A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

The podcast, The Horror! (old time radio horror program rebroadcasts) this week had played the Mercury Theater's production of Dracula, with Orson Welles, for those that might be interested.

Gonna try to finish up Halloween tonight with a twin bill of The Munsters (family friendly viewing for potential trick or treaters) and Rabid (which fits categories in both the Letterboxd Horror and the 2022 list; win win!)

Although I miss Rumpled's games, doing without has helped in getting me to watch more horror films in the scary season.

Recs:
The Golem (1920)
The Pied Piper (1986)
Both available on YouTube

They Were Alright:
Vampires in Havana (1985)
Also available on YouTube

Not Into It:
The Monster (1925)
Guess what? On YouTube

Not Recommended:
Breach (2020)
Graduation Day (1981)
Firestarter (2022)
Firestarter/Breach available on Prime; Graduation Day is on YouTube

Also from the 2022 list, I'd recommend Block Island Sound (Netflix) and Hell House LLC (On Prime and elsewhere)

The Munsters was a near miss. Rob's love for the series shines through and the set design is well done.

But the comedy is a bit on the lumbering side just like Herman and it does feel like sections of it are missing.

I'll go with 2 out of 5 popcorns.

The Munsters was a near miss. Rob's love for the series shines through and the set design is well done.

But the comedy is a bit on the lumbering side just like Herman and it does feel like sections of it are missing.

Agreed.

I closed out my Halloween first watches with *checks notes* Trick Or Treats? The ‘82 slasher film about the babysitter with the little kid magician who keeps pranking her Halloween night? Oh my.

Noirvember is postponed. Sorry David Gordon Green, but Halloween doesn’t end tonight!

Agreed. I gave it half a star higher just because I liked seeing Richard Brake cut loose in multiple roles and have a blast. Plus, Elvira.

I closed out my Halloween first watches with *checks notes* Trick Or Treats? The ‘82 slasher film about the babysitter with the little kid magician who keeps pranking her Halloween night? Oh my.
That's the one directed by Gary Graver? I didn't hate it as much as many in my Letterboxd circle seemed to, but still, not good, and Graver's kid is annoying as ****. Now, if you want a good Gary Graver joint, you can turn to his work on The Other Side of the Wind, or his directorial efforts like Amanda By Night, 3 AM, V: The Hot One, Private Teacher...

Capped off Halloween night with rewatches of a longtime favourite, Halloween, and a more recently discovered favourite, The Black Cat. I now declare Spooky Season over.

Everything I watched, in case anyone's interested.

Happy Halloween boos and ghouls!

Wrapped up the spooky season with the 2021 horror comedy Werewolves Within, about a new forest ranger trying to determine who is a werewolf in a town full of wacky characters. This was cute. Sam Richardson is a cut above the rest in the comedy department while the rest of the cast dips into annoying every once in a while. But it looks good and there’s some fun set pieces. I had no idea it was based on a video game until it was mentioned in the end credits.

Can we stop watching Horror movies for the rest of the year now, then?

Do you wanna party? Its party time!
No. I'm currently working through a stack of Criterion horror flicks and then will probably go back to watching Shudder again. I watch horror movies all year round these days.

Latest Movie Viewing: Wings (1927)
Latest Album Listened To: Honky Château, Elton John (1972)
Latest TV Show Viewed: Doctor Who

That's the one directed by Gary Graver? I didn't hate it as much as many in my Letterboxd circle seemed to, but still, not good, and Graver's kid is annoying as ****. Now, if you want a good Gary Graver joint, you can turn to his work on The Other Side of the Wind, or his directorial efforts like Amanda By Night, 3 AM, V: The Hot One, Private Teacher...
That is the one. And I’m glad you recommended me his classier works, if titles are anything to judge by.

Can we stop watching Horror movies for the rest of the year now, then?
I’m petitioning to replace Christmas with Halloween 2 actually.

That is the one. And I’m glad you recommended me his classier works, if titles are anything to judge by.
Yup, a bunch of classy movies. For example, Private Teacher has Kay Parker (R.I.P.) espousing the power Shakespeare. The context in which this happens isn’t important. What’s important is that it’s Shakespeare and therefore classy.

Yup, a bunch of classy movies. For example, Private Teacher has Kay Parker (R.I.P.) espousing the power Shakespeare. The context in which this happens isn’t important. What’s important is that it’s Shakespeare and therefore classy.
Good ol’ Willy Shakes.

When discussing Spookies, how come none of you mentioned Duke's outfit?

Look, I made some questionable choices myself in 1986, but dude....

I want Duke to have his own spinoff Spookies movie.