The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

MASH: Absolutely top notch film by one of the greatest American filmmakers who ever lives. It's cynicism is breathtaking. But it's one of those comedies I mostly nod in recognition towards the funny parts, and don't really laugh.

DAZED AND CONFUSED: This is obviously on my list. But I did struggle at how strong a 'comedy' it is. I think I let it squeak by for the good vibes it gives me. It makes me happy, which is an unfamiliar sensation, like my stomach is full of goldfish. And that I think is close enough to laughter. I guess.

Bricktop is one of the best villains in movies. And was most probably inspired by Alex Ferguson.

I don't find much difference between Snatch and Lock, Stock..., though one could say Snatch was more commercial and Lock, Stock... had an indie feel to it.

Love them both.

I love Snatch, and it is funny, but if it went on a genre ballot of mine it would be crime.

Best in Show is great but it's too family friendly to be a favorite of mine

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
What a mixture became this countdown... To see Snatch here is a big surprise.
It was my #4 for the 2000's countdown but to be here never occurred to me.

One of the most re-watchable movies for me together with its prequel. Superb works by the British Tarantino.

---

Couple of years ago, I've accidentally learnt about Best in Show. While watching it, I've changed my mind every ten minutes if this is extremely dumb film or actually a good satire. Finally, I've decided it is not bad at all.

Top 100 seen 11/28.
(seen one pointers 4/42 • )
--
My list:
1. The Gold Rush (1925) [#83.]
5. The Kid (1921) [#88.]
7. One, Two, Three (1961) [#85.]

Haven't seen " Snatch".

Just remedied this, the film is currently on Netflix. Found the film funny with an entertaining ensemble. Maybe too big for the story line, many of the characters lacked definition, in my opinion. Is it worthy, that's in the eye of the beholder. Doubt it would make my top 100.

6/10

As a docudrama about my love life, The 40-Year-Old Virgin muddies a lot of the details, but as a more "mature" sex comedy, it's pretty great. Like all Apatow movies, it's too long, but it possesses more heart and sweetness than most comedies with a concentrated focus on crude humor. I guess you could also technically call this a romantic comedy. Keener and Carrell have great chemistry. Even the deleted scenes and alternate takes are hilarious, with Rudd, Jane Lynch, Rogen and crew on their ad-lib A-game. Certainly one of the best comedies of the 2000's, and I much prefer it to the more popular Wedding Crashers released the same year.

To Be or Not to Be and Dazed and Confused were at least considered for my ballot. The latter is one of my all-time favorites, but I chose to omit it since my admiration for it lies mostly in its secondhand nostalgia and laidback, hang-out vibes rather than in its ability to provoke an abundance of laughs. The audacious To Be or Not to Be was penalized for having only seen it once, but I'm confident that a re-watch would've landed it a spot. Easily my favorite Lubitsch film (although I've only seen a small fraction). Brilliant script. I'm a firm believer that no subject should be off-limits in comedy, no matter how heinous or tragic, and To Be or Not to Be is a superlative example of how to wring amusement from the unfunniest subjects.

I've probably only watched Christmas Vacation twice from beginning to end, yet I feel like I've seen it over a hundred times since it plays non-stop on TV throughout December. I'll usually put down the remote and watch for a bit if it's near the Christmas dinner sequence, which is the funniest section of the movie for me. Wayne's World I watched for the first time a few years ago and really enjoyed. I've always been drawn to heavy-partying, burn-out, rock or metal obsessed characters, but Wayne and Garth appeared more nerdy than cool so I never sought out the film despite enjoying their skits on SNL. They're definitely huge nerds, but that's part of their charm. Wayne's IQ is higher than his airheaded peers, and that gives the film a sort of intelligent stupidity. Wayne's World is also a rare example where meta-humor and 4th-wall breaking actually works for me.

Stripes was just okay. I've found that Bill Murray works best for me when he's either part of an ensemble or just a minor character or cameo. House is a live-action Scooby-Doo cartoon on acid. The hallucinogenic visuals work best for me in .GIF format. Surprised to see it make the countdown but I always underestimate the size of its cult following. Clueless is good but not a movie I feel any desire to revisit. When Harry Met Sally is one of the better rom-coms. I'd probably enjoy it more if it starred anyone but Billy Crystal, who is one of my least favorite actors.

The Gold Rush was the first silent I ever watched. Several scenes remain vivid in my memory, but my inexperience with silent films at the time also meant that I was quite restless during it. I remember The Kid more for its heartwarming tenderness than its comedy. Don't care for The Producers or Mel Brooks in general. Step Brothers has its share of laughs, but they're mostly concentrated in the first half, and the overall film is too uneven to be a favorite. I voted for a different Adam McKay film starring Ferrell and John C. Reilly.

