Seven Samurai

Tools    

A person is smart. People are dumb
I recenntly read that the screenwriter of The Forbidden Kingdom was hoping to begin working on a remake of the Kurosawa classic, The Seven Samurai. Could anyone confirm this, or is it just a rumour?

Dear God let's hope not. This can't be allowed.

Welcome to the human race...
For the sake of the art of filmmaking, I sincerely hope it's a rumour.

A system of cells interlinked
I can't. I will claim today as the first day I will officially start never watching this film. Remaking Kurosawa? I seem to remember some asshat attempting to remake a Hitchcock film, and totally destroying it.

No thanks.

I can't. I will claim today as the first day I will officially start never watching this film. Remaking Kurosawa? I seem to remember some asshat attempting to remake a Hitchcock film, and totally destroying it.

No thanks.
In regards to "remaking Kurosawa", I instantly thought of this...

...then I remembered something about exceptions and rules. Oh, well.

I get what you're saying Pyro, but The Magnificent Seven is quite a bit different than The Seven Samurai wouldn't you agree? I get that they stole a good portion of the story from Seven Samurai but it is not a remake of Seven Samurai. I think anyway.

EDIT: And before everybody gets all up in arms, I realize that it is called a remake, I just believe Sturges made it his own is all.

Yeah, I think you guys are missing what was implied in that initial post: not a reworking of The Seven Samurai like The Magnificent Seven, but a remake, as in set in Feudal Japan but probably looking to cast Hong Kong superstars like Jet Li, Chow Yun-Fat and Jackie Chan.

To answer the original post, no, I haven't heard of such a thing.

Now I did hear that there's another modernized reworking on the way, financed by the Weinsteins who were involved with The Forbidden Kingdom, which is going to update the durable Seven Samurai central idea with ex-Blackwater type international mercenaries in a Thailand or Myanmar setting. But while it's an idea that is out there I don't think they have a finished script yet or are in pre-production. Not yet, anyway. But it looks like it'll be another reworking, not a remake.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Yeah, I think you guys are missing what was implied in that initial post: not a reworking of The Seven Samurai like The Magnificent Seven, but a remake, as in set in Feudal Japan but probably looking to cast Hong Kong superstars like Jet Li, Chow Yun-Fat and Jackie Chan.
You forgot the token white/black/non-Asian guy.

A system of cells interlinked
Oh, I got it. Hence my comments. There are plenty of Kurosawa re-workings out there, which range from really good to terrible (Last Man Standing, anyone?), but I took this to be a direct remake which would use the title Seven Samurai.

I won't see it.

Somebody already posted this thread, then again this works fine. But what I really want to let out is that it came with an article that talked about the remake. Check it out:
http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=15521

Yeah, i get the difference between 'reworking' and 'remaking' and wouldn't exactly put Magnificent Seven into the remake canon but since this 'remake' is only a rumour, thought keep an open mind as it might not be a complete rehash of the original.