A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

The Outwaters

https://boxd.it/3SuC5j

I'm sure many on here will hate it (as they did Skinamarink) but I really wanna hear what Crummy has to say about it.

3/5

Pet Peeve, 2013 (B)

Live action film of a horror anthology manga called Fuan No Tane, from the author of the much easier to track PTSD radio.

It's not that faithful to the entire manga, as they are really just a group of stories mostly 5 pages and under, but that's not biggie. There's connection between the stories here, which is not there at all in the manga, because the manga is just stories that were sent to the author.

Very desaturated, as was the style at the time. Unfortunately, not nearly as good as the comic, and not that good without comparison either. There are a few standalone stories from the manga, and the latter part is a bunch of those standalone stories, but connected by these two character, and a sticker of what I believe is an image from PTSD radio. The stories don't build up dread very well and are goofy at best.

I recommend the manga, but the movie is passable.

Finally got around to seeing The Menu, another delicious black comedy with a great set up and wonderful building of tension. It's maybe a bit on the nose with some of the social commentary but it just had me grimacing and grinning so frequently that I can easily forgive such minor transgressions.

Has anyone heard anything new about Richard Stanley's The Dunwich Horror project?

In case you didn't know, SpectreVision, the company that produced Color Out of Space, dropped him in 2021 after being charged with abuse allegations. He was acquitted of those charges last summer. That's the last news I've heard.

So is the entire run time of this going to be this guy complaining that this movie is just a bunch of shots of ceilings and doors? Even though it is clearly more than this, unless one overlooks all of the other cinematic techniques that are being used in tandem with its images. You know, like sound design, shot composition, manipulation of how the audience experiences time, allusions to greater narrative and thematic elements. You know, the things that make a film be a film.

Does he just keep saying he doesn't understand the praise? Even when he could fairly easily find write ups online which would explain exactly what fans of the film like about this.

Is he going to keep claiming he completely understands the film, even though he seems to be using movies like Hereditary and Midsommar as reference points that he is up to the task. Movies that clearly bare zero relationship to Skinamarinks intentions. That there is absolutely no reason even to mention beyond the superficial link of being from A24

Does he at any point make it known that he has any basic understanding of experimental film? Maybe an experience with something like Wavelength or Dog Star Man? The sort of film experiences that can prime one for what Ball is trying to do here?

Does he at any point even mention what he thinks the aim of this film is? Why it removes standard narrative elements, and is composed with so many lingering shots? How these might not be instructive in understanding plot, but are essential in order to lull the viewer into the same elongated experience of a child awake in the middle of the night. How this experience with time is exactly a part of the films appeal.

Does he pay any mind to how incredibly well composed each of those 'pointless' shots are. Their use of line and shadow making each a small masterpiece of minimalist design. Their use of negative space helping create a world where we are meant to always be looking, deeper and deeper into corners. You know, like a child might in the middle of the night.

Or is this epic rant just him repeating what virtually every other person who doesn't like the film says. Like, verbatim. Does he have an interesting angle on his complaints of not getting it, and not understanding how anyone else dare to like it? Does he say anything at all I can't already imagine him saying before I click on the link? Just asking, because the first five minutes are kind of frustratingly repetitive.

It's obviously not a movie for everyone. Never will be. And that's okay. I don't blame this guy for not liking it, and maybe he has great takes on things he actually has some knowledge about.

But there is something numbing and so anti curious about the idea of ranting against a film that is this different, especially if he doesn't pay any notice of what it might be doing right, at least in relation to what it is hoping to accomplish. It's also annoying when he seems to be irritated at the notion of it being called revolutionary, even when it clearly kind of is, whether he enjoys it or not. Not that I think there will be that many copycats of this particular style. People's patience for this kind of thing is going to be slim. It's much too austere. Much too single-minded in the kind of audience member it is trying to reach. But it's still very much revolutionary in how it is a completely uncompromising film, in multiplexes, which is ultimately exposing an unexpected audience to a cinematic experience usually relegated to art houses and galleries. The kind of thing most general audience members would dismiss out of hand as being pretentious twaddle. And what is encouraging is some people, even those who might not normally like this kind of thing, or even have any general understanding of experimental films at all, are finding something affecting here. Which is important. Any film that shakes up the way we normally experience a film matters. Even if it makes a lot of people cry about wanting their money back.

