Hell, I was even defending it when Zotis tried to use it as an example of a meaningless low-culture movie. I do think the only way I'll see it in theatres a second time will be for free in 2D, so unless that happens I'll just wait for the DVD.

Also, just click "report" on that post above yours. Nobody important will mind.

Boldly going.
So how many mushrooms is too much to eat before seeing this?

It's all jokes kid, drugs are not cool. I do like bad jokes though.
The movie's theme song should be David Wilcox's "Riverboat fantasy". Look at that wheel go round!

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Wow, I'm learning so much. This is all new to me. You mean a white person actually filled a job that was originally drawn for a non-white person? What do we call that, an affirmative action fail? I'm just glad Benjamin Bratt actually got a role in a big budget film.

This article explained a lot for me, but, that Dormammu thing did cheapen the movie by a lot. For some reason, I immediately thought of the Green Lantern movie.

Everything 'Doctor Strange' Did Right and Very Wrong
http://ca.complex.com/pop-culture/20...ight-and-wrong

My Dr.Strange newbie thoughts...
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...92#post1710192

... and The Ancient One was supposed to be a man who wears magenta? This is all way too much for me to handle. First World Problems.

This might just do nobody any good.

This article explained a lot for me, but, that Dormammu thing did cheapen the movie by a lot. For some reason, I immediately thought of the Green Lantern movie.
I thought that was one of the film's better moments. That and the entire reverse time sequence were fun responses to ever growing list of "thing from a portal is coming to destroy earth".

For me, there was only one cool scene.

The rest has been done, either with a sparkler at a birthday party, in the old IMAX intro, or in movies like The Matrix and Inception.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	cool.png
Views:	264
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	30942  

This article explained a lot for me, but, that Dormammu thing did cheapen the movie by a lot.
I didn't read that article, but the final confrontation with Dormammu was easily the best part of that movie for me. It's one of the few things Doctor Strange does that makes it different from the other MCU films, which almost lifts it out of mediocrity.

For me, there was only one cool scene.
I actually greatly disliked that particular scene, and it's one of the biggest issues I have with the film. Most of the visuals just seem like excuses to do random trippy effects. I thought I might like those sequences better when I rewatched the film when it came out on DVD, but I ended up disliking them even more.

Wow, I'm learning so much. This is all new to me. You mean a white person actually filled a job that was originally drawn for a non-white person? What do we call that, an affirmative action fail? I'm just glad Benjamin Bratt actually got a role in a big budget film.

Everything 'Doctor Strange' Did Right and Very Wrong
http://ca.complex.com/pop-culture/20...ight-and-wrong

My Dr.Strange newbie thoughts...
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...92#post1710192
It's a political thing

I didn't read that article, but the final confrontation with Dormammu was easily the best part of that movie for me. It's one of the few things Doctor Strange does that makes it different from the other MCU films, which almost lifts it out of mediocrity.
I don't mind what occured during the final confrontation, the idea was smart and unique, but I would have liked to see a more humanoid version of Dormammu at some point, with his size not reaching into the stratosphere. I see him in human form and size, in on-line comic book images. Some sort of a gradual progression would have been nice.

I also see that in the comics, the Doctor's head got popped like a grape by Dormammu. That would have been fun to see in a movie, since they already made a commitment to time loop killings.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	grape.png
Views:	285
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	30983  

I don't mind what occured during the final confrontation, the idea was smart and unique, but I would have liked to see a more humanoid version of Dormammu at some point, with his size not reaching into the stratosphere.
Yeah, I was also not a fan of Dormammu's final look in the film. I think I said before that I might not have even recognized him as being Dormammu if he wasn't name dropped before hand. That said, some of the concept art for the film actually does make Dormammu look pretty good, since he has some semblance of a cloaked form, and the space warps around his head to simulates the look of flames.

Their decision to keep the frame so close to his face in the film is disappointing. Though I guess on the plus side, at least he looks a little better in the film than he does here haha:

i'm not really that familiar with Doctor Strange aside from the cinematic universe so I kinda enjoy reading the insights about this character.