1. The Thing
2. Big Trouble in Little China
3. Halloween
4. Vampires
5. They Live
6. Ghosts of Mars
7. The Ward
8. Escape From L.A.

I need to re-watch Escape from New York and pretty much need to watch everything else for the first time.

Suspect's Reviews

Woody Allen is a pedophille
Just watched The Thing today and wrote about it here:
The Thing

Very fun horror science fiction film. I didn't realize Ennio Morricone did the music until I saw his name in the opening credits, he (as always) did a fantastic job. There were many very tense scenes (my favorite of which being the one shown above) and there were a few good scares. The highlight of the film by far was the practical effects. Still look awesome to this day. Overall very fun, but the ending fell a bit flat for me. Defiantly better than ET.
The only other Carpenter I've seen is They Live which I wrote about here:
THEY LIVE
(1988, John Carpenter)

The greatest thing about They Live is by far its amazing concept. All of the advertisements, propaganda, and images that surround are daily lives make a lot more sense if they were there because aliens from another planet are using them to try and brainwash us.

The movie follows George Nada as he slowly discovers that everything around him is not as it seems after he discovers sunglasses that show him what the world really is. Because of this fantastic concept, the movie is able to have tension and action throughout the entire film. The main character is played by the late Roddy Piper, and he does a surprisingly good job for a pro-wrestler, and he delivers probably the greatest action one-liner of all time. He is able to give a good blend of badassness and reliability to the character. Most of my enjoyment from the film came from its cheesiness. There is a hilarious wrestle-like fist fight that occurs between to characters, and it is hilarious and entertaining throughout.

This is simply one of those movies like Guardians of the Galaxy or Mad Max: Fury Road that you can't dislike because it's just so fun. This is actually the first John Carpenter movie I have ever seen, and it defiantly makes me want to check out his other movies even more. If there was anything bad I would say about the movie it would be that some of the character motives didn't really make sense, and some actions were confusing at times.

Anyone who likes sic-fi or action will enjoy this movie, and have a great time watching it. I would defiantly recommend it to anybody and everybody.

Those are the only Carpenter's I've seen. I've been meaning to catch up for a while now.

Madness is the emergency exit…
Undoubtedly one of the great Horror Maestros. My favorite Carpenter movies are...
1) The Thing
2) Halloween
3) In the Mouth of Madness
4) Big Trouble In Little China
5) Cigarette Burns (Masters of Horror episode)
6) The Live

Need to re-watch Escape films & few others, as it's been many years since I last saw them.

Welcome to the human race...
One of my favourite directors, or at least the first that comes to mind when I process the phrase "favourite director". A quick run-down of how I feel about his films, though a good chunk of them are ones I haven't seen in a long time...

Dark Star - I do like me a fun little space comedy from time to time, and this is a fairly decent one. B

Assault on Precinct 13 - pretty straightforward siege movie from what I recall but that's not a bad thing. Need to re-watch. C+

Halloween - not my favourite slasher (TCSM represent) but it's got plenty of charm and I will bust it out for the night in question from time to time. B+

The Fog - another one that needs re-watching, but I remember it being a fairly satisfying little horror. C+

Escape From New York - take a guess. A+

The Thing - objectively speaking, this is the man's best film and not without good reason. A+

Christine - decent enough for one watch, but it feels kind of disposable. C

Starman - could've been a mawkish mess for a very unsuitable director, but it manages to work. B

Big Trouble in Little China - goofy as hell, but still some very good fun. A-

Prince of Darkness - the weakest part of the Apocalypse Trilogy, but that doesn't make it too bad. C+

They Live - fun as hell. A-

Memoirs of an Invisible Man - some decent players and effects in the mix but otherwise such a dull work. D+

In the Mouth of Madness - quite possibly the man's most underrated film. B

Village of the Damned - a very dry excuse for a horror remake with little in the way of redeeming factors. D+

Escape From L.A. - sorry, Holden, I know it's silly but at least I can have some fun with it. B

Vampires - definitely due for a re-watch, but I don't have fond memories of what should have been a fun little movie. C-

Ghosts of Mars - rips off practically every movie he's ever made but this results in a muddled mess rather than a grand-standing pastiche. D+

The Ward - an awfully personality-free excuse for a psychological horror that'll make one wonder why he bothered. D+

Prince of Darkness - the weakest part of the Apocalypse Trilogy, but that doesn't make it too bad. C+
Apocalypse Trilogy? What other films are in this trilogy? Ive never heard about this.

