Brewster McCloud (1970)
15.38%
8 votes
MASH (1970)
17.31%
9 votes
Other tell me which one please
52 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The Long Goodbye is my favorite with Nashville a close second.

My least is the only one of his I have not enjoyed to this point, The Player. It needs a rewatch though, probably fifteen years or more since I have watched it.

I have a lot of Altman to watch still. In addition to the three above I have only seen:

Short Cuts, Mash, 3 Women, Thieves Like Us, Gosford Park, Dr.T.

My favorite is Nashville and my least favorite is Brewster McCloud. I hope you'll give The Player another shot and I highly recommend Short Cuts and Gosford Park.

A system of cells interlinked
Short Cuts is my favorite by far, and a total masterpiece in my mind. I also adore Cookie's Fortune, and have seen it the most out of all his stuff. I really like The Long Goodbye, The Player, McCabe and Mrs. Miller, and Gosford Park, as well. Least favorite...I can't think of anything I disliked by Altman, really. I haven't seen a fair portion of his work though, so that may change.

I still seem to be the only person on this forum who truly thinks The Player is a work of pure genius. The film is definitely respected around here (and rightfully so), but I don't know anyone who holds it in such a high regard as I do. So yeah, that's still my favorite Altman film, despite the fact that I love plenty of his other films.

My favorite and least favorite by default is The Long Goodbye. It's the only one I've seen.

I loved it and intended to get around to watching more before the 70s deadline, it just didn't happen.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
My favorite movie period is Nashville, and a top 20 is McCabe and Mrs. Miller... That movie could have easily been twice it's length. One line is so encompassing, but I agree that some of his films are bad.

Quintet was horrible. It's funny because in the same year Paul Newman worked with 2 great directors who did their worst movie, also with Huston's "Mackintosh Man"

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I've watched a few and didn't want to make an entirely new post.... I also read a lot of the comments before and will try to reply to some.

Does anyone know the homage Nashville gives to "Last Tango in Paris?" I have the DVD of Last Tango, just can't find it.

Since this last post, I saw "Three Women" which I liked, how the personalities are traded off.. Altman loves behavior and misunderstanding..

California Split was ok.. A friend told me he loved "Short Cuts" - I thought he was trying to get back to the style of Nashville with the different lives and situations coming together, but I thought there was too little from each episode, almost like a soap opera trailer, or multiple ones.

The more I see McCabe, the better it is, and Nashville as well, which is probably my favorite of all-time. MASH is pretty good. I notice from that movie he likes having a narrator, whether it's on the loudspeaker, or if it's Hal Phillip Walker. I have got quite a lot of films, but it's hard for me to decide to watch a movie among many, so I constantly look for more persuasion.

PT Anderson is obvious with his love for Altman. He uses all the same characters, and to me "Magnolia" is an updated form of "Nashville" - not only with the characters, but how each life affects the other, but I think "Magnolia" is a great picture, and PT Anderson is the only director whose movies I would actually see in the theater. Anderson was also the Assistant Director on "A Prairie Home Companion" in case Altman died.

I forgot to mention I liked The Player, and he took about 90% of the characters and put them into "Short Cuts" - even Lyle Lovette plays the somewhat innocent but guilty looking character in both films. With "Short Cuts" there was no Hollywood theme, and instead was a longer version with different lives and such. It just felt unfinished, and it was 3 hours long!

I didn't like Gosford Park at all. I don't care if it looks pretty or grainy, I need great dialogue. I also never really cared for "Whodunnit" type of films (maybe except for The Usual Suspects, which isn't really that anyway until the end).

A Prairie Home Companion isn't great, but it's a good last picture, it's sentimental, an end to the show, and an end to Altman's career.

I agree with just about everything you said about Short Cuts, especially regarding Tim Robbins, I think his performance is one of the best things about the film and I would place it in his top 5 performances.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I guess I'm in the minority here because I'm not a big fan of Altman's movies, but the ones that I liked were The Long Goodbye (1973) and California Split (1974), but even those aren't very high up on my favorite movies list.