The Movie Critic: Tarantino's next (last?) film about Pauline Kael?

Tools    

Quentin Tarantino’s Final Film Is Coming as Filmmaker Readies ‘The Movie Critic’:

Quentin Tarantino is back for the last time.

The filmmaker behind some of the most indelible movies of the last three decades, Pulp Fiction and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood among them, is putting together what sources say is being billed as his final movie.

The Movie Critic is the name of the script that Tarantino wrote and is prepping to direct this fall, according to sources.

It is possible the story focuses on Pauline Kael, one of the most influential movie critics of all time. Kael, who died in 2001, was not just a critic but also an essayist and novelist. She was known for her pugnacious fights with editors as well as filmmakers. In the late 1970s, Kael had a very brief tenure working as a consultant for Paramount, a position she accepted at the behest of actor Warren Beatty. The timing of that Paramount job seems to coincide with the setting of the script — and the filmmaker is known to have a deep respect for Kael, making the odds of her being the subject of the film more likely.

He's been saying for a long time that he would stop at 10 films. But then, sometimes he does something and it doesn't count, and it's reasonable to wonder if he means it, or if he'll be able to stop even if he does mean it.

Tarantino's Annual Going Out of Business Sale!

Everything must go. These prices won't last. Our loss is your gain. Your last chance to see Tarantino at his craft.

Weren't his last three films announced as "his final film"?
I don't think so. I think the line all along has been 10 films, albeit with a couple of asterisks (not counting his first amateur film, counting Kill Bill as one).

Welcome to the human race...
Always in the bag for more QT since you never quite know what you're going to get with him. I'm kind of expecting this to turn out to be pro-critic (or something that demonstrates more nuance in regards to the profession that something like Birdman), but again, it's more fun to see just what he comes up with (and if it really is going to be his final film, to see just how much he'll pull out all the stops).

The truth is in here
Quentin Tarantino: Oh, I'm actually making a documentary so it's not really, really the 10th movie. But the next one is, I promise!

Quentin Tarantino: Oh, I'm actually making a documentary so it's not really, really the 10th movie. But the next one is, I promise!
Yeah, the guy is a top director, but a bit of a kook. I think he's just building up publicity. The man is only 59 years old. What's he gonna do, play golf?..

Write books and talk, probably. He did a (legit) novelization of Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood and he started a podcast awhile back. Both of those things made me think the retirement talk is actually plausible, since they show some of the ways he might busy himself.

He's been saying for a long time that he would stop at 10 films. But then, sometimes he does something and it doesn't count, and it's reasonable to wonder if he means it, or if he'll be able to stop even if he does mean it.
what about directing and producing

If he actually keeps his promise, he’ll still be able to do tv shows, mini-series and the likes… so it’s all good.

I can’t say that title is making me excited. I’m kind of nervous about that. Seems like it could go wrong if it’s too pandering about something with movie critics and stuff but who knows.

Obviously I’m still very much excited and looking forward to it

The truth is in here
I kinda realized something now. His films are getting progressively smaller in scale. Django Unchained was an epic revenge western/blaxploitation homage. Then The Hateful Eight was another western but more intimate and character-based. Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood was just about two guys hanging out and occasionally going off on their own adventures, with only small spurts of violence here and there until he finally goes all-out crazy in the finale. And now his presumably last film is about the life of a film critic. What could be the reasoning behind Tarantino gradually trimming the scope of his stories? Is he just getting nostalgic for simpler filmmaking or am I reading too much into it?

what about directing and producing
Directing is the thing he was talking about stopping.

Producing, who knows, but I'd say that's plausible, yeah, since he's done some of that already.

Directing is the thing he was talking about stopping.

Producing, who knows, but I'd say that's plausible, yeah, since he's done some of that already.
oh what about acting cause i know he did alot of acting in the past *

Yeah, the guy is a top director, but a bit of a kook. I think he's just building up publicity. The man is only 59 years old. What's he gonna do, play golf?..
indulge in his foot fetish probably

The trick is not minding
Which historical figure do you think Pauline Kael will graphically kill in the final act?
David Lean after watching his Ryan’s Daughter

*this references an old legend regarding the effect here, and other critics, reviews of said film.

Which historical figure do you think Pauline Kael will graphically kill in the final act?
You beat me to it... I was working on multiple scenarios to suggest, where some major (and violent, of course) event from real history would intersect with the life of the person in question, but have an alternate outcome (amidst tons of blood, violence & gore)!