Sphere a Barry Levinson film

→ in
Tools    

Sphere

I really enjoy this film, I just watch it again and I don't know why people don't like it .The special effects are not outragous they go great with the look of the movie. The title cards remind me of movies like The Shining & Fortune Cookie each tilte card represents a new chapter in the movie. Some of the dialogue is not so swift but some of it was intresting and kept me involved with the characters, what they were going threw and what kind of surroundings where around them.

Harry: Fellow the yellow brick road

I've always liked a good fun sci-fi to me this is what Sphere is having fun with a Genre that was refreshed in the mid 90's.

Terror can fill any space

The Soundtrack is beautifully composed by Elliot Goldenthal and after watching it I download it. it really over powers the movie in some scenes and I'd say it one of my favorite scores.

Considering that Barry Levinson directed it I think it could have been better. But it was his first step into the Genre and maybe if someone like Robert Wise could have done more with it I just don't know. I haven't read the book but everybody says it's nothing like the movie , so my question is has anyone read the book what did they think of it and if so should I check it out.

I've read the book and seen the movie I liked both. The movie was very well done I thought the only problem is most people that I've talked to that have seen it don't understand it and they don't understand what is going on and the metaphysical elements of it so they dismiss it. Michael Crichton I don't know if you know this knows a lot about physics and metaphysics and things like that and Eastern philosophy a lot of the scientific and metaphysical aspects were taken out from the movie Jurassic Park so it became a pure adventure story but that's not how it was written. I liked Sphere immediately when I saw it. Of course the book is infinitely better than the film and you should definitely check it out but I think a lot of people really didn't understand what was going on in the film especially at the end of it and so they say oh that was a stupid film. It wasn't. They just didn't understand it. It's a very complex and metaphysical type of film and if you miss that part of it and take it as a pure sci fi adventure story you're missing out on a lot. I haven't seen the film in awhile so to really discuss it more in depth I'd have to view it on my DVD again but I thought it was a very well done film and LB you should definitely check out the novelization.

Yes, AKA is right: Crichton's work (with some exceptions, naturally...after all, doesn't he have a book about time travel published?) serve as a sort of edutainment. His brand of science fiction aims to be technically feasible and correct whenever possible, it seems. I read some of the book, and I saw the movie. I didn't like the latter much. It felt a little rushed to me. I also wanted the "bear speech" to be included in there somehow, but I realize it might've taken away from the movie. Frankly, I dunno if the book is really the type that could be properly translated onto the screen.

I'm sort of surprised I didn't like it: it was well-cast and everything. Sam Jackson was the coolest throughout, IMO.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I loved Sphere. I thought it was a great movie. Not many people like it, but I don't really see anything wrong with it....then again I've read the book 3 times.....

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I have seen the movie, I pretty much understood it at the time. After hearing other people's complaints about it, I started doubting what I thought I understood and have since not watched it again to confirm my doubts.

I am thinking, however, that it might be time to pick it up again and watch it for a second time to maybe understand it better.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Well, I liked it. It was faithful to the book. My only problem with it is that it ends badly. The book ends badly, the movie ends badly. Crichton is infamous for building a great story and letting me down at the end. My opinion only...

I agree with you Toose, only never read the book. I tried reading a Crichton book once and got lost with all the big scientific mumbo-jumbo(I was in 7th grade).

After watching the movie again last night, I do agree that it ends badly. Sound in it is very sweet though. My body was shaking at times from that lovely low bass.

Well I made the mistake of reading Rising Sun in fifth grade. Very good book enjoyed it immensely but was far too young to have read that kind of material at the time.

Eh hem...Rising Sun is not the title of this thread dear boy.

Just givin ya crap.

I think it's funny how when we're young we read these books thinking of sometime entirely different, then get into them and realize maybe we shouldn't be reading it.

i loved sphere , maybe the ending was yes a bit anti-climactic with what the whole movie offered of suspense, but i enjoyed it a lot and i think the bad rating of the movie comes from the ending, i didn't find anything wrong with the movie other than that, acting and cast were superb, very good film i might say.