O Brother, Where Art Thou? gets better with every viewing, and features an all-time great soundtrack, but there's still a few Coen Bros. films I'd rank above it. MASH was more off-putting than amusing, but I feel like I should give it another go someday. I mostly just remember the football sequence, which felt like something lifted from a bad sitcom. Best in Show was hit or miss with me depending on which character was on screen at the moment. Snatch is by far the worst film to make the countdown. I've disliked or outright hated everything I've seen from Guy Ritchie, which is odd since he's always compared to my favorite filmmaker, Quentin Tarantino. Some of their films might look similar from afar, but when you get up close you see that Ritchie is merely the slack-jawed, booger-eating, mouth-drooling, unibrowed distant cousin from Britain who suffered severe head trauma as a child. At least Snatch's appearance gives me hope that enough others recognize Pulp Fiction as a comedy for it to also make the countdown.

Pee-wee's Big Adventure and One, Two, Three are the only entries that I haven't seen. Almost everything Billy Wilder made is great, so I'm sure the latter is no exception. I have extremely vague memories of watching Pee-wee's Playhouse as a toddler, and one of my first presents from Santa was that big blue chair with eyes and a mouth from the show, but I've never had much interest in watching the movie. Pee-wee Herman just seems like such an obnoxious character. His laugh alone makes me cringe. Who knows, though, maybe I'll like the movie more than I suspect. Tim Burton, before he devolved into a parody of himself, was responsible for a lot of my favorites. That includes Beetlejuice, which was #12 on my ballot. I'll save my write-up for it for a separate post.

Snatch is one of Guy Ritchie's better movies but I haven't seen it in years. Have not seen Best in Show.

Haven't seen Snatch in years and my memory of it is very faded, but I remember liking it and gave it 3.5/5 at the time, for what it's worth.

Haven't seen the other

Tomorrow guess, because why not
A Christmas Story
Annie Hall

The truth is in here
Snatch is the first movie from my list. I'm an admirer of Guy Ritchie's work, and although he's kinda been at a lost place in later years (The Gentlemen though was superb) this one will always hold up as a crime classic. The characters and the dialogue is highly memorable and on the level of a Tarantino film. Brad Pitt is frequently and deservingly praised, but Jason Statham, Vinnie Jones, Alan Ford among others are just as fantastic. Ford in particular steals every scene he's in, wickedly hilarious while remaining a very intense threat. With how much charisma he always brings it's a crying shame he's not a more household name.

Dark British humor and ensemble comedy at its sharpest.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched Best in Show for this countdown because it was recommended by a few people. I thought the first part, (the interviews), was kind of slow, and the people were annoying, but it picked up when they got to the dog show. I think I would have liked it more if the whole movie took place during the dog show, with the interviews scattered throughout that day. I also would have liked to see the immediate reactions of the people whose dogs didn't win, not their reactions six months later.

I watched Snatch for the 2000s Countdown, but all I really remember about it is that the accents were so strong that I could barely understand anyone.

Victim of The Night

Beetlejuice

Juno: What's wrong?
Barbara: We're very unhappy.
Juno: What did you expect? You're dead!

If I had the time to rewatch this I hazard to guess I would have found a spot for it somehow. A heavy Rewatch film from my earlier daze that has been a while since my last revisit but one I truly enjoy. One of my favorite Winona Ryder roles and I've loved Catherine O'Hara ever since watching her on the Canadian skit show SCTV so her sublime approach to characters like her is an utter delight for me. Unlike others, I continue to believe Michael Keaton nailed his bombastic role of Beetlejuice.
Unlike what others?
Where is there another performance anything like that at the time? Keaton was/is an incredibly talented and creative guy.

Of the Christopher Guest mockumentaries, the one I've seen is A Mighty Wind. I liked it. Yeah, Best in Show ought to be a good one when I finally get around to seeing it.

I think I saw Snatch in theaters. Younger me enjoyed it, especially right off of Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. I'm not sure how much of a comedy it is. But there are funny elements to it and that's good enough for now.

Faildictions:

Mouse Hunt
Adam's Rib

78. Beetlejuice 1988
I do like this film. Peak Tim Burton perhaps, but not my favourite of his.

77. O Brother Where Art Thou 2000
This is on my rewatch list. I remember thinking it was ok but nowhere near the top Coen's film.

76 Mash (1970)
Never seen it

75. Dazed and Confused (1993)
Classic film. So many memorable characters. Not on my list though

74. Best in Show
Not seen

73. Snatch
Good fun film but wasn't in contention for my top 25

Unlike what others?
Where is there another performance anything like that at the time? Keaton was/is an incredibly talented and creative guy.

I remember at least one person in this thread said they felt Keaton was miscast and it would have benefitted from having Jim Carrey in the role.
I think there may have been one or two other people before that that also said they felt Keaton's performance... something. I just remember scratching my head at those comments, and then tried mentally picturing Jim Carrey in an early Tim Burton movie and immediately turned off that channel.