Welcome to the human race...
Apocalypse Trilogy? What other films are in this trilogy? Ive never heard about this.
The Apocalypse Trilogy are three Carpenter films that are all loosely tied together because they deal with the end of the world to some extent. The first film in the trilogy is The Thing (where the Thing is theorised to completely take over the world if it ever gets out of Antarctica), followed by Prince of Darkness (which is about trying to stop the Anti-Christ from taking over the world) and finally In the Mouth of Madness (about Lovecraftian creatures who plan to break into our reality and take over).

I used to really like Carpenter a lot up until about the time of They Live. Once that movie hit, I was thinking "Well, that's it then. Good run". They Live definitely had elements that made it a potentially great film but, even at age 11 I could spot the dullness to it. It didn't utilize the B movie feel like Escape from New York did. It had zero atmosphere. The only good things about it were the premise and the casting. Carpenter had usually given his actors good stuff to chew on. Good dialog, natural actors were cast. JC kind of took a tv star approach to his casting and for every supporting role in They Live, it just felt like it sunk the ship. It was his most ambitious but most misdirected opportunity at a film. I've tried In the Mouth of Madness 3 times and each time I walk away with the same feeling: boring. Sam Neill just isn't that engaging as an actor. On any level.

I forgive and actually enjoy Vampires because Woods is great as usual and Baldwin is a laugh riot. It was staged poorly and was too sluggish for the action sequences, which made it kind of odd, and that showed Carpenter's aging sensibility as to what a modern action kind of requires (competent action editing). I've liked slowly staged action scenes in the past, just not so much here. Still a decent enough time waster. Certainly better than Ghost of Mars.

Prince of Darkness I just liked the mood of it. Definitely a tv movie of the week casting job once again but it worked for me, mostly due to Cundey's tight photography and Carpenter's brooding score. Some of the effect shots were great and genuinely creepy like the voice gargling bug man and the insert shot of the hand dagger stabbing down. Has a twice repeated "Ca-Ca" after thought that should be given it's own holiday as best random movie line ever.

I think his best work is Escape from New York, The Thing and Assault on Precinct 13. Assault had the power of good actors on its side. It was just as much fun hanging out with pre Tarantino-esque caliber 70's actors who delivered believability, as it was watching zombie-like street hoods try and infiltrate a blackout moment of a soon to be abandoned police station in the middle of the night. Heavy, heavy atmosphere and grisly scenes of unexpected violence. I really enjoyed this film. Dated but still a strong thriller.

Christine is a classic. It's not his very best work because it doesn't quite appeal in all facets. Cunningham's character is very screwy and funny. Buddy Repperton is also a real hoot. JC's score is again very freaked out, especially when he does his bell dive synth cue as a pair of headlights suddenly beam on in the dark as a fat bully awaits his final jog. I think the ending is what made this movie miss the mark of being a classic. It all felt very routine and underwhelming. Everything leading up to it, though-was great. Serious character arc for a talented actor/director Keith Gordon.

The Fog at least had some atmosphere and allowed the badassery of Tom Atkins to take Jamie Lee Curtis to bed.

Halloween was pioneering but not a favorite of mine. It's rather dull and only scary or exciting the first few times. Doesn't hold up for me, though I appreciate it's status and game changing reputation.

Starman was another marginal film that showcased Carpenter's knack for drama. Good casting and performances but not a very memorable movie to me. I was actually more curious about his Memoirs of an Invisible Man, which turned out to be very interesting as a commercial misfire that had some great effects as well as Chevy Chase moments.

Big Trouble in Little China was tons of fun and never gets very old for me. It's Carpenter's most feel good movie and deserves it's cult status. "Huh? Where'd you get that?"