They Came From Beyond Space (C+)

Classic alien possession plot. Not much energy. Not much reason not to skip.

Alien Covenant, 2017 (F)

I guess the new monster in the franchise is stupidity. I could somewhat excuse it in Prometheus, because that one at least had good atmosphere and memorable scenes, but Covenant is just... bad. It insists upon itself in a very annoying way, the opening scene being particularly heavy-handed. I guess if you want everything ever in every story explained at all cost, you might find value here, but bleargh.

Has anyone heard anything new about Richard Stanley's The Dunwich Horror project?

In case you didn't know, SpectreVision, the company that produced Color Out of Space, dropped him in 2021 after being charged with abuse allegations. He was acquitted of those charges last summer. That's the last news I've heard.
I have not. I was disappointed with his take on Colour, so I'm not sad if someone else is taking over.

I have not. I was disappointed with his take on Colour, so I'm not sad if someone else is taking over.
I don't remember much about it and I don't think it's the movie's fault. I don't think I was very lucid when I saw it, so I should see it again. There's another adaptation from 2010 and one called The Curse (with Wil Wheaton!) from 1987, but they both have mixed reviews.

It seems like Stuart Gordon (R.I.P.) is the only director so far to get Lovecraft right on screen.

I don't remember much about it and I don't think it's the movie's fault. I don't think I was very lucid when I saw it, so I should see it again. There's another adaptation from 2010 and one called The Curse (with Wil Wheaton!) from 1987, but they both have mixed reviews.

It seems like Stuart Gordon (R.I.P.) is the only director so far to get Lovecraft right on screen.
My main complaint involves elements of the story that were disregarded for the film, so I have to remind myself that that's more my problem than the film's.

Cage ruining everything he's in IS the movie's fault, however.

Baskin (2015) -

If this Turkish horror movie doesn't scare you - and it probably will - it will at least screw with your mind. It follows a tightly knit police squad, i.e., one that eats at the same restaurant together and has their own song, as they respond to a call at a seemingly abandoned building in a town that's hardly a tourist attraction. They soon discover it's a place that makes even the typical level of Silent Hill seem tame. As luck would have it, more than one member of the squad also has personal demons to contend with.

This is one of those movies that will make you ask "what just happened" in more ways than one, perhaps mostly in the way that will make you wonder what's in your drink. Everything was paid off to my liking regardless, although I recommend keeping your eyes peeled. That the "good stuff" is of the "how were they even allowed to film that" variety helps, as does the fact that the road to Hell the squad takes leads to one unholy creation indeed. That would be cult leader Baba (Mehmet Cerrahoglu), whose appearance due to the actor’s unusual skin condition leaves an impression, but it’s his performance that truly makes it work. No one in the squad is a slouch either, especially Sabahattin Yakut, whose Seyfi...let's just say is more affected by what he sees during their trip than the rest of them. I wish I got to know everyone in the squad a little better, though, and the trip down the rabbit hole has a few too many fits and starts and not the good kind. It remains a horror movie deserving of credit for being so unusual and for being committed to leave you with plenty to think about as much as it is to frighten you. Oh, and hopefully not to spoil it too much (or to keep you away from it), but a short primer to Zoroastrianism is recommended.

Barbarian (2022) -

Like "The Cabin in the Woods" and "Triangle", this is the kind of film which is hard to discuss without spoiling, which is a type of horror I'm normally into, but I'm sorry to say that this film disappointed me quite a bit. I will grant that its first half hour was very well-done though. The airbnb premise initially seemed like a questionable choice for a setup, but I think the film utilized the awkward situation in the first half hour really well since Tess's and Keith's reactions to their situations were well-done. The sense of unease and distrust amongst them carried the first act for me. Once the ball started rolling though, the film failed to be scary and mostly devolved into some ridiculous behavior by certain characters and plenty of dull and uninspiring grotesque gags. While I'm normally not into grotesque horror, it can work in the right context (the final 10 minutes of "Rec" are a good example of this), but the grotesque horror in this film turned me off the more off the rails it went. I didn't hate the film as the first act contained enough potential to keep me on board with it and, in spite of what I said about the rest of the film, a certain flashback scene in the middle was particularly well-done, but overall, it just seemed like a waste of a good premise.

