Movie Tab II

Tools    

The Divine Nymph (1975)

The Wild Bunch (1969)

Main Street (1956)

99 Homes (2014)

Trumbo (2015)
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Batman Begins - Probably the best Batman we've ever seen in a movie. Well acted, great storyline, and Liam Neeson brought a ton of credibility to the film. A far cry from the gaudy (but still fun) 1990's versions.

The Dark Knight - Heath Ledger is amazing in this. This is like the Godfather 2 of Batman movies. Arguably better than the original.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Lost Boundaries (Alfred L. Werker, 1949)
-
The Church (Michele Soavi, 1989)
+
No Way Out (Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1950)
+
Five Graves to Cairo (Billy Wilder, 1943)
+

Masquerading as a valet in an African hotel, British spy Franchot Tone gets involved with Field Marshall Erwin Rommel (Erich von Stroheim) and tries to determine where his fuel supply depots are hidden.
Buck Privates (Arthur Lubin, 1941)

The Square (Jehaine Noujaim, 2013)

Mame (Gene Saks, 1974)
+
Night of the Comet (Thom Eberhardt, 1984)

After a comet passes by and causes almost everyone in Los Angeles to turn into dust or a zombie, teenager Kelli Maroney takes some target practice.
Wrong (Quentin Dupieux, 2012)

How I Play Golf, by Bobby Jones No. 1: 'The Putter' (George E. Marshall, 1931)

The Thirteenth Chair (Tod Browning, 1929)

History of the Eagles (Alison Elwood, 2013)

Early Eagles lineup: Glenn Frey, Bernie Leadon, Don Henley, Randy Meisner & Don Felder.
Where East Is East (Tod Browning, 1929)
-
Freaks (Tod Browning, 1932)
-
Fast Workers (Tod Browning, 1933)

The Show (Tod Browning, 1927)
+

Budapest sideshow barker John Gilbert never misses a chance to check out a woman’s legs, even if she is the show’s human spider (Edna Tichenor), but this time she only has two instead of eight.
Goin' Fishin' (Edward Cahn, 1940)

Miracles for Sale (Tod Browning, 1939)
-
Kelly’s Heroes (Brian G. Hutton, 1970)

Mark of the Vampire (Tod Browning, 1935)

While a murder is being investigated, vampires Bela Lugosi & Carroll Borland wander around – a vampire bat just misses Bela’s head.

Vulgar Fractions (Peter Bo Rappmund, 2011)

The Ipcress File (Sidney J. Furie, 1965)
+
Arabesque (Stanley Donen, 1966)

Our Man Flint (Daniel Mann, 1966)
+

American agent Derek Flint (James Coburn) tries to defeat a trio of mad scientists, and one of their henchmen is agent Hans Gruber[!] (Michael St. Clair).
The Wedding Ringer (Jeremy Garelick, 2015)
-
Dressed to Kill (Roy William Neill, 1946)
+
China Moon (John Bailey, 1994)

The Prize (Mark Robson, 1963)
+

Novelist Paul Newman is in Stockholm to accept his Nobel Prize but finds romance, intrigue and murder surrounding scientist’s niece Diane Baker and Swedish “chaperone” Elke Sommer.
Dolls (Stuart Gordon, 1987)

Rails into Laramie (Jesse Hibbs, 1954)

A Brilliant Young Mind aka X+Y (Morgan Matthews, 2015)
+
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (Martin Ritt, 1965)
+

In East Berlin during the Cold War, Russian counter-espionage deputy Oskar Werner takes a special interest in former British spy Richard Burton.
Fay Grim (Hal Hartley, 2007)

Ned Rifle (Hal Hartley, 2015)
+
Man About Town (Mike Binder, 2006)
+
Déjŕ Vu (Tony Scott, 2006)

While working for an experimental FBI unit, ATF agent Denzel Washington tries to solve a bombing case and save the life of a dead woman (Paula Patton) by using a time-travel method.
Fighting Mad (Jonathan Demme, 1976)

Indie Game: The Movie (Lisanne Pajot & James Swirsky, 2012)

Thomasine & Bushrod (Gordon Parks Jr., 1974)
+
Durakovo: Village of Fools (Nino Kirtadze, 2008)

There’s a town in Russia where parents send their children to live under oppression just like the Soviets had; there they are taught of the corruption of the west and learn to obey Putin and his underlings – all in the name of God.

The Lives Of Others

This has been on my radar since coming to MoFo but I have just now got around to it. I thought it was pretty great. It is about everything. Politics, sex, art, voyeurism, and loyalty. The great thing is despite it having all these thematic elements it never feels forced or unrealistic. If I have a gripe it is that Wiesler's motivations are pretty unclear. It seemed like they could have solved this by not making him so strident at the start. It is a small complaint though, this film is aces.

