Ever Turn Off A Movie Because Of The Music?

Tools    

I came close to doing this for Ladyhawke because the soundtrack is so bad. While I didn't turn it off completely, I paused it a few minutes in and searched for a cut with an alternate soundtrack. Alas, I was confusing it with another '80 fantasy movie, Legend, which does have one. I still liked it, but wow, I never want to hear another note of that movie's soundtrack ever again.

A system of cells interlinked
Although I didn't turn it off, Silent Running gave me a deep loathing for all things Joan Baez.

I very often watch films/shows explicitly for the soundtrack, as in, I might hate the thing, but if it’s got Nick Cafe in it, I’ll stick it out (as with Scream), but some do make one cringe. It’s usually the pop, nothing original there.

Then again, I’m someone very tuned into music, and I have very strong, exhausting synesthesia, so that sometimes makes me resistant to/annoyed by the so-called emotional manipulation by music more than by other things. Maybe it’s because it isn’t subtle (but I think it’s not quite that), but I’ve always been really turned off by the Tchaikovsky when people hug and “reunite” and such. Though I adore, worship the strategic Psycho violin screech chords, so I guess it’s all about how/how well it’s done.

I don't think I've ever stopped watching a movie specifically because of the music, but there have been a lot of films where I found the music a little ham-fisted and intrusive. In general, I've found the music in a lot of melodramas of the 40's and 50's to be way too much.

I don't think so but it is one of the primary reasons I've never started The Sound Of Music so perhaps that almost counts?

I came close to doing this for Ladyhawke because the soundtrack is so bad. While I didn't turn it off completely, I paused it a few minutes in and searched for a cut with an alternate soundtrack. Alas, I was confusing it with another '80 fantasy movie, Legend, which does have one. I still liked it, but wow, I never want to hear another note of that movie's soundtrack ever again.

This is a project someone needs to complete. Ladyhawke needs a new score. I gave it a shot, but my software was consumer-grade and the synthesized music blares over a lot of the dialogue. I failed.

I don't think I've ever stopped watching a movie specifically because of the music, but there have been a lot of films where I found the music a little ham-fisted and intrusive. In general, I've found the music in a lot of melodramas of the 40's and 50's to be way too much.
See now I love that music from the 40's and 50's.
I hated the music from Educating Rita. During a re-watch, I really liked the movie but hated the soundtrack. I think I have skipped re-watching movies from this era due to hating the soundtracks in later years. I had no problem with them in the Eighties but now it just rubs me the wrong way.

Requiem for a dream... A part of it was the music i actually can't listen to that song because of the end of that movie. It was really everything and I never want to watch it again.

This is a project someone needs to complete. Ladyhawke needs a new score. I gave it a shot, but my software was consumer-grade and the synthesized music blares over a lot of the dialogue. I failed.
Oh well, nice try. It would be interesting to find out how much one would have to raise to commission and/or Kickstart a new Ladyhawke score. Someone get Harold Faltermeyer (my choice to make a new one) on the line, stat!

I've said this many times, but I'd really like to see a re-release of Forbidden Planet (1956) with the synthesizer sound effects (can't even call it music) replaced with a John Williams background score treatment!

I've seen the movie several times, and will re-watch it, but sometimes turn it off because the noise just becomes annoying.

See now I love that music from the 40's and 50's.
I hated the music from Educating Rita. During a re-watch, I really liked the movie but hated the soundtrack. I think I have skipped re-watching movies from this era due to hating the soundtracks in later years. I had no problem with them in the Eighties but now it just rubs me the wrong way.
I should mention this as well...even though I've never turned off his movies because of it, the music in just about every Spike Lee movie is awful.

I should mention this as well...even though I've never turned off his movies because of it, the music in just about every Spike Lee movie is awful.
Whatever you say, Sal.

Requiem for a dream... A part of it was the music i actually can't listen to that song because of the end of that movie. It was really everything and I never want to watch it again.
Interesting, I adore Clint Mansell and that one specifically so much that I drive to it often. But I do totally relate that it’ll annoy the hell out of you towards the end. I get that when there’s a theme in a show I’m watching and sometimes I need to take a break from watching it just because of the opening and closing credits music.

The closest I came to this was when I watched the film 'Once'. The film is terrible and the music is even worse. It's an abomination of a film. I would have turned it off if it wasn't for the fact that I promised a friend I'd watch it if he watched a film I recommended.

I very often watch films/shows explicitly for the soundtrack, as in, I might hate the thing, but if it’s got Nick Cafe in it, I’ll stick it out (as with Scream), but some do make one cringe.
Love Nick Cave too. Really need to see his new film 'This Much I Know to Be True'. He has also teamed up with his old pal Andrew Dominik to do the score for the upcoming Marylin Monroe biopic 'Blonde'.

Love Nick Cave too. Really need to see his new film 'This Much I Know to Be True'. He has also teamed up with his old pal Andrew Dominik to do the score for the upcoming Marylin Monroe biopic 'Blonde'.
Oh, sweet! Looking forward to Blonde even more now. I did see This Much I Know to Be True recently, it was gorgeous.