The Thing is just incredible, and not for the effects (which are intense and innovative). The mood of that movie. Ennio Morricone basically takes cue from Carpenter's usual score and actually does less. Great pacing. Nice and slow..anticipatory..shocking and what an ending! Superb film!

Escape From New York is fun but still offers heavy mood and a nice collab with Alan Howarth on some of the more percussive elements of the soundtrack, like the wood block cue as the gang first spies on The Duke out on the streets after meeting up with Brain. Love this movie. The gliding plane scene is one of pure poetry. Such good matte work. We can thank James Cameron for some of that. He helped flesh that all out before he was a working director. Love the ending of this film, as well.

The Ward is pure garbage. Basically The Ward is John Carpenter going back to work so he can hang out with some young chicks. I'm sure he loved punching in every morning but his soul is nowhere near this film. This might have just as well been directed by Rob Zombie or some other wanna be mooch of lesser talent and maybe it would've even been better if it had been. What a crap way to end a career.

Escape from L.A. I did not like at all the first time I saw it. Once I accepted that it was a very loose, jazzy piece of ***** film that JC was just having fun with, I relaxed a bit and kind of enjoyed it. It's still damn shame standing next to the original, but at least as a standalone film it kind of harkens back to Big Trouble in Little China with a slightly meaner sense of mischief.

Dark Star has always felt too dated and dull for me to truly be able to kick back and enjoy it. Maybe one day...when I'm fiddy.

I tried to watch They Live last month and couldn't get through it. All i've ever heard is how fun that movie is and yeah i'm with you it was really boring, gave up after 40 minutes and barely remember what happened.

Watched Prince of Darkness a few weeks ago. Everything in the first half of that is terrible and dull then the horror is goofy fun. Mixed bag for me overall because of that first half.

Prince of Darkness is definitely dull...and near the end, the Dennis Dun character, he comes off way too Billy Crystal when he's trapped in the closet. I thought that was a major tonal blunder to allow that into the film. But yeah..it is a mixed bag. I enjoy it but I can totally see how some others would think it's a snooze fest.

I collect him on vinyl, instantly disqualifying myself from this discussion.
His Lost Themes are OK. Kind of too proggy but considering I've actually downloaded mid 80's Tangerine Dream albums out of curiosity and nostalgia, it could be a lot worse.

I collect him on vinyl, instantly disqualifying myself from this discussion.
His Lost Themes are OK. Kind of too proggy but considering I've actually downloaded mid 80's Tangerine Dream albums out of curiosity and nostalgia, it could be a lot worse.
I got both vinyls last year as a present. I also kinda love prog, so...

I got both vinyls last year as a present. I also kinda love prog, so...
I guess I still have room for prog, myself. Back in high school I used to wear silk shirts tucked into tight black jeans with a goody brush in my back pocket. Long, flowing feathered hair. Fates Warning - Parallels had just come out. Dream Theater was like the most incredible thing in the world - When Dream and Day Unite and Images and Words...Queensryche - Rage for Order - so ahead of its time! Yeah..fine, I'm a closet progger.

This forum's obsession with The Thing makes me hate it.
Why? The Thing is a great movie. I'm actually glad a lot of people like something awesome instead of liking something that sucks. Have you seen it?

This forum's obsession with The Thing makes me hate it.
Why? The Thing is a great movie. I'm actually glad a lot of people like something awesome instead of liking something that sucks. Have you seen it?
Yes, but, at the time, it didn't impress me greatly. Liked it, but haven't wanted to see it again. It's very overrated on this forum. People go gaga for it for some reason.

Yes, but, at the time, it didn't impress me greatly. Liked it, but haven't wanted to see it again. It's very overrated on this forum. People go gaga for it for some reason.
Hmm. Not sure it's just this forum. That movie has had the ***** accoladed out of it all over the world. I personally love it. I have a genuine connection to it and connect with it so I don;t know anyone else's reason for liking it. I know it has some nerd appeal because of Rob Bottin since he's crossed over into other lesser movies.