Best Of Johnny Depp?

Tools    

What are some favorite movies of his? Any of his really old ones any good like "private resort" or whatever. What are some must sees?

pirates of the caribbean

In Tyler We Trust
Ed Wood and Pirates of the Caribbean.
One of those.

Anyone get the secret window dvd?????

I'd put his five best as...

1. Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas (1998 - Terry Gilliam)
2. Dead Man (1995 - Jim Jarmusch)
3. Ed Wood (1994 - Tim Burton)
4. Donnie Brasco (1997 - Mike Newell)
5. Arizona Dream (1993 - Emir Kusturica)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

waterisforcowards,waterma kesyouweak
you've got to see donnie brasco with my 2 fav actors pacino and depp.
based on a true story screw renting it buy it got mine for ten bones

Mrs. BDT to y'all
Pirates of the Caribbean, his accent,mannerisms and facial expressions are class, 10/10 4 our jonny

Anyone see that Private resort movie? Or Lost In La Mancha? Ive tried looking for both of those at hollywood and couldnt find them.

Originally Posted by LordChuchu
Anyone see that Private resort movie? Or Lost In La Mancha? Ive tried looking for both of those at hollywood and couldnt find them.
Private Resort is a cheesy below-average raunchy teen comedy of the day. It's unremarkable in every single way, very standard stuff. Watching pre-"21 Jump Street" Depp and pre-"Northern Exposure" Rob Morrow is about the only aspect that makes it a mild curio. Andrew Clay has a small role too, before he was The Diceman. Unless it's on cable TV somehwere, I wouldn't recommend putting a lot of time or energy into finding a copy of Private Resort.

Lost in LaMancha, on the other hand, is a great flick, and shouldn't be too too difficult to find. In case you don't know, it's a documentary that was being filmed as a behind-the-scenes featurette for the making of The Man Who Killed Don Quixote, a comic fantasy written and directed by Terry Gilliam, starring Depp and Jean Rochefort. During the course of the documentary, the production begins to fall apart, and it is all captured on film. It's probably the first unmaking-of for a major film (The Man Who Killed Don Quixote was never finished). Lost in LaMancha belongs right up there with Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmmaker's Apocalypse and Burden of Dreams as the best unvarnished looks at the struggle to get an ambitious movie made. As far as watching it to see Johnny Depp, the main focus if the movie is on the director, Gilliam, and not what Depp has to do. But he is in it, and the few scenes that did make it to celluloid mostly feature Johnny. LaMancha should be available at even most mainstream video stores (Blockbuster and Hollywood Video). Perhaps you're just looking in the wrong section?

So many good movies, so little time.
1. Dead Man
2. Donnie Brasco
3. Pirates of the Caribbean
4. Ed Wood

4 good movies.

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

I love Johnny Depp! Here are some of his best movies in my opinion

-Chocolat

-Blow (he was awesome in blow)

-Whats Eating Gilbert Grape

-Edward sissorhands

-Donnie Brasco

-Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (its a trippy movie, but he was great in it)

-Pirates of The Carribean

I also loved Don Juan De Marco. It was a nice easy going movie, and hes totally stunning in it.

Originally Posted by Black Mamba

I also loved Don Juan De Marco. It was a nice easy going movie, and hes totally stunning in it.

i loved don juan de marco!!! i can't believe i forgot it..thanks for reminding me!!!

is it true johhny depp is playing willy wonka in the new film

Originally Posted by save charles manson
Is it true Johnny Depp is playing Willy Wonka in the new film?
Yes, directed again by Tim Burton, and going back to the Roald Dahl book's title (Charlie & the Chocolate Factory).

i dont think johhny depp is able to replace gene wilder.i think depp is a good actor, but not for some thing like this

I think he's quirky enough to pull off the movie..but no one thus far can replace gene wilder. I can't wait to see it though

Bug Planet Proximus
Originally Posted by save charles manson
i dont think johhny depp is able to replace gene wilder.i think depp is a good actor, but not for some thing like this
i agree. Its not a matter of wether johnny depp is talented enough to pull it off, but wether he can replace Gene Wilder.

I think that most of Depp's 'best' movies are all based on his performance and not wether the movie was good or not. Of all his movies the only ones i feel like i can really really watch over and over are Ed Wood, Edward Scissorhands and Pirates OTC. I enjoyed Fear & loathing Las Vegas and Donnie Brasco a fair bit but they are just missing that something that not even johnny depp could provide.
Donnie Brasco just cant be a classic mobster movie no matter how hard it tries,
and i never really liked the book to Fear & loathing las vegas in the first place before i watched the movie.

i think Blow is a classic example of a less than average film that is carried by Depp.

Put me in your pocket...
There's still quite a few of his movies I haven't seen, but of the ones I have my favorites are....

Pirates of the Caribbean
Ed Wood
Edward Scissorhands
Chocolat
Don Juan DeMarco

Who can forget "Once Upon A Time In Mexico"? He does a great job in that. I love the line "Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T". I thought "What's Eating Gilbert Grape", "Blow" and "Pirates of the Caribbean" were great films also. He's come a long way since "Nightmare on Elm Street"....