The trick is not minding
Baskin (2015) -

If this Turkish horror movie doesn't scare you - and it probably will - it will at least screw with your mind. It follows a tightly knit police squad, i.e., one that eats at the same restaurant together and has their own song, as they respond to a call at a seemingly abandoned building in a town that's hardly a tourist attraction. They soon discover it's a place that makes even the typical level of Silent Hill seem tame. As luck would have it, more than one member of the squad also has personal demons to contend with.

This is one of those movies that will make you ask "what just happened" in more ways than one, perhaps mostly in the way that will make you wonder what's in your drink. Everything was paid off to my liking regardless, although I recommend keeping your eyes peeled. That the "good stuff" is of the "how were they even allowed to film that" variety helps, as does the fact that the road to Hell the squad takes leads to one unholy creation indeed. That would be cult leader Baba (Mehmet Cerrahoglu), whose appearance due to the actor’s unusual skin condition leaves an impression, but it’s his performance that truly makes it work. No one in the squad is a slouch either, especially Sabahattin Yakut, whose Seyfi...let's just say is more affected by what he sees during their trip than the rest of them. I wish I got to know everyone in the squad a little better, though, and the trip down the rabbit hole has a few too many fits and starts and not the good kind. It remains a horror movie deserving of credit for being so unusual and for being committed to leave you with plenty to think about as much as it is to frighten you. Oh, and hopefully not to spoil it too much (or to keep you away from it), but a short primer to Zoroastrianism is recommended.
Baskin has been on my radar for years. Really looking forward to the day I watch this.

Barbarian (2022) -

Like "The Cabin in the Woods" and "Triangle", this is the kind of film which is hard to discuss without spoiling, which is a type of horror I'm normally into, but I'm sorry to say that this film disappointed me quite a bit. I will grant that its first half hour was very well-done though. The airbnb premise initially seemed like a questionable choice for a setup, but I think the film utilized the awkward situation in the first half hour really well since Tess's and Keith's reactions to their situations were well-done. The sense of unease and distrust amongst them carried the first act for me. Once the ball started rolling though, the film failed to be scary and mostly devolved into some ridiculous behavior by certain characters and plenty of dull and uninspiring grotesque gags. While I'm normally not into grotesque horror, it can work in the right context (the final 10 minutes of "Rec" are a good example of this), but the grotesque horror in this film turned me off the more off the rails it went. I didn't hate the film as the first act contained enough potential to keep me on board with it and, in spite of what I said about the rest of the film, a certain flashback scene in the middle was particularly well-done, but overall, it just seemed like a waste of a good premise.
Yup

Ouch, my heart hurts. Barbarian was my #2 of last year. Better find MKS's praise and defense of it to recover.
For what it's worth, I get being on board with the film. It just got way too grotesque and in-your-face with the horror to the point I found the film more ridiculous and dull than anything. On the other hand, the 1980s flashback in the middle showed that the film was capable of handling the grotesque elements with a compelling less is more approach, but those scenes were sadly too few.

Baskin has been on my radar for years. Really looking forward to the day I watch this.
Hope you enjoy it. You can rent it pretty much anywhere right now.
Oh, and Baskin means "raid" in Turkish in case you were wondering. It has nothing to do with ice cream.

Ouch, my heart hurts. Barbarian was my #2 of last year. Better find MKS's praise and defense of it to recover.
We can soothe our hearts in the warm embrace of superior taste and correctness.

For what it's worth, I get being on board with the film. It just got way too grotesque and in-your-face with the horror to the point I found the film more ridiculous and dull than anything. On the other hand, the 1980s flashback in the middle showed that the film was capable of handling the grotesque elements with a compelling less is more approach, but those scenes were sadly too few.
Makes sense. Grotesqueries like the ones in this movie aren't everyone's cup of tea. I guess a steady diet of everything from Ren & Stimpy to all of Sam Raimi's movies over the years have made me more tolerant of them, make me see them as more feature than bug, and for better or worse, make me laugh just as much as they shock me.