Top 10 lists from 2001 to 1965

Tools    

I didn't say Home alone wasn't good I enjoyed it but I don't think it belongs in my top list for 1990 oh yeah just look were I put Sex,Lies and videotape HA ! HA !

I'd put all these movies before Home Alone that came out of the year 1990 plus the ones listed above.

Tremors,Akira Kurosawa's Dreams,Miami Blues,I Love You to Death,Awakenings,Bonfire of the Vanities,Coupe De ville,Cry Baby,Darkman,Die hard II,Everybody Wins,Joe vs the Valcano,Mo' better Blues,Presumed Innocent,rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Home Alone was great, it was the sequels without purpose that brought down the franchise.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by L .B . Jeffries
I'd put all these movies before Home Alone that came out of the year 1990 plus the ones listed above.

Tremors,Akira Kurosawa's Dreams,Miami Blues,I Love You to Death,Awakenings,Bonfire of the Vanities,Coupe De ville,Cry Baby,Darkman,Die hard II,Everybody Wins,Joe vs the Valcano,Mo' better Blues,Presumed Innocent,rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead.
What?! Mo' Better Blues?! Cry Baby?! Those movie suck...suck...BIG...things!!

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I have to agree with Sadie on that one. Some of those were just bad. Tremors, Die Hard 2...those are the ones I've seen, but the other's, I've only heard bad things about.

Now With Moveable Parts
my top ten for '98
My favorite year for movies BTW

1. Shakespere in Love
2. Elizabeth
3. American History X
4. Pleasentville
5. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
6. Truman Show
7. Out of Sight
8. There's Something About Mary
9. A Bug's Life
10. Saving Private Ryan

my top ten for '00

1. Memento
2. Almost Famous
3. Billy Elliot
4. Wonder Boys
5. Traffic
6. Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?
7. High Fidelity
8. Requiem for a dream
9. Best in Show
10. Chocolat

I don't know about everybody else, but I use the Academy elligibility as a guideline for what year a movie belongs in. By that criteria for example, Memento is a 2001 film (even though it opened in Great Britain & Europe at the end of 2000) and Snatch a 2000 release (even though it didn't open wide in The States until January of 2001).

I know it doesn't really matter. Just throwing it out there.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally posted by sadesdrk
What?! Mo' Better Blues?! Cry Baby?! Those movie suck...suck...BIG...things!!
What didn't you like about Mo'better Blues it's my favorite Spike Lee film each frame is like a painting the cinematography is a masterful stroke of brillance I don't get why people put that movie down so much and Cry Baby was a lot of fun and Johnny Depp is one of the finest actors around these days and I think he did a great job I'm not a big fan of John Waters but I like Serial Mom,Pecker and Cry Baby oh well

What about Pi and Dark City for yor 1998 list??

you didn't take them over There's something about mary I own all three on DVD but I don't think Mary is a good as those 2 films especially Pi.

Now With Moveable Parts
See, favorite, to me...means that I could stand to watch it a few times. At least more than once. All the movies I list, I've watched a couple off times. I can watch ....About Mary, over and over again, and still enjoy it.
I liked Pi, but one viewing is enough for me. I wouldn'r buy, because it was a weird little film, that did a good job at being a weird little film...and that's all.

Serial Mom?! wrong thread pal...that's one for the Secret Movie thread.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Holden Pike
I don't know about everybody else, but I use the Academy elligibility as a guideline for what year a movie belongs in. By that criteria for example, Memento is a 2001 film (even though it opened in Great Britain & Europe at the end of 2000) and Snatch a 2000 release (even though it didn't open wide in The States until January of 2001).

I know it doesn't really matter. Just throwing it out there.
It came out in 2000. It qualifies. The academy has nothing to do with MY picks, technical or otherwise. I pick what I thought should be there.

I just watched Wonder Boys and I love it that's at the top of my 2000 list and if we're going with what Holden said then Memento is at the top so far for 2001 so my new lists for 2000 and 2001 are:

1.Wonder Boys
2.Snatch
3.American Psycho
4.Requiem for a Dream
5.State and Main
6.Billy Elliot
7.The Contender
8.small time crooks
9.unbreakable
10.trixie

So far for 2001
1.Memento
2.Ocean's 11
3.the score
4.Heist
5.Blow
________
WASHINGTON MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES

Like I said, that's what I do, you guys are free to do whatever you want.

It's my U.S.-centric technical point-of-view, but nobody in America had any chance to see Memento before the end of Januray 2001 at The Sundance Film Festival - unless they saw it in Europe. It opened in limited NY/L.A. release at the begining of April 2001, then slowly around the country. If Memento garners any Oscar nominations it will be for this year's films, at the ceremonies held in March 2002. But if anyone wants to take the IMDb label and call it "2000" because that's when it premiered in London, more power to you.

Now With Moveable Parts
The year 2001 pretty much sucked for movies. I wasn't really happy about it. By Holden's standards, I'd pick Memento first, then the list goes like this:

1. Memento
2. I'm reserving a spot for LOTR
3. I'm reserving a spot for Vanilla Sky
4. I'm reserving a spot for Ocean's Eleven
5. The Others
6. Blow
7. Moulin Rouge
8. Bridget Jones's Diary
9. Joy Ride
10. Shrek

The Sultan's top ten of 2001:

Keep in mind this is by date of relese in my hometown of Grand Rapids, Michigan.

10. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
9. Planet of the Apes
8. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
7. Pootie tang
6. Oh, Brothe Where Art Thou?
5. Shadow of the vampire
4. The Man Who Wasn't There
3. Hedwig and the Angry Inch
2. Rush Hour 2
1. Amelie

I liked this year for movies. At least from the standpoint that after 2000 I was convinced no good movies were ever going to get made again. Here's to Crouching Tiger, the only good film of 2000. *Cheers*

If you dug "O Brother, Where Art Thou?," then you liked two films in 2000. I loved that movie, too, BTW...I think 2001 is a better year for movies than 2000, but honestly, I don't see why everyone thinks last year was so horrible. I had fun.

Now With Moveable Parts
This year was pretty uneventful until the end.IMO.

Yeah, now that I think about it, I saw that clearly in calednar year 2000. I was getting those off of a list of film releases from 2001, but it was not accurate, I see now. In retrospect, they never even listed Memento, which would not have made my list anyway. Actually, if I pulled off Brother, then Memento probably would have come in at ten. I've yet to see the Royal Tenenbaums, though.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by SultanBigPants
The Sultan's top ten of 2001:

10. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
9. Planet of the Apes
7. Pootie tang

5. Shadow of the vampire
3. Hedwig and the Angry Inch

Yeah well here's five reasons Memento didn't make your list.

I can fully understand someone not putting Memento on their list. I personally think it's a good movie, a lot of fun, if a bit flawed, but I can see how someone wouldn't like it. I completely understand where the Sultan is coming from - and Hedwig was a bitchin movie!

Btw, Shadow of the Vampire was a 2000 movie.

Now With Moveable Parts
Yeah, well he was saying he didn't have room for it, and I was showing him where he could replace one with Memento.