Carrie (David Carson, 2002)

The Absent-Minded Professor (Robert Stevenson, 1961)

The Comedians (Peter Glenville, 1967)

Avalon (Barry Levinson, 1990)

Immigrant Armin Mueller-Stahl reminisces about his arrival in America in 1914 (where he’s played by Michael Krauss) when he joined his family in Baltimore. Most of the film follows his large family during the ‘40s and ‘50s.
Detropia (Heidi Ewing & Rachel Grady, 2012)

The Shaggy Dog (Charles Barton, 1959)

Face of a Fugitive (Paul Wendkos, 1959)

The Blue Umbrella (Saschka Unseld, 2013)

The Blue Umbrella gets separated by the crowd from his potential girlfriend, the Red Umbrella.
Immoral Tales (Walerian Borowczyk, 1974)

Grandma (Paul Weitz, 2015)

The Whip Hand (William Cameron Menzies, 1951)

Chinatown (Roman Polanski, 1974)

”The Midget” (Roman Polanski) threatens private dick Jack Nicholson as L.A. Water Dept. security Roy Jenson holds him.
Ivy (Sam Wood, 1947)

Cartel Land (Matthew Heineman, 2015)

The Black Book aka Reign of Terror (Anthony Mann, 1949)
+
Dirty Dancing (Emile Ardolino, 1987)

While vacationing in the Catskills, rich girl Jennifer Grey falls for gigolo dance instructor Patrick Swayze.
Around the World in Eighty Days (Michael Anderson, 1956)

Deadline at Dawn (Harold Clurman, 1946)
+
The Rage: Carrie 2 (Katt Shea, 1999)

13 Tzameti (Géla Babluani, 2006)
+

Two men, including the Georgian immigrant protagonist (George Babluani - right), prepare for a duel involving a variation of Russian roulette.

Thoughts on Immoral Tales, Mark? I'm curious about Borowczyk. I have Goto, Island of Love sitting on my shelf ready to be watched. Is his influence on the Quay brothers obvious?

I don't know that I saw any influences on the Quays in this one, except that three of the four stories have little to no dialogue. I haven't seen any of Borowczyk's animation, and I've only seen a few Quay Bros. movies. Anyway, this film is easy on the eyes with lots of naked women and good photography, sets, etc., and passes by quickly, but it's not especially superior to Jean Rollin's films (or masterpieces, as Minio calls them) as far as I'm concerned.

The Hateful Eight.

Tarantino's best since Jackie Brown. The wet-dream revenge fantasies? Gone. The sheer aesthetic thrill of the kill? Played down. The appropriation of history for kudos (because, let's face it, that's what those last two films were: comic book movies saved by quote-unquote gravitas)? Replaced by an engagement with the now. Too long? Sure. Misogynistic? Naturally. Fine? Very.

The first half is as good as anything I saw in any movie in 2015. It loses ground through the second half but is still very good and is emotionally devastating. I would definitely take out the last two pieces of narration but that is a small gripe. I will be rooting for Larson at the Oscars.

Took me way too long to see this film. I saw it was leaving Netflix on the first so figured it was about time. This movie walks a pretty great tight rope between being incredibly dark and being a light and entertaining ride. The soundtrack and Travolta carry this but both are fantastic. I am caught between a 3.5 and 4 for a rating but it will have to wait for a rewatch for that extra half star.

Desirable (Archie L. Mayo, 1934)

Dr. Monica (William Keighley, 1934)

Gentlemen Are Born (Alfred E. Green, 1934)

A Modern Hero (G.W. Pabst, 1934)

Randy circus bareback rider Richard Barthelmess learns from his mother Marjorie Rambeau that he’s the illegitimate son of a rich man and determines to follow in his father’s footsteps in Pabst’s only American film.
Stars Over Broadway (William Keighley, 1935)

The White Cockatoo (Alan Crosland, 1935)
+
The Quiet American (Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1958)
+
Hearts and Minds (Frank Davis, 1974)

Archival footage of General George S. Patton praising the men who died under his command in WWII. The same simplistic approach to killing for killing’s sake to “free” the Vietnamese people and prevent the “Domino theory” was used to disastrous effect during the Vietnam War.
The Green Berets (John Wayne & Ray Kellogg, 1968)

Project Almanac (Dean Israelite, 2015)

Annie (Will Gluck, 2014)
-
The Deer Hunter (Michael Cimino, 1978)

Vietnam vet Robert De Niro returns to Saigon to find buddy Christopher Walken still playing Russian roulette and tries to convince him to return home.
Maggie (Henry Hobson, 2015)
+
Pawn Sacrifice (Edward Zwick, 2015)

Lady in the Water (M. Night Shyamalan, 2006)

The Nun’s Story (Fred Zinnemann, 1959)

Sister Luke (Audrey Hepburn) is amused when she arrives in the Congo to be a nurse and learns that the jungle drums proclaim her nice-looking and of child-bearing age.
Some Call It Loving (James B. Harris, 1973)

Dennis Miller: America 180ş (Jay Chapman, 2014)
-
Mortdecai (David Koepp, 2015)
+
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (Milos Forman, 1975)

McMurphy (Jack Nicholson) arrives at the mental hospital and gives out a war cry when he learns that the mammoth man (Will Sampson) he just met is the deaf and dumb Indian known as Chief.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
January

Feature films:

The Wonderful Horrible Life of Leni Riefenstahl

Star Wars Ep. 7
+
The Croods

Vantage Point

Nowhere to Run

Paul Blart: Mall Cop

Head-On

My Life as a Dog